GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

Winter Excessive Sweating Shamwow Clothing?

So this year I am venturing into winter backpacking. I sweat a lot and doesn't matter how much I vent my hiking base is going to get wet. When I ski I layer and vent and still sweat a bunch. So I was wondering if anyone has made mittens or other winter clothing from shamwows? If your going to sweat you might as well have something that really absorbs water and can dry quickly.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I can just see the infomercial for Shamwow underwear...

I'd think that you'd want to change your wicking layer once you get to camp and dry off...

I didn't start sweating much until I broke the 200lb barrier...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    you don't want something that absorbs moisture. Cotton absorbs moisture. You want something that allows moisture yo pass thru.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    But when you are sweating a lot it doesn't matter what material it is it is going to get wet. When I ski my gloves get wet with sweat and my hands get cold. Then the gloves take forever to dry. If this happens when I am in and out of a lodge I can't imagine how bad it will be backpacking. I was thinking about mittens that when they get wet you could take them off, ring them out and be good to go. I am thinking for strictly hiking only.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

- Mancat

i wear 4 layers. silk long sleeve shirt, wicking T, micro fleece, then packa (u b surprised how much heat the packa holds in) this is for leaving camp at 0-10 degrees. what i learned is take off a layer not when you get warm, but before. once you sweat you will spend rest of day cold. i like to stay chilly. it makes me hike faster

my hands i use 3 layer gloves. silk, fleece mitten, waterproof outer mitten. (also carry mist mittens)
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    What is a mist mitten?
    - Mark Twain

- Mancat

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    But when you are sweating a lot it doesn't matter what material it is it is going to get wet. When I ski my gloves get wet with sweat and my hands get cold. Then the gloves take forever to dry. If this happens when I am in and out of a lodge I can't imagine how bad it will be backpacking. I was thinking about mittens that when they get wet you could take them off, ring them out and be good to go. I am thinking for strictly hiking only.
    First, it sounds like you are wearing too much clothing when exercising. If you shed layers sooner you will sweat less. You probably will be surprised how little clothing you need when moving. The issue then becomes getting a warm layer on after you stop. There is a lag time while you cool down so it's not a panic situation.

Second is the issue of how a layer transports moisture. Hydrophylic materials like cotton hold moisture so it has to be evaporated out of the material. Water has one of the highest latent heat of vaporization numbers of common materials. Translate that to you lose a lot of calories evaporating the water out of the cotton. Hydrophobic materials do not absorb water so the sweat passes though without needing to evaporate thus you lose much less heat getting rid of the sweat.

Bottom line is wear less clothing and you will sweat less as you will need to cool yourself less through sweat. Wear the right clothing and it will dry faster because it will not require evaporating the water with body heat. Have insulating layer(s) handy for when you stop.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i'm a sweater as well... it can be 15F out and in a tee shirt and i can break a sweat
    in the colder months i hike in just a base layer and a shirt ... maybe a fleece vest if it's windy ...
    but JS has the right idea dry camp cloths helps a ton ... myself i don't carry a lot of extra cloths so i like to take my bandana and wipe off or use a baby wipe once i stopped and waited a good 10-15 min .... i like to make a fire in the winter so that helps as well but it's not always an option so getting set up fast and getting under my quilts is what i would do in the cold ... lay there for a good 20 min or so till my body heat dries me out to the point that i'm not wet
    and than put on my rain gear to cut the wind and add layers as i dry out and get chilled ....
    but next year once i'm back on the trail i might carry UL base layer with me during the winter ... dunno yet we will see
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    I never wear cotton and usually wear very little. If you are able to regulate your temp with layers I am envious. I have tried it and can't do it. Well I bought some shamwow towels so I am going to give a try. I will report back.
    - Mark Twain

- Mancat

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    update: so I tried them out and they retained too much water to be warm. Now I bought the cheap dollar store shamwows so I don't know if the real ones would work better. My hope is to get a liner that will be mostly dry after I ring it out after it has gotten soaked with sweat. Then be able to put it back on and stay warm of course.
    - Mark Twain

- Mancat