Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So Santa is supposed to be bringing me a SuperShelter for my UL Backpacker, zip.

Do you think I should redirect his sleigh to get an UQ instead? And do you have to hack your Incubators to fit right with a HH?

There's been a lot of discussion going both ways with the HHSS.. I'd ask BillyBob as he seems to be the resident expert/banner carrier for the SS, but he'll steer you straight.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've had a lot of success with my supershelter down to the low 30s no problem at all.

Others have not.

I've suspected that part of my success may be due to using a synthetic sleeping bag as opposed to a down topquilt with this as well.

I sleep in/on my bag as well as have it over me, and I nearly always have a poncho liner (wubbie) with me as well. I've had some small amounts of condensation show up on my space blanket or OCF pad in the past, but never enough to affect performance.

I've also not had the chance to try this out in temps below the low-mid 30s so far either. I'll be hanging in a couple of weeks at a group hang, so might see more about how low I can go with the HHSS then hopefully.

What temp range do you expect to sleep out in, Jamey? What other gear/clothes do you plan on using to supplement the hammock insulation?

Just some things to take into account.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So my first try in the mid to upper 30's worked pretty well. Not "electric blanket warm" but compfortable.

Going back to look at the setup video I think I need to change how I attached the pad.

I had some condensation on top of the space blanket but it didn't seem to matter too much.

I'll have another chance in a few weeks at the next Scout outting to try it again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer007 View Post
    I'm on the fence between a full length (incubator or winter yeti) or 3/4 length UQ (phoenix or 3-season yeti). Can anyone give feedback on these products with the HH Exped? Is the 3/4 length enough to keep my feet warm (using reflectix)?

TB, unless something has changed, all Yetis- winter or 3 season- are torso length, no full length. WBG holds to the theory that a real man should not need any insulation for his feet.

Well, not really. If I remember right, from the beginning he was always of the opinion that there were usually some kind of fit problems under the legs with full length systems. Especially to the left side of a person lying with feet to the right on the diagonal. So why not just forget that and use a leg pad, which you already have with you as a sit pad or pack frame anyway? So that is all debatable, but that was his thinking, so coverage from shoulders to mid thigh only, then a pad takes over. And mine works great on my HH Explorer No Net. It would probably be miserable with a no zip model. You need to be able to reach out and adjust it.

As far as keeping your feet warm with reflectix, not sure. But, what kind of pad are you going to have with you for sitting around camp cooking or around the campfire in zero? Just use that under your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by jameyt View Post
    So my first try in the mid to upper 30's worked pretty well. Not "electric blanket warm" but compfortable.

Going back to look at the setup video I think I need to change how I attached the pad.

I had some condensation on top of the space blanket but it didn't seem to matter too much.

I'll have another chance in a few weeks at the next Scout outting to try it again.
    OK, so it looks like Santa brought you that HHSS and your question about maybe needing an UQ instead is moot! At least for now! Sounds like you did A-OK for 1st time in a HHSS. Base HHSS by itself is good to about 30s for me. So maybe you had it set up right. If nothing is upside down, and all of the tie outs match up ( left shoulder hammock tie out through left side pad and UC tie out openings, plus all that at the right knee area) there is not much else to do. Then it will either work for you or not. But you are smart to review the video and make sure you are following directions. Just remember the BIG benefit of the HHSS: Whatever insulation you are not sleeping in can go down in the UC either under the pad and space blanket ( or lighter stuff like extra socks or balaclava on top of pad/under sb) for a BIG boost. Potentially REALLY BIG boost. I mean, why store your unworn jacket in you pack at night, if you don't need to sleep in it? Just make sure that whatever you put there is not heavy enough to cause an UC sag more than it is able to loft up and solidly contact your back. ( unlikely ) You can just feel under the pad and make sure there are no gaps and exactly position the jacket or pants or vest where you want them. Play with it, and you will see how well it works. But you are off to a good start!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-28-2011 at 12:37.

I haven't used the products your talking about but I have slept in a TTTM hammock, a clark jungle hammock, and a hennessy in the cold. And the easiest for me and lightest to pack in cold weather is just stick a thermorest mat in your sleeping bag. I've slept in mine down to 17 deg and was fine. A co worker I have used his to 12 deg and was fine. Just another option for you its quick, easy and works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12