DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling

Burrow as underquilt?

Has anybody ever used a burrow as an underquilt? I understand the reasoning and benefit of a dedicated differential-cut uq, but I like the versatility of a quilt that can do both, if needed.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have an UQ, well 2 now, a full length and a 3/4. I also have a Burrow. So I wouldn't need to use it as an UQ. The burrow does not have the suspension on it to use as an UQ, and if you have a sewn footbox, you would not be able to use it as an UQ anyway.

I don't see any reason that you would need to use your Burrow as an UQ. If you need an UQ and don't have one, then use a pad.

Can you explain as to why you would need to do this?
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I already have a good Wilderness Logics 20 deg topquilt which I use with a neoair pad in my BMBH or on the ground. I'd like to get another top quilt for my wife to use on the ground in the summer. However, she's adamant about not camping in any colder temperatures, so I'd like to be able to use that same quilt as an underquilt to extend the range of my neoair.

The JRB rectangular quilts are tempting because they are designed to work with the BMBH as an underquilt, and I will probably go with one of those, but I was wondering if the burrow would work too because they are a great value. A burrow would probably work, I'd just need to get some grossgrain loops put on the corners to be able to suspend it... I was just wondering if anyone had done it before.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i would look at a JRB quilt... or try to find one of the stealths they use to sell
    but they have many options that would fill the bill for your needs
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Burrow as a under-quilt--- No...

Under-quilt as a burro-- ohhh yes

You can use a incubator as a tq np.. Just snug up one end and now you have a footbox..In a way-- a incubator would make a great---nice BIG tq... Then-- when she is home watching dacing with the stars-- you can be out and use it for what its meant for-- a UQ(with all the rigging already in place)... Everyone is happy.. When you order up the incubator-- order the inside fabric as 7d.. It works well for the inside of the UQ and when used as a burrow-- will be very soft agasint her skin..

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I've considered it, but it would require some modification. The addition of some grosgrain loops on the corners and a JRB style suspension should work nicely.

If you sewed a couple snaps to something to tie shock cord to, you could possibly rig something up... would be harder to adjust the suspension but doable I think.. I've given this thought.

In the summer time I was trying to get the girly into hammock camping and wanted to work out a way to both use underquilts and use our fleece sleeping bags on top.. pads work but they sure aren't comfortable after you've used an underquilt, at least not your blue CCF ones.

One big conern though is the tension required to reduce drafts vs. the amount of tension that corner snap could take without damage. I'd be real careful as far as that's concerned.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You could do it but you'd have to suspend it eight ways from Sunday to get it to fit well enough to eliminate all the gaps and cold spots. Proper fit and form are essential to reaching the designed comfort rating of an UQ.

David

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I actually requested Adam (Hammock Gear) make a Burrow as you described so that I could have a "Dual use" TQ. Contact him to go over the particulars but basically went with a footbox that is closed with velcro and grosgrain? loops. Use micro-biners to give better support for footbox closure and a place to store them for use as an UQ. Shock cord is channeled through the sides w/ minicord locks for adjustment. That is the Huge advantage of working with HG, custom changes are second nature to them.
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    I actually requested Adam (Hammock Gear) make a Burrow as you described so that I could have a "Dual use" TQ. Contact him to go over the particulars but basically went with a footbox that is closed with velcro and grosgrain? loops. Use micro-biners to give better support for footbox closure and a place to store them for use as an UQ. Shock cord is channeled through the sides w/ minicord locks for adjustment. That is the Huge advantage of working with HG, custom changes are second nature to them.
    And how did it work out? Are you happy with the results in the field?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast