WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips

Tarp Comparison: SWT 10x11 vs JRB 11x10

I wanted to see these two tarps in person.
    So . . . I bought both.

And even though my hammock is MIA until next week . . . I wanted to set the two tarps up and take pictures for comparison purposes.

Here we go:

The stuff sacks:

The Speer bag (on the right) is actually fatter, but the tarp is packed more loosely in the bag (compared to the JRB).

Regular pitch:

1st, the JRB.

2nd, the Speer Winter Tarp:

Pull-outs and stitching:

1st, the JRB

and underside

ridgeline:

2nd, the Speer Winter Tarp

and the underside

underside of ridgeline:

Winter/storm pitch:

1st, the JRB:

(not the best setup by me, sides aren't properly set)

(got distracted by dogs . . . didn't get another angle)

"Patio" pitch:

1st, the JRB:

with flaps/doors tied up

Now I understand that my setup leaves something to be desired. I'm not really familiar with how to get the best pitch on each tarp yet.

My observations:

I feel that the stitching and finish on the JRB tarp is superior to the Speer Winter Tarp. It just looks and feels more "refined" in some ways. Having said that, I don't think that either tarp would have a seam or stitch failure. And from what I can tell . . . if they did, I think either manufacturer would take care of you.

I think that the pitch options on the Speer are superior to the JRB. I just like that the Speer pitches along one ridgeline with the ability to stretch, tie up, or close the door flaps. The JRB must be switched to its short ridgeline in order to use the flaps. It's hard to say without my hammock under it, but . . . my gut feeling is that I would find the storm (tarp-tent) pitch too short for my hammock.

As far as colors go . . . I think the JRB wins. I like the green or brown colors that the tarp is available in. Much better for stealth camping.
    The Speer color is cheerier, I must admit. But I think you can spot that grey pretty easily in the woods. Good for some folks, not so good for stealth.

Which tarp will I keep? I'm torn. I'm leaning towards the Speer, because I prefer the pitch options. But the JRB is a well-made tarp in a pleasing color. Hmmmm.

Hope my pictures help some of the rest of you.
    Last edited by RAW; 05-12-2008 at 09:23.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Raw,

Thanks for the comparision.

Is there a reason that you did not show and compare the Baker Style Lean-to pitch? .... This is a super pitch option designed into the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp.... It allow the hanging of hammocks at normal heights and provides full ridge line to ground wind protection on the windward side as well a over head cover.... This pitch further provides direct walk up access without having to enter from the end .... A super convient pitch option.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Is there a reason that you did not show and compare the Baker Style Lean-to pitch? ....

Primarily: I've never hung a tarp that way . . . so it's not something I thought of. Also because of where I have my lines attached--the baker style would have required another pair of lines or moving the lines I have.

And on the SWT, the Baker isn't really an option (unless I'm missing something).

I'll have to try that one next weekend when I head out on a motorcycle trip. I can bring both tarps with me.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    (heck, I may run back out there in a minute and try it)

Images
    Wow, excellent comparison and photos. Thanks mucho for doing that! Have you tried the JRB pitched on it's long ridge with the ends closed to varying degrees? As in this post: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4078

I would like to see how that compares to the SWT. IOW, they are both 11 foot by 10 foot rectangular cat cut tarps, so you would think that the coverage options would be fairly similar, at least when they are pitched on the 11 foot ridge. I suspected that the SWT would work better for closing the ends just because it has those sewn in "darts" and four tie outs per side.

But I have also thought that, maybe, I could somewhat simulate this effect by adding some grip clips at about the same point as the 3rd tie out on the SWT and also running a thin line from this grip clip up to the ridge line tie out on the JRB. And even without going toall that trouble, closing the ends somewhat works pretty well any way, though probably not as well as with the SWT.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Here's an extra shot (with slightly better lighting) of the underside pullout stitching on the SWT . . . this is at the base of one of the pleats.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Raw,

Is there a reason that you did not show and compare the Baker Style Lean-to pitch? .... This is a super pitch option designed into the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp.... It allow the hanging of hammocks at normal heights and provides full ridge line to ground wind protection on the windward side as well a over head cover.... This pitch further provides direct walk up access without having to enter from the end .... A super convient pitch option.

Pan
    Yep, I am excited to try that option myself. Do you tie the next to last out loops on the ends to the trees instead of the normal middle RL tie outs?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-11-2008 at 14:50.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Raw that was great looks like both of them do a fine job just about every way you hang it. I am not sure what baker style is I will be looking at this post to see if you take pictures of it with that style.

good job

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, I am excited to try that option myself. Do you tie the next to last out loops on the ends to the trees instead of the normal middle RL tie outs?
    BB58, et al,

Yes, that is why the 10 foot side is straight and the reason for the mid point tie outs between the regular ridgeline and the corners.....There are fairly good pics on this page... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/11%20x%2010%20Tarp.htm....Scroll down for additional photos.

Also, There is a tab centered on the ridgeline.... This tab is usefull in the Baker pitch if you are fighting wind, as it provides a center tie out against the windward side.

FWIW, I was under this pitch during the Spring MAHHA down pourings of Saturday night .... While some misting/ possible blow in was noticed all was bone dry when i awoke in the morning.

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 05-11-2008 at 19:10.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    RAW,
    Thanks for a good report. You have helped me confirm that I chose the best one for my needs, JRB. I have tried the pitches as BillyBob mentioned in the other thread. I like them and still only takes 6 stakes and doesn't require line relocation. I haven't tried the baker pitch, although I saw Pan using it at Mt. Rogers. After meeting both manufacturers personally, I feel that you are correct in thinking problems with quality would be handled fairly by either. Worth mentioning that the JRB comes with stuff sack but with SWT it is an option in the kit with lines.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pan - you might want to fix the double http:// on front of the link.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast