Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Camo Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Noob insulation question

If I use a thermarest and tie a military poncho liner to the underside of the hammock will that work in cooler temps? Or would I be better off making an improvised underquilt out of a sleeping bag?

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I used my 20 degree sleeping bag, a ground mat, and my poncho liner on top of me and I got down to 45 degrees and I was toasty. I wouldn't think putting the liner on the outside would do all that much but I could be wrong
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pads work well though they might not be as comfortable as a UQ and are bulky. I've done a poncho liner UQ + blue foam pad SPE & reflective sun shade for the bottom and a 15* synthetic bag for the top and been plenty comfy at 32*F. (And actually by morning the PLUQ had shifted so I doubt it was doing much.)

I say give it a shot and see if it works for you.

P.S. what do you define as "cooler temps"? I suspect that may influence people's answers.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Poncho Liner UQ's are comfortable to the upper 40's, without a pad.

Pad alone, and some folks go quite cold. Adding the Poncho liner to a pad setup will help keep your shoulders and hips warmer, but the pad is doing most of the work.

Personally, I've never really liked a pad much...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Poncho Liner UQ's are comfortable to the upper 40's, without a pad.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11777

Pad alone, and some folks go quite cold. Adding the Poncho liner to a pad setup will help keep your shoulders and hips warmer, but the pad is doing most of the work.

Personally, I've never really liked a pad much...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Camo Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The coldest I have slept in was 10 F in a military 3 piece bag with no shelter. I was warm. In a hammock the coldest was 38 or so with just a bag. I was cold but didnt know about the pad or underquilt thing. Im getting a hammock for Christmas and plan to use it soon, just don't want to freeze my first try.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyop View Post
    If I use a thermarest and tie a military poncho liner to the underside of the hammock will that work in cooler temps? Or would I be better off making an improvised underquilt out of a sleeping bag?
    Are you saying a thermarest and a military poncho liner is all you will have for insulation? Are you going to have a sleeping bag?

I've used a 15 degree and a zero degree sleeping bag with just a blue foam pad and a space blanket down to 25 degrees. I was a little chilly in the 15 degree, but toasty in the zero. Of course, getting the pad situated under you, and keeping it there, all while you're trying to get situated in your sleeping bag, is a real challenge.

Some hammocks with integrated bugnet, like the Byer Moskito Hammock and some Grand Trunk models, can be flipped over in winter when you don't need the bugnet. You can then stuff insulation into the bugnet without having to fiddle with bag modification or creating a suspension system. It's great not having the pad in the hammock with you. I figure I could add a 30 degree sleeping bag and easily get down into the teens. I plan to try it if winter ever decides to come to the Northeast. Looks like it might miss us this year.

You can also get double layer hammocks so the pad isn't in your sleeping area as well.

However, carrying two synthetic sleeping bags on the trail wouldn't leave much room in my pack for anything else. And my 0* weighs 3.6 lbs and the 15* bag weighs 2.6 lbs. That's why I broke down and bought a Hammock Gear 20* Burrow TQ and Phoenix UQ during the Black Friday sale.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Camo Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Are you saying a thermarest and a military poncho liner is all you will have for insulation? Are you going to have a sleeping bag?

I've used a 15 degree and a zero degree sleeping bag with just a blue foam pad and a space blanket down to 25 degrees. I was a little chilly in the 15 degree, but toasty in the zero. Of course, getting the pad situated under you, and keeping it there, all while you're trying to get situated in your sleeping bag, is a real challenge.

Some hammocks with integrated bugnet, like the Byer Moskito Hammock and some Grand Trunk models, can be flipped over in winter when you don't need the bugnet. You can then stuff insulation into the bugnet without having to fiddle with bag modification or creating a suspension system. It's great not having the pad in the hammock with you. I figure I could add a 30 degree sleeping bag and easily get down into the teens. I plan to try it if winter ever decides to come to the Northeast. Looks like it might miss us this year.

You can also get double layer hammocks so the pad isn't in your sleeping area as well.

However, carrying two synthetic sleeping bags on the trail wouldn't leave much room in my pack for anything else. And my 0* weighs 3.6 lbs and the 15* bag weighs 2.6 lbs. That's why I broke down and bought a Hammock Gear 20* Burrow TQ and Phoenix UQ during the Black Friday sale.
    I have the 3 piece military bag. I think its rated to 0 or so but not sure. Until I have more experience I wont do cold weather backpacking trips. So in the suburban I have plenty of room for bags or blankets or whatever. Just need to know how to improvise something until I know what to get for sure.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    What type of Thermarest? Full or 3/4? If it's a full length, they work fine slightly deflated - just a bit slippery in a hammock. If 3/4 then either add the PL UQ or a CCF pad- cut a section for your feet and use the remainder crosswise under your torso to provide coverage for your shoulders/ extra torso insulation. A standard Thermarest or 1/2" CCF works for me down to 32 F, the double takes me down to 0 F.

Pads catch a lot of flack on these boards, but they work great. Definitely give it a shot. Not as comfortable as an UQ, but more versatile and a lot cheaper.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Camo Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    What type of Thermarest? Full or 3/4? If it's a full length, they work fine slightly deflated - just a bit slippery in a hammock. If 3/4 then either add the PL UQ or a CCF pad- cut a section for your feet and use the remainder crosswise under your torso to provide coverage for your shoulders/ extra torso insulation. A standard Thermarest or 1/2" CCF works for me down to 32 F, the double takes me down to 0 F.

Pads catch a lot of flack on these boards, but they work great. Definitely give it a shot. Not as comfortable as an UQ, but more versatile and a lot cheaper.
    Cool the thermarest is 3/4 I do have a Mountain Hardwear full length pad that is foam. Guess I will have to find a few days to try it out before it gets super cold, maybe the backyard so I can chicken out if needed. I like the cheap part because since I have it all ready thats like free. Thanks for all the advice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast