GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Backyard - Rain - Cold - new Gear!

Giving my new-to-me underquilt(Thanks BigTurtle!) a bit of a test tonight, see how it works out! Spent a few early mornings in it already and its very warm, we'll see how it likes 10mph wind + light rain and mid/high thirties tonight...

Forcast is light rain, 36-40f and west winds 5-10mph. Its 46f out there right now, about 6-7mph breeze and wet.

Also testing out a new min/max thermometer, diy down pillow and improved self-tensioning tarp tie-outs I made.

I'll have my netbook out there with me, so I'll try and put an update up if I wake up middle of the night (I'm hoping I don't cause I'm too cozy, lol)

Only my 2nd night in the rain with the hammock, should be fun!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I love rainy nights in a hammock, the rain on the tarp, the freshness in the air. Enjoy.

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I'm all snug in the hammock, wife gave me a n hour before I come sliding back into the warm bed... no faith!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    How have you extended your hammock stand? Are they extra lengths of tube in the top of the sides that I see there?

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    yeah... just some large diameter pvc. Its locked in by the S hook from the stand. I use it to string up the tarp, etc...

Still in the hammock, but nature called so i had to run in real quick. Its too warm, I'm having to vent like crazy. Still raining, not as windy. 44f right now... back to sleep.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I love it that you are on the Hammock Forums while actually in your hammock! Too cool!

I got on the forums thru my phone on my first solo overnight in my hammock...
    The critters were stirring enough to get my imagination going... It helped to chill me out! LOL.

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Well it never got as cold as I hoped it would. It only got down to 43f early this morning, rain stopped as well. Still out here waking up and enjoying the crisp air.

The gear all worked great, I do wish the light on the thermometer was a little stronger, very hard to see. Underquilt rocked, no movement, no cold spots, even in the cold wet air this morning is all puffed up and toasty. The down pillow also kept me warm, nice bonus.

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    An observation that I didn't notice the last time I had this tarp in rain. I noticed the inside of the tarp was "damp"... it never beaded up or ran down the inside of the tarp, but I did notice it was wet to the touch. At first I thought it was just the cold air and wetness on the outside making it feel wet, but as my back slid along the tarp on my way out this morning it got wet. Not real wet, but wet. It was pretty even wetness too, not just seep through a couple pinholes etc... there was no more or less near the seams, so I don't think it was the seams leaking at all.

Its an Etowah 10x10 tarp. Anyone else seen this at all? It did its job all night, nothing inside got wet, netbook was dry as can be, yet directly above it is where I noticed the wet feeling first.

I guess I'll spray it with some Camp Dry to help it bead off faster, maybe its just sitting on the fabric long enough to soak through a bit.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    An observation that I didn't notice the last time I had this tarp in rain. I noticed the inside of the tarp was "damp"... it never beaded up or ran down the inside of the tarp, but I did notice it was wet to the touch. At first I thought it was just the cold air and wetness on the outside making it feel wet, but as my back slid along the tarp on my way out this morning it got wet. Not real wet, but wet. It was pretty even wetness too, not just seep through a couple pinholes etc... there was no more or less near the seams, so I don't think it was the seams leaking at all.

Its an Etowah 10x10 tarp. Anyone else seen this at all? It did its job all night, nothing inside got wet, netbook was dry as can be, yet directly above it is where I noticed the wet feeling first.

I guess I'll spray it with some Camp Dry to help it bead off faster, maybe its just sitting on the fabric long enough to soak through a bit.
    That is pretty common on silnylon or nylon. Just condensation and dew and such....the tarp life!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Sung as a bug

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    An observation that I didn't notice the last time I had this tarp in rain. I noticed the inside of the tarp was "damp".......
    Being snug as a bug does have it's down side. You are creating a small warm spot under the tarp from your body heat. The moisture your body gives off passes through the down bag, raises to the tarp and condenses.

Same thing can happen on the inside of a Gortex cover if it's cold enough. Without pulling the cover and shaking it out over time the moisture can build up in the bag itself.

No problem with a few days but a couple of weeks can lead to a damp bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast