WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    I found a product, shiver shield, online and my first thought was how it could be applied as an under quilt. This is a special type of gel that does a more effective job of retaining body heat and stoping cooler temps from getting through than any other natural or man made material. On their website they only have it for sale as clothing items but maybe instead of needing any other sort of insulation a person could just wear the same clothes they had on. Now that would be weight savings! Downside side is this product is really expensive.

http://www.shivershield.com/index.php

The next link is to a company that makes this jell. The link is for the applications for the product.

http://zeroloft.com/index.php?option...id=15&Itemid=4
    This is straight off of the website above;

"Other insulation materials require loft to achieve their insulation value. Pressure causes these materials to compress dramatically and lose their loft along with their insulating capacity. Aerogel does not need loft to deliver its high insulation value and it barely compresses, even in a foot bed under adult weight. At 15 psi pressure, it retains over 85% of its original thickness and over 97% of its original thermal performance. No other insulation can match this performance. Aerogel is a high performance insulation used in place of lofted insulation."

I take that to mean that it's not compressible in the least. I think there could be a real advantage to wearing it and sleeping in it provided it isn't super heavy.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    Im still gellin for down, but veggie as well would love an alternative.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    This is straight off of the website above;

"Other insulation materials require loft to achieve their insulation value. Pressure causes these materials to compress dramatically and lose their loft along with their insulating capacity. Aerogel does not need loft to deliver its high insulation value and it barely compresses, even in a foot bed under adult weight. At 15 psi pressure, it retains over 85% of its original thickness and over 97% of its original thermal performance. No other insulation can match this performance. Aerogel is a high performance insulation used in place of lofted insulation."

I take that to mean that it's not compressible in the least. I think there could be a real advantage to wearing it and sleeping in it provided it isn't super heavy.
    It appears that they carry three different lines: Sport/Work/Hunting. The Sport/Work lines both have a 10 oz duck for the outer shell. Oddly enough, the Hunting line has a lighter tricot outer shell (to be more quiet).
    The look to be fairly fitted, so I would imagine that the weight would be comparable to a denim jacket. Down might weigh less than the overall garment, but to get by without looking like the Michelin man in camp and also not have to worry as much about a stray spark from the campfire burning a hole in your SUL fabric....

It appears to have the insulating ability of a parka without the bulk. I was considering a Feathered Friends parka this winter, but I may have to give this a look as $299 is still cheaper than the FF parka.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    It appears that they carry three different lines: Sport/Work/Hunting. The Sport/Work lines both have a 10 oz duck for the outer shell. Oddly enough, the Hunting line has a lighter tricot outer shell (to be more quiet).
    The look to be fairly fitted, so I would imagine that the weight would be comparable to a denim jacket. Down might weigh less than the overall garment, but to get by without looking like the Michelin man in camp and also not have to worry as much about a stray spark from the campfire burning a hole in your SUL fabric....

It appears to have the insulating ability of a parka without the bulk. I was considering a Feathered Friends parka this winter, but I may have to give this a look as $299 is still cheaper than the FF parka.
    Have you seen any weights? I haven't. I wonder if it's stiff or flexible?

Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Have you seen any weights? I haven't. I wonder if it's stiff or flexible?
    I guess you didn't notice the photo of the rolled material? Seems flexible, not heavy and you don't need much thickness unless you're trying to insulate against liquid nitrogen. A bedroll of a fraction of an inch may not compress at all but then neither does a wool blanket. You'd just roll it up and slide it down the pack with everything else. The only issue I see is that it doesn't provide any relief for bumps like an inflatable mat would provide but then in a hammock, that's not the problem. I'd certainly be interested in giving a 1/8 inch layer a once over to see how it would protect against -20 C temperatures
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    So who is contacting the company? I'm thinking 72inch x 27 inch x 0.125 inch....then cut it to fit between the layers of double bottom Travler...we can trim it right?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    If we can get some numbers on the weight, I think it would make a great multi-use pad or fitted under quilt. I'd also love to get some as shoe inserts, sit pads, stove/snow insulators, and food cozies. It's too bad it's so expensive.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    So who is contacting the company? I'm thinking 72inch x 27 inch x 0.125 inch....then cut it to fit between the layers of double bottom Travler...we can trim it right?
    I'm not getting why you'd want to spend $700 on a pad that would leave you still needing a TQ, when you could just buy the jacket which covers all around you?

As far as cutting, it depends on the product. If you do cut it, it will need to be put inside some form of fabric to keep it from dusting silica all over.

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    a 2'x3' piece in ever hammack campers pack...i'd be the death of cold butt syndrome! Um, how do they harvest down anyway?

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    If we can get some numbers on the weight......
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/39789636/Spaceloft-Insulation

Per the data sheet, .15gm per cc (I'm assuming that's the 9mm thick stuff). If my math is in the ballpark thats 1254 g (42.4 oz) per square yd. Halve that for the 5mm version and ends up around 21oz sq yd.

Thickness to thickness, with an R value of 10 per inch, a 9mm or .35" spaceloft pad would have a R value of ~3.5. In comparison, a 3/8" or 9.5mm thinlight has an R value of ~ 1.42 . For an R value comparison, a RidgeRest Solar (.75 in) has an R value of ~3.5 .

CCF R values taken from http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear...sleeping-pads/

Of course R values are subjective, draw your own conclusions.

HTH
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast