I've built a couple of bridge hammocks so far, mostly based off the dimensions for Dutch's Bridgeskin III because I like the shallow lay it offers. Gives me a nice view, and, (in my own mind) makes me a little less likely to become a bear burrito . My first attempt was actually flatter than my second, but I think that's because I dorked up the curve before I sewed the straps on the second time around.

Dutch uses two bars of the same length on his design, as do most other designs I see, but I am noticing a few folks using a shorter bar at the foot end than at the head end of their bridge designs. I'm curious if there are any distinct advantages to this? In my head, it seems like this might allow a little extra slack on the foot end that will let your feet sit down a little lower, giving you a flatter lay, but I can't decide if that would actually be the case.

Other than the depth of the curve at the center of the hammock as opposed to the ends, what else determines how flat a bridge lays?