Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 103
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    140
    Images
    56
    Hi Jayson,

    I'll let the others with more experience answer you as I'm not sure. I have a HH Exp. that I use in the summer, but I'm going to try a Eureka Chrysalis for the winter hang. I'm intending to use an Exped 7 mat and a sleeping bag.

    I have a question for the others who have been to Valens before. Is the store open to buy firewood or will we need to bring our own? I wasn't able to call to find out. Also, the website says no fires other than at designated fire pits. I wanted to try a new wood stove I got for my canvas tent. Has anyone brought a wood stove before to Valens? Thanks.

    Mongrel

  2. #32
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,414
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    ...

    I have a question for the others who have been to Valens before. Is the store open to buy firewood or will we need to bring our own? I wasn't able to call to find out. Also, the website says no fires other than at designated fire pits. I wanted to try a new wood stove I got for my canvas tent. Has anyone brought a wood stove before to Valens? Thanks.

    Mongrel
    In the past people have bought wood locally before going into the conservation area. IIRC [o]TTer mentioned a TSC store nearby. I'll probably bring a bag.

    We have played with wood stoves before (evident by a large circular indentation on one of the picnic tables eh Brian). I have used my bushbuddy there and Brian has use his DIY woodstove in his canvas condo as well so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  3. #33
    Senior Member dant8ro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Posts
    532
    Images
    1
    Hey Bubba,

    Good to see you found your 123R.

    It'll be good to see some sub zeros to test out the reactor underquilt. I have just acquired a SB 1.9 DL, but think for the sake of warmth i'm going to stick with a heat trough (i.e. lazy ryvr bridge).

    Ryvr is in mad scientist mode for the next few weeks, so we may get to see some new prototypes. I'm pretty interested in what comes out of the new fusion.

    P.s. Shh! no incriminating evidence on the internet forums! What chared hexagon???

  4. #34
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,414
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    Hey Bubba,

    Good to see you found your 123R.

    It'll be good to see some sub zeros to test out the reactor underquilt. I have just acquired a SB 1.9 DL, but think for the sake of warmth i'm going to stick with a heat trough (i.e. lazy ryvr bridge).

    Ryvr is in mad scientist mode for the next few weeks, so we may get to see some new prototypes. I'm pretty interested in what comes out of the new fusion.

    P.s. Shh! no incriminating evidence on the internet forums! What chared hexagon???
    Hey Dan,

    I have to clarify for a fellow gear *****. I first bought a 123R (new version made off shore). I then acquired a 40 year old 123 (made in Sweden). After some research I then wanted to acquire a 123R that was made in Sweden. Still no luck

    I think the evidence has been lost.

    Looking forward to checking out the new insulation. I'll be using my SBLH and would like to see the regular SB. I've already seen the heat trough.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  5. #35
    Senior Member BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    2,007
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    Hi Jayson,

    I have a question for the others who have been to Valens before. Is the store open to buy firewood or will we need to bring our own? I wasn't able to call to find out. Also, the website says no fires other than at designated fire pits. I wanted to try a new wood stove I got for my canvas tent. Has anyone brought a wood stove before to Valens? Thanks.

    Mongrel

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    We have played with wood stoves before (evident by a large circular indentation on one of the picnic tables eh Brian). I have used my bushbuddy there and Brian has use his DIY woodstove in his canvas condo as well so it shouldn't be a problem.
    I know not what you speak of, Bubba, The picnic table with the perfectly burnt in hexagon from a Vargo Titanium Hex wood stove is nowhere to be seen.

    As for firewood, it is available for sale by the bag at the main gate. Mongrel, Bubba is right, I have brought a DIY woodstove (based off a large canning pot) to use in my Canvas Wedge Tent. If you want to see it, look for the Trip Report from the Ontario Second Chance Hang (3rd of October 2011). So it would appear that I'm not the only one with a canvas hot tent for winter camping.

    Looking forward to seeing your setup, Mongrel.

    Cheers

    Brian

  6. #36
    Senior Member dant8ro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Posts
    532
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hey Dan,

    I have to clarify for a fellow gear *****. I first bought a 123R (new version made off shore). I then acquired a 40 year old 123 (made in Sweden). After some research I then wanted to acquire a 123R that was made in Sweden. Still no luck

    I think the evidence has been lost.

    Looking forward to checking out the new insulation. I'll be using my SBLH and would like to see the regular SB. I've already seen the heat trough.
    Alas! The search continues. I'll be sure to bring out the other SB for you to have a gander at. (Did I mention it has the 2QZQ RW Mod?, for the gear *****s in the audience. lol.)

    Hey, if I didn't buy gear I'd likely smoke, drink, or gamble. Man needs a vice, right brother?

    Dan.

  7. #37
    Jayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    1,196
    Wow thanks for the reply. We included the Hennessy Double Bubble Radiant Pad as part of our order so we have that. Was thinking that wrapped in a fleece blanket under us with a 7 cheappy mummy bag inside a cheappy 5 rectangular bag.
    Would bring a couple blankets in the car as backup as well.

    If we come...which looks good we will bring some fire wood. I cut and sell heating wood as "Hobby" so we have lots.

    Will know for sure by first of next week.

  8. #38
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,414
    Images
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Wow thanks for the reply. We included the Hennessy Double Bubble Radiant Pad as part of our order so we have that. Was thinking that wrapped in a fleece blanket under us with a 7 cheappy mummy bag inside a cheappy 5 rectangular bag.
    Would bring a couple blankets in the car as backup as well.

    If we come...which looks good we will bring some fire wood. I cut and sell heating wood as "Hobby" so we have lots.

    Will know for sure by first of next week.
    Looking forward to having you out!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  9. #39
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    1,279
    Images
    65
    Hey Jayson,

    If you can make it out, Valen's is a great place to test your winter gear for a couple of reasons...

    1. There are heated washrooms a stone throw away where you can warm up
    2. Your car is onsite and can be loaded with extra blankets, clothes, etc...
    3. Odds are that home is only a short to moderate drive away in the event of a full-scale bail
    4. BrianWillan has a beautiful heated tent to retreat to
    5. There'll be quite a few experienced cold weather hangers who will be happy to make sure you're tucked in for the night (in a gear check way, mind you)
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Fall 2014 Algonqin: The Year's Last, Loveliest Smile,
    My BushcraftToday Blog

  10. #40
    Senior Member jefftrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    97

    at the moment i don't see anything preventing me from attending

    it would be nice to test out my new Leighlo 20 deg FLUQ and test it out on the Hennessy and my Eureka hammock. and i may also have my BCB to play around with too.

    I may need some help rigging up my Leiglo quilt to hennessy and my Eureka hammocks.

    I will know for sure if i am coming closer to the date. I hope to be there.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 23:46
  2. Replies: 150
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 07:52
  3. Eastern Great Lakes Hang - Winter 2012: Feb 18-20 - Snowshoes across Algonquin
    By Chard in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 16:42
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 16:51
  5. Eastern Great Lakes Hang - Winter 2011 - Call to Action!!!!!"
    By Chard in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 11:25

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •