Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY double layer asym
    Suspension
    Whoopies, shackles

Wink DIY Fever (Darn you Hammock Forums! updated 13.12)

tl;dr (cliffnotes at the bottom)
    This is my first post and here is some background of me. I have never been that much into backpacking. I have done some trips as a little boy (mainly cycling trips) and last July I finished my obligatory service in Finnish Defence Forces. This fall I have been reading hammock forums, watching youtube videos about gear making and other stuff. In the last few days I made my first diy hammock with whoopies, tree straps(and it is actually the first hammock I have ever owned in my life) and a little bishop-style bag for it. For the hammock, whoopies and tree straps diygearsupply.com has been very helpful. Unfortunately because I live in EU I couldn't order my materials from there.

For the "bishop" bag ChickenWingHammock's stuff sack tutorial was really helpful. It provided an easy to use spreadsheet to calculate how much material I needed for the bag. The bag isn't actually a bishop bag, just a stuff sack with two open ends and a loop inside the bag to tie it to the hammock. I ordered my materials from extremtextil.de, which is a really nice shop. It took 6 days to get the materials and they were packed tightly in a small box, all of the little items put in minigrip plastic bags and fabrics folded neatly. I have some complaints but they are minor.

I ordered 3 spools of thread but I only got 2 (but I am sure they will refund or send it to me next week when I contact them), the yellow fabric's cut edge was quite rough and I had to straighten it out before starting (haven't ordered fabrics before so I don't know if this is normal or not) and the shipping fee was huge 16 euros (21.5usd) but that just means I have to order more stuff at a time For the hammock is used 44g/m^2 (about 1.3oz/yd) ripstop nylon and for the bishop bag 50g/m^2 (about 1.5/yd) silnylon. The hammock stuffed to the bag, with whoopies, straps and biners weighs about 360grams or 12.7oz. Which I think is a good starting weight because the biners I ordered are heavy, they weigh around 1oz each.

Next I'll be making a diy double-layer asym hammock and a bishop bag for it (I'll probably try to make the same bag as earlier, but with only one adjustable end). And after those a tarp, cuben backpack, uq, tq, ... also the ghost hammock looks very intruiging

Cliffnotes: I makes a hammock, suspension and a stuff sack. I falls in loves with dat. I going to makes an asym hammock with another bag! I also going to makes alots of stuffs! I wuw sewing, although working with silnylon is a pain in mi arse.

PS. **** you people! and here is some pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by virkkte; 12-13-2011 at 15:17.

• + New Posts