Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Unrelated to hammocks.......But

I just wanted to say how great it is that so many of you support or are active with helping the scouts! I was a boy scout with troop 419 in minnesota and I can hardly wait until my boys are old enough to join. I didn't have the greatest father figure at home, and looking back, my scout master unknowingly became that male role model to me. You guys that are working with scouts might not realize it, but you have a huge impact on those kids! Just about a month ago I went over to my old scout masters house to finally say hello and tell him how much what he did meant to me. He's in his 90's now and still participates with the scouts... He is a great man. I'm glad I was able to thank him for everything he taught me!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm hoping that with the Scouts organization coming around to the use of hammocks other government agencies, state and federal, will soon agree to the use in their parks. The down side is there are so many scouts they may take all the trees

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Unrelated to hammocks.......But

I just wanted to say how great it is that so many of you support or are active with helping the scouts! I was a boy scout with troop 419 in minnesota and I can hardly wait until my boys are old enough to join. I didn't have the greatest father figure at home, and looking back, my scout master unknowingly became that male role model to me. You guys that are working with scouts might not realize it, but you have a huge impact on those kids! Just about a month ago I went over to my old scout masters house to finally say hello and tell him how much what he did meant to me. He's in his 90's now and still participates with the scouts... He is a great man. I'm glad I was able to thank him for everything he taught me!
    I had no father at home so I know how you feel. My Scoutmaster to this day calls me his "other son" and his son and myself are the best of friends. The kind that I'd trust my life with.

I'm going to try to help spread the hammock love hopefully this coming spring.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1db
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba camo
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Woopie
    My son & I are the only hangers in his troop..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    The local troop has gone almost exclusively to hammock use. This was after I showed up at an outing with one about 3 years ago and sang the praises of them (and was the only one that got a good night's sleep due to the heat). That and a change of leadership helped the troop come over to the light. Last campout we had only one out of a dozen campers in a tent.

So far the cub scout pack hasn't embraced them. I haven't found the exact reference but some claim they don't meet the privacy requirements for the Tigers. As long we're camping somewhere with facilities I don't see it should be a problem.

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    So far I am the only hanger in my Venturing crew but over the summer while working at a Camp Rainey Mountain in northeast Georgia I found many of the other staff members had Eno hammocks to relax in. I worked in the High Adventure program and every week we would take the participants backpacking. I was asked so many times during these trips about my hammock and every single week at least one of the participants bought a hammock from the trading post as soon as the trip was over. It's great to be able to pass on stuff like that to younger scouts.
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Talk of a Northern Tier trip by our troop before we joined got my son and I interested in hammocking.

Next thing I know, I'm on this forum and poorer in the pocket but richer in the soul!

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I haven't found the exact reference but some claim they don't meet the privacy requirements for the Tigers. As long we're camping somewhere with facilities I don't see it should be a problem.
    Well, I know the rule of thumb for Tigers is that they have to have a parent/guardian with them at all times. Maybe they think that being in a separate hammock doesn't count?

In terms of camping, the only difference between a tiger and a wolf is that the wolf can go to a council sponsored resident camp, while the tiger cannot.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pd...Insert_Web.pdf

If it's breaking some sort of privacy restriction, any privacy issue would be just as big of a deal for a wolf as it is for a tiger. No cubs are allowed to sleep in a tent with an adult not in their family, and that goes for Tigers - Webelos. But there's no rule that I'm aware of saying they have to be in the same tent (Hammock) with their parent.

Hammock
    HH Exped.
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    Big Agnes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I'm a scout leader as well. Both my son and I hammock. After this coming weekend I will have 40 nights in the hammock for the year. Hanging is the only way I could log that time in the woods.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    I agree with Cubmaster Tony's response and would only add to not forget to check in The Guide to Safe Scouting. Perhaps the subject should be raised during the next Roundtable and request position/clarification from the district/council leadership. Just a suggestion...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast