Tarp
    Camo Diamond
    Insulation
    TB
    Suspension
    Stock

Claytor specification?

Hello All
    First post, but I have been lurking and searching for a bit. I am looking for a hammock for bicycle touring, and stealth camping--as I will be in remote areas, camping on crown land (no private property violation).

I am 58, have done a lot of camping, mostly back woods, canoe camping, as well as hiking, and motorcycle camping, though always in tents. I am a runt, about 5'8.5", but am in pretty good shape, even for a geezer as I am also a jogger and bicyclist, so I weigh in about 180lbs.

I tend to sleep very cold, and am cold most of the time, so I tent with a Thinsulate ground pad, and a good quality down bag even in early summer.

Okay, so I am torn, between the Hennessy, either the Expedition ($149.00) or the Ultra-light backpacker ($199.00), and the Claytor Jungle Hammock.

Now what appeals to me most about the Claytor is that the tarp size is big, it is in cammo --good for camping in the bush--, but most important is that it has a double bottom layer, which would allow me to put a pad in, which given everything I've read about hammocks, makes me think it will be necessary. But what concerns me is that some say it is more restricted, and also, here is the big question, that it has mosquito netting, rather than no see um netting. I also like the shape of the netting with the stick, and though I am still in the dark as to the alchemy of set up systems, as a former Scout leader, I figure I can work out different knots, and set-ups. Yet, my worry about the Claytor is weight and packed size. I have checked the web to try to locate a photo of the packed Claytor Jungle Hammock, but can't find one. Also its weight looks to be a bit over 3lbs.

So, what appeals to me about the Hennessy, is that it is advertised as having no-see-um netting. The bottom entry seems pretty efficient, the a-sym design makes sense to me, and there is a Canadian distributor, which given I live in Canada is a big plus. What is also a big temptation, is the year end sale, as they provide free snake skins, and in Canada at least, because they are out of CUBS, they will substitute the Scout, a $99.00 value... I saw a packed Hennessy Expedition and Ultra-light backpacker in MEC today, and they both looked pretty small. Finally, what seems superior about the Hennessy is that the suspension system is easy to put up, and easy to mod. Yet what puts me off the Hennessy, is I wonder how awkward a pad would be with the bottom entry?

The final question is about the fabric making up the hammock? It is hard to tell from the Claytor site whether the 244 Ripstock Nylon refers to the bag or to the tent. I am assuming it is to the bag. Is there a preference for one over the other?

Okay so lots of questions. I am posting here, in the Claytor section, as I am leaning toward the Claytor.

To conclude this is a great site, and I look forward to getting into the sport in the months to come.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome Icecycle

Just for a point of reference, Hennessy also offers a side entry zip model for almost all of their hammock lines. I think you will find that a large number of Hennessy hammock owners that are on this site have had a zipper mod done to their hammock.

There are several hammock hangers in the Ottawa area that you could possible meet up with. We are getting into winter hanging season and if you're not prepared for that, it may be spring before you can get to a group hang and check out a bunch of setups.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond
    Insulation
    TB
    Suspension
    Stock
    Thanks for the welcome Brian. A winter hang sounds like fun. I haven't winter camped for a few years. Where do folk tend to camp? Algonquin?

Gerald

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Welcome Icecycle

Just for a point of reference, Hennessy also offers a side entry zip model for almost all of their hammock lines. I think you will find that a large number of Hennessy hammock owners that are on this site have had a zipper mod done to their hammock.

There are several hammock hangers in the Ottawa area that you could possible meet up with. We are getting into winter hanging season and if you're not prepared for that, it may be spring before you can get to a group hang and check out a bunch of setups.

Cheers

Brian
    +1 on that. And Welcome, Icecycle!
    But even with the zip mod, you might not like a pad inside that single layer hammock. If planning to use a pad from the get go, rather than an HH Supershelter(HHSS), get the Claytor, IMO. Or better yet, for pad use, a JRB Bridge, though much more expensive. Or a Chrysalis, up there in Canada I believe.

But bottom line, there are very few people happy with a pad inside a single layer gathered end hammock, unless they have a product called a SPE, which you will have to buy used or make one.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ented+Extender
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-10-2011 at 09:45.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    everybody here that knows me knows that i swear by my claytor jungle hammockneo
    the matrix has you

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Packed size also concerns this cyclist. Nylon goods-- rain fly's and hammocks -- compress to much smaller bundles than fabricators' stock stuff sacks. Size will be proportional to weight. Most everyone here would agree that stock ropes and straps can be replaced by 500kg+ rated 3mm Dyneema cordage to save bulk and weight on this and several other hammocks.

Bushcraftcanada.com will ship a $99 DD Hammock to you with free shipping. Just add tarp (and switch out suspension.)

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond
    Insulation
    TB
    Suspension
    Stock
    Thanks for the suggestion DemostiX, though when I checked the DD site, and added the numbers up, 930 g for the hammock, 230 g for the netting, and then 650 g for the 3x3 tarp, = 3.99 pounds, which isn't a weight reduction as the Jungle comes in at 3.3 for the hammock and fly.

The advantage I can see to the DD is that is wider, though it is also shorter than the Claytor, so this seems a toss up.

On one Youtube review, the reviewer complained about the poor job of stitching on the DD, whereas all the reviews of the Claytor seem pretty positive. I did read that DD has improved its quality control. Is this recent experience?

Finally, the issue of cost, is that the DD ends up being more expensive, once the tarp is added in to the Hammock cost. However, shipping with DD, from Bushcraft is free (value about $20.00), while Claytor will charge $20.00 for shipping.

Questions/questions?

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond
    Insulation
    TB
    Suspension
    Stock

Smile Claytor Owner

Hi
    Tonight I bit the bullet and sprung for the Claytor Jungle Hammock. Why:

$150.00 plus $20.00 for postage for a hammock and fly is a good price.
    The Claytor JH has a double bottom. This is a major consideration for me, given I sleep cold, and live in Canada
    The camo --this is important for 'stealth' camping off the road on crown land. Though not really necessary if I move far enough back in the woods, the camo should ensure I blend in on those nights when I can't bicycle to the next settlement.
    The camo tarp is 3x4 meters. I didn't read any reports of complaint that it was too small. That is not the case for some of the other hammocks.
    The build quality of the Claytors is reported to be high, no loose threads, or bad stitching --we will see.
    The overall size of the Claytor JH seems pretty roomy. It is more than long enough for me.
    The weight of the Claytor with the tarp is just at 3lbs.
    So there it is...

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Congrats from a fellow Claytor owner. I changed out my suspension to whoopies and that ruduced the weight some.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I too am a Claytor JH owner, have slept in it for four years now, more nights than not. I have a WBBB and have tried others, but come back to my JH. In fact, I am gonna do a DIY version this winter. I swapped out the suspension with whoopies and straps, check out Dehoja's thread on using a small plastic pipe for this process. Works well. I use mine primarily in northern Michigan and the bugs are big time especially May through July. This hammock has served as a nice respite for me.

I am a huge fan of the diamond tarp. There has only been one time, cold, fall weather with mist and 50 mph winds when I wished for more coverage, even then my down stayed dry. I am a big fan of the ease of this hammock, and tarp combined with its comfort, it is my home away from home. Have fun with it.

I will say that when I got mine, I noticed some fraying where the material connected to the zipper, so I ran another stitch the length of the hammock. That really seemed to strengthen it. I have also had to do some repairs on the tabs for the spreaders bars on the screen. No big deal, just vulnerable points.

Those are things I will address when I make my own.
    Last edited by canoebie; 12-12-2011 at 12:20.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast