BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    since I have made a 45° quilt with sewn thru baffles, I decided it makes no sense to have a quilt rated at 35° that has potential for colder weather. So i took this blue quilt and added ~3 more ounces of down (which is pro'lly too much - 2 oz. would have done the job)
    It now weighs 15.6 oz and has 3" loft. Should be good to 25° or so. Less, of course with added clothing.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    awesome project! i think i have just decided to go down instead of synthetic...i am a little unclear as to the placement of the drawstring and omni-tape. i assume that the omini-tape is applied just on the bottom part for the foot box, but what is the point and the placement of the drawstring? i get the tie downs idea to keep the foot box together, but what about the drawstring? and with your added loft (3") does the 1.5" baffle suffice?

Thanks for posting this!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    honestly, if I were to do it again, id ditch the velcro and use snaps or buttons. just a couple in key areas would hold the bottom end closed. I think an ultralight (#2?) zipper would even be a better choice than velcro. Id also add a quality snap or button to the top so you could potentally wear the quilt as a cape in chilly mornings.

the foot end drawstring allows you to cinch up the footbox so it (almost) completely envelopes your feet.* There of course will be a small hole left so I usually stick a sock into the hole and then cinch down over the sock. There is also a drawstring at the head end to cinch down slightly around my neck area.
    Overstuffing is only going to improve the bag's warmth... as lately I was reading the benefits of down density. Even tho my baffles were "full" the added down reduced warm air's ability to escape. There is of course a point of diminishing returns so I felt 3 extra oz would more than suffice without carrying dead weight.
    also, on a 1.5" baffle the overstuff is only 3/4 per side. That seems about right, to me.

*please note that this will reduce the quilt's overall length by about a foot-depending on your shoe size
    Last edited by te-wa; 10-19-2008 at 11:22.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    doesn't the use of a snaps/zipper/velcro negate the use of a drawstring to cinch up the footbox?

i am 6'2" with a size 13 shoe, so i will need to tweak the dimensions a bit...prolly use some $2 yard wally world fleece to play around a bit and have a summer bag too!

when i do get around to constructing the quilt, i will most likely overstuff, that should make a very usable 3-season quilt, good for anything except the hottest and coldest trips...

thanks for the info!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    well, in my case I chose to make the footbox close up around my feet completely. The pic shows how it will envelope you feet and lower legs, and you can almost see the hole left (where the sock will go)
    what I was talking about doing is placing a few snaps at the footbox area to avoid itchy, sock grabbing velcro.

yeah, with a size 13 you'd need a bigger quilt... I also made the 45° at something like 50x40x78. It has a sewn thru baffle with 6 oz down and weighs 12.3 oz. I actually used it this summer at 9200' and with just nylon pants, and a poly t-shirt slept down to 40. Feet were slightly chilly come early morning but I could have saved them with a beanie, which I did not wear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by te-wa; 10-19-2008 at 20:45. Reason: unexplainable neurosis

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    I got it! thanks!

Mike, Good job on the quilt and instructions! What size stuff sack do you need for your quilt?

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Mike, Good job on the quilt and instructions! What size stuff sack do you need for your quilt?
    i never used a stuff sack for it but i think it would fit in the OR #1 stuff sacks or similar. 6x12

I don't either, I normally just put the quilt in the bottom of the pack in a plastic liner and put everything else on top. I just wanted to get an idea of the packed size.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie

about the baffles

thanks mike you made this look doable!

Can you provide some pros and cons re sew thru baffles?

They look easier to me. Rough plan is to use sew through baffles, about 7" and stuff them pretty good, hoping to get to 30F. Also plan to sew up the foot box and attach 3 plastic loops up each side to snug things up as an option.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast