Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sayin hey

reenactor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore! There's nothing worse than a quiet noob. You're supposed to ask a lot of questions so we can all help you, while at the same time laughing at you! I've asked so many stupid questions I can't count them.

A few forum members might be in your area December 9 to 11 for a Pine Barrens hike and hang. Friday 12/9 7.5 mile hike from Batsto Village to Lower Forge Wilderness Camp, then hike 7 miles to Batona Camp and spend the night there Saturday. Here's the thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=43145

Dylan and I are planning on hiking in during the daylight hours on Friday (1 to 3 pm), but a couple of members like Kayak Karl may hike in at night.

If you want to join us and try out hammocking, I can bring a hammock setup that will work for you if you're not taller than 6 ft. Kayak Karl and Dylan have some sweet gear, and we all have different setups for you to check out. If you're taller than 6 ft., somebody might have a hammock you can borrow.

If you don't want to hike, you can always just meet us at Batona Camp Saturday night. You can drive in from Rt. 206 turning off on Carranza Road.

This will be my third trip to the Pine Barrens in a month. I have a couple of trip reports here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42286

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42964

If you can't make it this weekend, the 5th Annual NJ Winter Hang will be Jan. 27-29, 2012 at Batona Camp. It could be cold, but HF members can likely loan you gear to stay toasty!

Welcome again!
    hey thanks for all this info im a larger frame human lol im 6'2" and 275 lbs. lol i need to get myself some gear the will accommodate a guy of my size . CAN THIS EVEN BE DONE?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB BigMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Kick ass quilt:JBR
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by reenactor View Post
    im a noob to this style of campin i may ask alot of questions and they may sound stupid at times just dont know alot about hammocks and this new way of getting out in the woods . thank you in advance for your help and all that .
    howdy from texas... we all started the same place. ask away the forum folk are great we love to ask questions
    Ty

you dont' come close to pressing the limits buddy.. I've seen Big Papi in his hammock and he's literally a giant.. 7' 350lbs goliath (ain't that right papi),, should be a snap for you.

reenactor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    you dont' come close to pressing the limits buddy.. I've seen Big Papi in his hammock and he's literally a giant.. 7' 350lbs goliath (ain't that right papi),, should be a snap for you.
    any suggestions on gear and places i can get it .... im looking at the warbonnet blackbird double 1.7 ????// suspension needed ? any info would be great

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    hey thanks for all this info im a larger frame human lol im 6'2" and 275 lbs. lol i need to get myself some gear the will accommodate a guy of my size . CAN THIS EVEN BE DONE?
    That's no problem. Plenty of hammocks on the market to accommodate your frame or you can always make your own. However, I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs., and my three hammocks are all low-budget and built for people 6 ft. or smaller, 250 lbs. or less.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    any suggestions on gear and places i can get it .... im looking at the warbonnet blackbird double 1.7 ????// suspension needed ? any info would be great
    Oh man, that's a different can of worms entirely. So many vendors, so many choices. You'll get a thousand opinions on hammock/tarp/suspension/insulation combinations. It's hard to read about this stuff and make an informed decision. Attending a group hang, even if you do so in a tent, is the best way to make your purchasing decisions, in my opinion. You'll get to see different suspensions, hammocks, tarps, insulation, etc.

I attended the Fall MAHHA 2011 in Maryland and learned a lot. I think there were over 60 hangers there, and all sorts of things to check out. Even my last hang with just two other hangers, Kayak Karl and Syb, taught me a lot. Get out and see how folks hang rather than read about it!

reenactor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Oh man, that's a different can of worms entirely. So many vendors, so many choices. You'll get a thousand opinions on hammock/tarp/suspension/insulation combinations. It's hard to read about this stuff and make an informed decision. Attending a group hang, even if you do so in a tent, is the best way to make your purchasing decisions, in my opinion. You'll get to see different suspensions, hammocks, tarps, insulation, etc.

I attended the Fall MAHHA 2011 in Maryland and learned a lot. I think there were over 60 hangers there, and all sorts of things to check out. Even my last hang with just two other hangers, Kayak Karl and Syb, taught me a lot. Get out and see how folks hang rather than read about it!
    hey man thanx alot with all ur help im really thinkin about hooking up with u guys this weekend coming nut like u said all i have is a tend and its big not the 20x20 but still large .....stand up room ... i would have to drive in and unload so if people needed stuff hauled in its not a problem . im more set up for base camping then a long hike ...... kit about this event coming up and let me know if this is not going to be a problem for the others attending .

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    hey man thanx alot with all ur help im really thinkin about hooking up with u guys this weekend coming nut like u said all i have is a tent and its big not the 20x20 but still large .....stand up room ... i would have to drive in and unload so if people needed stuff hauled in its not a problem . im more set up for base camping then a long hike ...... kit about this event coming up and let me know if this is not going to be a problem for the others attending .
    Ground dwellers are always welcome! Nobody attending will have any problem with a tent. There were several tents when Kayak Karl, Syb and I went to Batona camp. It's not a hammock-only campsite!

I have a tarp, whoopie slings, tree straps, ccf blue foam pad, space blanket and even a 0* sleeping bag you can borrow. And I'm pretty optimistic we can find you a hammock to test out. Kayak Karl is at least 6'2" so he might have something you can borrow.

Batona Camp is great for driving in. You can bring everything and the kitchen sink if you want. I just wouldn't try approaching from the east (Chatsworth) unless you have a 4WD vehicle. Kayak Karl has directions from Rt. 206 coming in from the west off Carranza Rd. I think Batona Camp is less than 1000 yards from Carranza Road.

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Hey there from one reenactor to another. My part of history is the fur-trade and mountain men, but history is fun no matter what time your fond of. You're going to love life in the trees. It's a whole new world. There is no such thing as a stupid question, and life is alot easier when learned from those with experience. I'm sure you'll notice the folks to be just as friendly here as those who do reenactments. It's always a pay it forward type of environment in both communities. Good luck to you, I know you'll love it!

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the world above the ground.
    Terry

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast