Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Why not go silk on the inside instead of fleece? The batting is already providing the loft (and a good deal of bulk). The silk would hold it nicely, be comfortable and reduce bulk.
    You can lanolize silk, but I don't think fleece will handle it well without gunking up.
    Interesting thought ... one I didn't consider !!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Why not go silk on the inside instead of fleece? The batting is already providing the loft (and a good deal of bulk). The silk would hold it nicely, be comfortable and reduce bulk.
    You can lanolize silk, but I don't think fleece will handle it well without gunking up.
    silk...more research ... no sleep for the weary .. just looked at lanolizing .. I can also lanolize the wool...it's cheap and quite easy .. now to figure out silk .. it ain't cheap .. or what type of silk would work .. I have the Sea2Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner ... umm...wonder if I should cut this up...lol
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    silk...more research ... no sleep for the weary .. just looked at lanolizing .. I can also lanolize the wool...it's cheap and quite easy .. now to figure out silk .. it ain't cheap .. or what type of silk would work .. I have the Sea2Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner ... umm...wonder if I should cut this up...lol
    Silk is actually quite inexpensive if you shop around. The main driver for the lanolin would be the wool more than the silk.
    When I was thinking of my design, I was leaning more toward using small buttons for the quilting rather than quilting with a knot. By having the buttons, I could remove the shell and treat it one way while having the same option with the the batting. That would let you launder the shell by being able to wring it to get the dirt out (which is more likely on the shell) and not be as harsh on the batting. It could also allow for having two sets of batting for one shell- one thicker and one thinner. Just unbutton the shell and swap the batting.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The reason I started thinking about wool as an undercover is because I just used a wool blanket as an undercover last night. A fog rolled in, and there was a lot of dew, and it began settling on my UQ. I hung the wool blanket from the hammock ridgeline and voila! The down UQ stayed dry as did the hammock.

Unfortunately, a wool army blanket weighs a ton, which is why I thought I could get the same weather protection from lighter wool/denser weave like is used to make men's suits. Wool is not going to be windproof, but if you lanolinize it, I think it would keep you pretty dry.

MacEntyre has canvas hammock socks for cold-weather camping that weigh 4 oz. per yard (29 oz. total). Couldn't you make the same thing with wool? Surely they make wool that is lighter than 4 oz per yard.

And I'm strictly thinking about the weatherproofing capabilities of wool. The insulative properties are a bonus. I don't know if anyone has ever worn a wool sweater out in a snowstorm (I'm stupid that way), but the outer layer can be blanketed in snow and you don't even get wet. The moisture stays on the surface and doesn't penetrate.
    Hello Yes I am back ..older wise-*** and an owl covered with white hair.... and guess what - many YEARS working with wool. Realize no matter how you trap the air against your body, in a moisture condition wool will retain the water and Polypro will not - you are comparing a wool sweater from a long time ago with a undershirt from Under Armour its comparing a natural fiber with a manufactured one....

Don't take my word for it, if you spent some time in science - you can build an easy box from scrap wood to test for it... Very happy to help if wanted
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hello Yes I am back ..older wise-*** and an owl covered with white hair.... and guess what - many YEARS working with wool. Realize no matter how you trap the air against your body, in a moisture condition wool will retain the water and Polypro will not - you are comparing a wool sweater from a long time ago with a undershirt from Under Armour its comparing a natural fiber with a manufactured one....

Don't take my word for it, if you spent some time in science - you can build an easy box from scrap wood to test for it... Very happy to help if wanted
    Wouldn't adding lanolin remove the absorption of moisture? That's how they treat wool diapers, and one would think that if there is anything one would like to keep dry it would be a diaper!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    A pad would be the only item not saturated and still offering the same level of insulation thereby eliminating the bottom from the equation.

Another problem with fog is that it raises the humidity level and travels in a vapor state. There are not many solutions that will keep vapor from the outside out while allowing vapor from the inside to escape. While lanolin treated wool might be water resistant, it is still vapor permeable.
    The differential in temp between the inside of the wool undercover and the outside where the fog is should allow the fog to condense on the wool and still allow the vapor inside to escape. Unfortunately the inside will probably only be able to escape as far as to the outside of the fabric. Basically you're really counting on your body heat to push the vapor thru the fabric. But if there is visible moisture out there (fog) I doubt you can maintain a level of heat differential all night, eventually the wool is going to match the dew point and the vapor will condense on it. Which may be better than on your underquilt. Fog is just a difficult animal to tame especially in an open shelter like a tarp. If it were very cold out you'd be in better shape that at a temp where fog is present. (At least that's how I'd imagine that would work, I'm not a physicist but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night )
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Whole lot of naysayers here, hmmmmmm!!! I say go for it! You could go to Sportsman Guide ( here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...blanket&eMode= ) to get military wool blankets at a decent price (you might be able to find some cheaper with a little google foo)!

Take your idea and make it happen, test it out and let us know the results! Just because someone else has tried it and failed does not mean that you will, as the saying goes "no one's perfect"!

An awful lot of great pieces of gear have been made by the exact thought you had, hmmmmm I wonder if this would/could work???????

If it works it would be a "Great" car camping, or base camp gear item! Then you could star looking into lighter options keeping the same idea in mind, that being "Wool" of course!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Whole lot of naysayers here, hmmmmmm!!! I say go for it! You could go to Sportsman Guide ( here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...blanket&eMode= ) to get military wool blankets at a decent price (you might be able to find some cheaper with a little google foo)!

Take your idea and make it happen, test it out and let us know the results! Just because someone else has tried it and failed does not mean that you will, as the saying goes "no one's perfect"!

An awful lot of great pieces of gear have been made by the exact thought you had, hmmmmm I wonder if this would/could work???????

If it works it would be a "Great" car camping, or base camp gear item! Then you could star looking into lighter options keeping the same idea in mind, that being "Wool" of course!
    I concur ... go for it .. Hike Your Own Hike ...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post

I don't think anyone suggested that it wouldn't work. I believe the consensus on using wool for a weathershield is that:

1.) Using blankets would be a quite heavy proposition. When used on top and bottom.
    2.) Lighter wool fabrics probably are not durable enough in regard to the comparative tensile strengths of lighter synthetics.
    3.) Wool would probably have a better application and provide more benefit closer to the hammock occupant than the distance that a weathershield would present.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you're going down that road, just get one of these for the top and another for the bottom.

Great looking model...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast