Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Looks like you all had a nice trip. Wish I could have joined ya! Was that area closed for hunting while ya'll were there? Always good to brush up on the compass skills!
    We did. Sorry you couldn't make it, but there's always Ocala!

The Longleaf Flatwoods Preserve is off-limits to hunting these days (though we saw evidence that--at least within the last two decades some time--it was open for hunting at some point), which is why I chose it for the first G^3 hang. The Lochloosa WMA is larger and right across the street, but no camping is allowed during hunting season.

Yeah, I'm more than a bit rusty with a compass. Still, it's good to know that I hadn't forgotten everything...

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    That trip you were talking about, over by Florahome, what time frame were you thinking about? After looking at my calendar, I'm completely booked through to the second weekend in January.
    Well, we will just have to save it for later in the "winter" then.

Hey Rick! The preserve where we camped is a no hunting zone, but there is hunting on the adjoining properties. We bushwacked through the center of the preserve. Seemed like a perfect setup for cross country hiking, and it was! A little short maybe, but a fun exercise none the less.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Duffy and Fl rider,

Thanks for sharing the info. Its nice to know there is an area closed for hunting this time of year. Seems hard to find places to hike/hang and avoid gunfire for the next few months. Go figure, prime camping months is usually general gun season!

I too need to brush up on the compass skills also. I think Fl is about 3degrees west... right?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Duffy and Fl rider,

Thanks for sharing the info. Its nice to know there is an area closed for hunting this time of year. Seems hard to find places to hike/hang and avoid gunfire for the next few months. Go figure, prime camping months is usually general gun season!
    No problem. You're welcome to come on up this way any time.

Yeah, I agree about the difficulty. Still, the great outdoors should be there for everyone, including the hunters. I sure wouldn't want to sit in a blind in ninety-degree heat with a hundred percent humidity waiting for game, and it wouldn't be fair to expect that of others, either, I feel.

But, on the other hand, it's nice to have places to go where you don't have to wear blaze orange all the time to avoid being filled with small pieces of metal.

I too need to brush up on the compass skills also. I think Fl is about 3degrees west... right?
    On the compass, yes. According to this site, Gainesville's is 5 degrees, nineteen minutes. That increases by about a tenth of a degree (or six minutes) per year. So, check how old your maps are...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    No problem. You're welcome to come on up this way any time.

Yeah, I agree about the difficulty. Still, the great outdoors should be there for everyone, including the hunters. I sure wouldn't want to sit in a blind in ninety-degree heat with a hundred percent humidity waiting for game, and it wouldn't be fair to expect that of others, either, I feel.

But, on the other hand, it's nice to have places to go where you don't have to wear blaze orange all the time to avoid being filled with small pieces of metal.

On the compass, yes. According to this site, Gainesville's is 5 degrees, nineteen minutes. That increases by about a tenth of a degree (or six minutes) per year. So, check how old your maps are...

Cool site on the declination. Just got done playing around with it. Thanks!

I hear ya about the hunting, got no problem sharing the woods. I just like to hear about or find places to go where I don't have to be worrying about flying lead and I am not spoiling the hunters venture.I believe in the mutual respect. Always good to check the FWC site to see what areas are open or closed to hunting to be on the safe side.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    This was my third hang. I was a good time with a good group to hang and hike with. I learned alot from them.

Hopefully I can set up some posts in my backyard to adjust my equipment and get used to setting the hammock up.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ofceb View Post
    This was my third hang. I was a good time with a good group to hang and hike with. I learned alot from them.

Hopefully I can set up some posts in my backyard to adjust my equipment and get used to setting the hammock up.
    Like my demo, "How Not to Hang a Bear Bag"?

It was good to have you out there. I learned a thing or three from you, as well. I tried the overhand knot with the PLUQ suspension Sunday night and it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for pointing that out; it helped eliminate the slight CBS I was having.

I had an idea about those posts. Would it pay off to use your truck like you did at the site with one of the trees you mentioned in your yard? Or would that put too much strain on the rack?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images

Smile

I woke at about nine-ish, only to find out in the round of introductions around the camp that I'd managed to hang my bear bag not twenty feet from Duffy's hammock...oops... After profuse apologies on my part, he gracefully decided to forgive me.

I know you were sorry for this, but i busted a gut when i first read it sounds exactly what my buddies would do to me or vice versa.

Hammock
    HH Asym
    Tarp
    Hex
    Hey, Quick Question from a noobie... I read somewhere here that in Florida the State Park authorities don't permit anything to be hung from a tree, including hammocks. Someone quoted chapter and verse from the regs. Have you ever had an issue with that?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    I know you were sorry for this, but i busted a gut when i first read it sounds exactly what my buddies would do to me or vice versa.
    Heh. Well, I suppose if it's a good friend...

Still, this was the first time I'd ever met Duffy in person, and he still found it within himself to forgive my idiocy. It says something about the guy...

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoConfused View Post
    Hey, Quick Question from a noobie... I read somewhere here that in Florida the State Park authorities don't permit anything to be hung from a tree, including hammocks. Someone quoted chapter and verse from the regs. Have you ever had an issue with that?
    No, but I've also never tried to hang in a state park. The places that I've hung (Ocala National Forest, Longleaf Flatwoods Preserve, Black Creek Ravines WMA, etc.) haven't been part of the state park system. You've just got to look for spots other than in a state park down here. Which is unfortunate, but not a deal-breaker on hanging.

Even if I was to hang in a state park, I can set the Hennessy up as a mosquito bivvy if needed. I'd just need to use my GI surplus poncho as a ground sheet to avoid damaging the hammock body (which is one of the reasons that I use that instead of a DriDucks one; it's a lot more durable).

Ocala National Forest is just north of you, and it allows hammock camping anywhere within the forest that camping is allowed at all. I definitely recommend it; I did the Ocala South portion of the FL Trail this summer. It was an absolute blast.

If you've got any questions about whether a wilderness area allows hammocking, it's best to contact whomever is in charge of that area and ask. Most times, the person in charge won't have an issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast