WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF from another ALABAMA guy. Dont know if anyone suggested but you probably want to look for a better option for cordage versus the para cord. It stretches like crazy. Amsteel, zingit, and alike are some good choices.

Hope to see you around and happy hanging.
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    ALDan:
    Where are you located in the Heart of Dixie.........never mind, send me a pm with your address and I will put you a pair of whoopie slings in the mail. I have a set that will not be needed for a hammock project and need a new home.

I love this place !!! Great info with a heaping side order of great people! Kind of helps to reinforce that there is good left out there, which is important after watching your nightly newscasts. Seriously a fine offer and one you should accept. I loves whoopies! Goood on ya Bigbamaguy!

Just remember not to use paracord for your load bearing (hammock) lines. It stretches and will break even though you are nowhere near 550 lbs (just search some posts on that one!).

For what it is worth, here is some info on my hanging system.

I have been using cargo straps rated for 2000 lb (as I recall might be 1750 or 2500lb but 2Gs rings true) purchased for around $15.00 at Canadian Tire. My first 500lb ones landed me my on my arse and I am only 200 lbs. I just removed the ratchet straps and made a loop by tying a water knot ( a great knot for use with webbing). I then put the running end around the tree and through the loop formed by the water knot. I then use the marlin spike hitch with my whoopies ( placing the whoopie on the knot, not the toggle. The knot , not the toggle ---> shug is much better , ya really MUST check out his noob vids). Quick and easy set up, regardless of weather, especially if you don't untie the water knot thereby leaving the permanent loop in your strap.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    Yall are so welcoming with info. I've added The Ultimate Hang to my Christmas list! Is the Prussic knot the same as the Taut-Line?
    To make it as easy as possible, here is the link to the Prusik knot.

It's very similar to the tensioner wrap on a tautline hitch, yes, but it's not used to tie a line directly to a post. Instead, it's used to tie a loop to another line to ensure that you can move whatever's on the loop easily without the loop moving under tension.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    for me it depends on the weather. if it is raining then i tarp first.... then hammock.... this gives a dry work area to hang the hammock. if there is no rain then i hammock...then tarp. drip lines are a must in my book. if you don't have them you run the risk of waking up at 3:00 on them morning with a wet hammock and gear. all i use is a small length of para cord attached to my suspension for my hammock and tarp.
    Hops

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    I have some grand ideas for an all-in-one single ridge line with tensioners for the tarp and set points to clip the hammock on after setup of the tarp. That will need a lot of amsteel (and will need 1/8" in case it needs less than 30 degree sag). One day I'll get it figured out, but it sure is fun to experiment!
    Check out bearchashers SLShttp://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32421 I'm using this system now with a small modification and love it for the speed of set up. The mod was to use short alpine butterfly knots with a whoopie between the ABK and the hammock instead of the longer ABK.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey Feller....welcome to the hammock life. I did a video series just for the New Guy so check it out if you want. May give you some intel.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    Hope it helps. There is a learning curve on hammocks...tarps....warm insulation choices.
    Shug
    I watched a few videos last night. You're a wild and crazy guy! Seriously, good stuff and you keep it fun. Thanks for making those videos.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Bearchaser is who I got the idea from. I'm just trying to get it all figured out before I go wasting any amsteel. It's kind of expensive to get it sent down here. That, and I've got to be careful to balance the amount of stuff that comes in the mail for me and my wife.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Welcome to HF!

For a quick, simple, and relatively inexpensive way to hang your hammock and tarp, check out the all-in-one Dutch Buckle system, and the all-in-one whoopiesling.com Dutch trap system. They're both here!

Also, I'm no pro in the video department but here are a few that might give you some ideas for your own approach:

Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Welcome, if your still looking at the hardwear whoopieslings.com sells camp bieners and some decending rings cheaper than you mentioned and AHE has rings cheaper than you mentioned. You may look into putting them on loops and replacing the stock cord on your hh and go with the adjustable strap style webbing.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Like many in Alabama, i have damage to my roof pending repair. As a result I noticed that my attic is almost as cold as it is inside. I originally was searching for some random place to hang my new hammock. Everything in the basement and garage was too close together or not strong enough, then I thought about the attic. Now I can not only play around in my hammock, but test out a little cold weather gear!

Ironically with all the suspension talk we have I ended up just tying it to some rafters with 2 half hitches! I know it wouldn't work everywhere and would damage a tree. But, works well in this situation.

My wife is out of town tonight, so I think I'll test my new gear tonight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast