Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    I was picturing all three sides sewn and just a triangle doubler....... Still not positive on this but is the triangle acting as a pull and causing a sag in the top edge of the hammock and thus a shelf of sorts?

Or....... Is the long side of the triangle dangling in the breeze and the feet go up under the triangle as a sock??

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjanzen View Post
    Or....... Is the long side of the triangle dangling in the breeze and the feet go up under the triangle as a sock??
    Yes. You more or less have it.

The two short sides combined are longer than the long side. Therefore when you sew those two sides to the hem of the hammock, the long edge of the triangle becomes the edge of the hammock. So, you've taken a section of the hammock edge and made it shorter.

Imagine walking up to a hammock that someone is laying in and grabbing the hem on each side of where their feet are. Now pull your hands toward one another. You will create a sag where their feet are.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I just found this video that has a little different twist that was talked about here with UK hammocks

2013 Ghost Hammock Update: http://youtu.be/FLIuC-kEnpE

Thanks Mad...... I will kick it around a bit. I think I have what you are saying.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bjanzen View Post
    The 'long side' of the sewn in triangle effectively becomes the hammock edge. You are effectively creating a little pocket/bulge for your feet to extend into that isn't extending the length of your hammock any further.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl layer - Thanks gmcttr!
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    M50 Primaloft TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm getting ready to make the ghost using the 2013 string mod. This will be my first DIY hammock. I hoping to get clarification on a few things:

1) Is the hammock end whipped? Or are you passing the UCR through the channel? Or are you using a continuous loop in the channel that the UCR attaches to?
    2) Your instructions call for the ends to be "2 inches folded over and triple stitched." How far apart are the stiches? Are you actually rolling over the fabric any? If so, are you rolling just the amount for the stitches, or are you rolling enough to have a double layer of fabric through the whole channel?
    3) Have your dimensions remained the same from the original version, or has there been modifications over the years?
    Last edited by mrstop; 09-25-2014 at 11:38.

This thread has been quiet for a while but I have studied it for a few months. I will jump in and help but anyone feel free to correct me if I get something wrong.

Yes the ends are whipped..... The key to a good hammock feel is often in the way the material is folded before the whip. The instructions for the fold is actually telling you to fold the ends over to add extra material to keep the fabric from pulling through the whipped ends. I recently made the DIY HH. I took the ends and folded over twice to make a rolled hem and sewed down it twice. After I folded the ends I whipped it with some extra Dynaglide cord really tight and close to the ends. It worked out well and the Ridge line added extra measure of confidence. The Ridge goes through the center of the whip and hooks on the outside. Here is a picture that may help

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Ghost Hammock - DIY ultralight hammock

Quote Originally Posted by mrstop View Post
    I'm getting ready to make the ghost using the 2013 string mod. This will be my first DIY hammock. I hoping to get clarification on a few things:

1) Is the hammock end whipped? Or are you passing the UCR through the channel? Or are you using a continuous loop in the channel that the UCR attaches to?
    2) Your instructions call for the ends to be "2 inches folded over and triple stitched." How far apart are the stiches? Are you actually rolling over the fabric any? If so, are you rolling just the amount for the stitches, or are you rolling enough to have a double layer of fabric through the whole channel?
    3) Have your dimensions remained the same from the original version, or has there been modifications over the years?
    1. I believe SGT Rock used dogbones from dynaglide. You can see the dimensions of the dogbone to the left of the drawing of the ridgeline. The UCR is attached via a larks head to the dogbone. The hammock isn't whipped. The dogbone passes through the channel.

2. I asked SGT Rock to explain his channel design. He just folded over the material 2" and sews 3 lines of stitching (i.e., no hem). He used the first 1" for his stitching and left a 1" channel for the dogbone.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    Last edited by Dave-O; 09-26-2014 at 15:53.

I stand corrected......... I was all wrong on his end method. Good news is you can gather, food, whip..... All on the same hammock and find what you like best.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast