Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello from a wannabe-hardcore-hanger in Sweden!

Hi, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself a bit before I start bugging you with all sorts of questions that you've heard all before...

My name is Karl, called Kalle, 35 years old, and I live in Malmö, a city in the southern part of Sweden. I LOVE hammocks! I guess I discovered the beauty of hammock sleeping when I was backpacking through the south pacific a long time ago. The simplicity and comfort is what really got me.

I live in a city, I don't have a drivers license (shh, don't start, I've heard it all before!) So i've had a hard time getting out in to the woods the last few years, especially since I got my son. There's always something that needs to be done in the house... But now my son is six and I think I can start to bring him on shorter hikes and treks. So that will be a lot of fun. I have really missed the outdoors, sleeping outside, being away from computers and televisions and the whole thing.

And on top of that I now discovered that there really is a way to go camping year round in my favourite bed - the hammock! I really look forward to start building and sewing gear and to get out there!

A thing that I wonder about is how you would set up a camp if you'd like to bring your six year old with you? He is not used to sleep in the woods at night and I know he will want to sleep really close to me. Any tips? I guess you could make a bigger hammock and share it?

So, thanks for a really nice forum, it's perfect for a gear geek like myself!

/Kalle

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

Sharing a hammock no matter the size would be very tricky and uncomfortable, since you both will just sort-of gather in the middle. Some people bunk the hammocks (put your son on the top hammock), and sometimes your able to find trees really close (we always have). There is a thread somewhere here where a pole is used on two trees to have two hammocks off each side of the pole. I'll have to search for that thread.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    First off, welcome to HF from Bama.............An interesting read would be justjeff's website tothewoods.net. He discusses taking kids along on hikes and camping in hammocks.

You could try to get him used to the woods by going to a local park and hanging out together during the afternoons. If the park will let you hang overnight or you have a backyard you can always start out doing some overnighters to get him used to sleeping in a hammock as well. There is also the idea of bunk style hangs, you basically place his hammock above yours on the same trees and you share a tarp.

My daughter has gotten rid of her bed and converted to hammocks for sleeping on a stand I built for her in her room. When she has a friend or cousin sleep over at the house she has a second hammock that she hangs bunkstyle and lets her guest sleep above her for the night. So far it has been a wonderful experience for her and her slumber-buddies have all had a great time with her. Good luck getting back to the woods and I hope your son enjoys the ime he spends with you in them as well.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada! I hope to bring out my son on trips as well (soon enough) and am planning to bunk our hammocks to be close.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    First off, welcome to HF from Bama.............An interesting read would be justjeff's website tothewoods.net. He discusses taking kids along on hikes and camping in hammocks.

You could try to get him used to the woods by going to a local park and hanging out together during the afternoons. If the park will let you hang overnight or you have a backyard you can always start out doing some overnighters to get him used to sleeping in a hammock as well. There is also the idea of bunk style hangs, you basically place his hammock above yours on the same trees and you share a tarp.

My daughter has gotten rid of her bed and converted to hammocks for sleeping on a stand I built for her in her room. When she has a friend or cousin sleep over at the house she has a second hammock that she hangs bunkstyle and lets her guest sleep above her for the night. So far it has been a wonderful experience for her and her slumber-buddies have all had a great time with her. Good luck getting back to the woods and I hope your son enjoys the ime he spends with you in them as well.
    Pictures please

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I am still trying to find that thread . I know Gumbo and Timberr use this pole method I'm speaking of. It's very nice and they are literally next to one another.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Howdy from Georgia!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Not quite what I was looking for, but here is a thread to different approaches:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33909

Bunking seems to be a good way to go! Thanks for your welcome and your tips! I just stumbled upon justjeff's website and read his article on camping with kids. It can be done!

Ever since my first camping in a hammock during a canoe trip 6-7 years ago, during which I didn't have a tarp or anything just a hammock and a sleeping bag, I've been thinking on solutions and techniques to be able to get more protection and comfort. It's been mostly done in my head and not in practice, but it's so much fun to discover that I'm not alone with this itch! And that this thing called internet can bring us all together!

Someday I hope to be able to contribute as much to this forum as some of you other guys!

THANK YOU!

/K

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle

bunk style hammocks

Diva B and Kalle:
    Here is a pic of my daughter and her cousin hanging last summer in her room on her stand. The top hammock is a Skeeter Beeter Pro and the bottom hammock, my daughters, is a ENO DN.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast