Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PA Packer

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Tarp
    DIY sil-cat

New PA Packer

Hi everyone,

I am a new backpacker at 43 years old. My son and I took our first trip last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it! We used 50% borrowed equipment as a trial run and I felt like I was sleeping in a coffin in my sisters tent. I decided after reading BPL and HF that I would rather try hanging than invest in my own lightweight tent. I recently purchased a GT Skeeter Beeter PRO and I'll plan to start by using my BA pad. Now I will start looking for a tarp. I assume when the weather is nice, you don't even need a tarp. Do most people always tarp as a precaution?

I also still need to purchase a bag/quilt and was thinking of going with a lightweight down bag like a Marmot Arete 40 degree since we'll do mostly warmer weather trips. Y'all are a wealth of knowledge, so any advice is welcomed!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the addiction! Borrow gear to get out again! I watch the weather. If it's nice with no chance of rain I don't put up my tarp. If it might rain I put it up but leave it hang above me in the snake skins ready to deploy. A sleeping bag as a top quilt is fine. A pad under you is also OK. Basically use whatever gets you into the piney woods.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies /straps
    Images
    Welcome from North Carolina

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    hey welcome from... PA! What part of the commonwealth are you from? Also, you'll do fine with a bag up top and a pad on the bottom, the tarp isn't a "must-have-before-hanging" but I wouldn't go out on an overnight without one.
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the wide world above the ground. IMO a tarp is always a good idea. Even in predicted good weather you just never know what Ma Nature is going to throw at you.. There are many pitching options to suit about every situtation.
    Terry

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Hey there and welcome! You'll love hammock life. Even my most uncomfortable nights have been better than my best nights on the ground. I have a Hennessy while my partner is in an eno. We each have our own tarps (my came with the hammock while she purchased hers from eno). We also have a kelty noah's tarp 12ft. During our trip this summer we bunk bedded our hammocks and used the kelty. It provided plenty of coverage hanging as both a diamond and in a rectangular configuration. There are plenty of options for tarps on hammock forums so I doubt you have too much trouble finding one that suits your needs. In regards to a bag, most folks here seem to go with top quilts which I have not used yet. However, both my partner and I use Big Agnes Lulu's rated to 20degrees. Oh, if you go with a bag get one rated colder than you think you'll need (especially for hammock use) because comfort range usually ends up higher than the actual temperature rating. Our main reason for the Big Agnes is that they have forgone the bottom insulation on the bag and have instead built in a pad sleeve. For now we are using REI 3/4 self inflating pads. i just fold some clothes in a bag for my foot insulation. This has worked out really well into the damp 40deg weather of southern Alaska. If you use a self-inflating pad just remember to let it fully inflate then let out enough to suit your comfort level. I found even when I forgot to close the valve I still had enough insulation so I never felt cold. Even in the heat of late Oklahoma summer it's cool enough in a hammock at night that I need a blanket and a pad for insulation for my underside. I like to snuggle with something when I sleep so I sleep with a small fleece blanket which I can use as an extra cover or something to tuck into a cold spot if one shows up during the night. Just a warning, once you get started on this particular path it's hard to get off. Hanging is addictive! Ask any one of the folks here and if they say otherwise, they're in denial. The hardest part of addiction, you know, is admitting you have a problem. Best of luck to you!

Sunny (OKC)

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcoem to HF from Bama............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Tarp
    DIY sil-cat
    Quote Originally Posted by joehasbeard View Post
    hey welcome from... PA! What part of the commonwealth are you from? Also, you'll do fine with a bag up top and a pad on the bottom, the tarp isn't a "must-have-before-hanging" but I wouldn't go out on an overnight without one.
    I'm from Columbia County which is the Bloomsburg area, off I-80. Where do you like to camp/backpack in PA?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast