Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    I have been down in the single digits in my nx250 with a DIY synthetic converted sleeping bag. I made a top and bottom quilt. The keys as I see it are to dart the sides of the UQ to form a bathtub shape and both elastic on the ends with channels sewn all around for shock cord. With the TQ I put in a foot box and wings (think of segmented pad extenders) so no matter how I lie or spin around I am covered and warm. I wear fleece pants, hoodie and a light knit poly cap. I also have magic socks that are very warm but when i fall fast asleep they go on wonderful adventures and end up in the strangest places, but never on my feet.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyhiker View Post
    Howdy All,
    [snip]

As the rain started to increase I packed it in. I plan to redo the test as it gets colder to see how much the temperature delta drops off as a function of outside temperature.

Of course, I do all this in the name of science and for for the betterment of mankind and the hammocking community...not for fun...nope...there's no fun in goofing around with this stuff...none whatsoever...
    In the interest of product improvement, maybe several CJH owners would join me in suggesting to Clark that they incorporate the pocket flaps of the Tropical on all models with a weathershield (ws). The ws is great. And the better it works in wet conditions, the more water collects in the bottom of the hammock pockets after running down the sides of the ws into gathered-hem-top pockets.* Clark told me nobody else has ever had the problem. Am I the only owner without water-vaporizing zippers on the ws?

*Frankly, even a little water is a pain in the a--, since some of it gets into the hmmck; and what settles in the pockets has to be checked for and removed before packing up.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Condensation collection?

So far I have not experienced any.

If this is a problem, would a weep-hold that was hot melted with a heated nail or a 25W soldering iron solve the problem?

Jim

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Weep holes?

I'm so happy in my hammock, I never thought of weep holes. Weep holes are for those trying to get and be comfortable on the hard ground or on 20" wide too-thin (or deflated-by-sharp-rocks) pads.

But, seriously. Mercedes Benz put dozens of weep holes in millions of autos, (most of them grommeted). Contrary to diminishing the value of the cars, it extends the life of the bodies. I'd guess weep holes are still standard practice on protection of hundreds of millions of car doors from rusting out out from the water that gets by gaskets.

I think it is an excellent suggestion, and will search general HF archives for mention of them.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've got a question for you guys, how cold can you go in a clark using just the pockets? How thick are the z packs? At what point do you use an underquilt? Also, aside from extra storage, what is the point of the pockets (if you end up using an underquilt anyway?) --do the pockets add much warmth?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    IMO, the Z-Packs don't try to do as much as the pockets are capable of. They are darted,and can I think, hold 2" of loft. That's enough to take you down to 20F and lower. The external hook-and-looped triangle pad, though, for the foot end, is impractically long.

Warm winter in NJ, and I will not get to test this until Sunday night, and then maybe just that night.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    Snugfit underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps

Speer Snugfit

If you can find a Speer Snugfit, they are perfect. They are shaped and sized for the NX250 and use the velcro strips on the hammock to attach the sides from end to end so no drafts. Snugfit and a foam pad gets you well below zero with a bag rated for the weather.
    "I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early." Yogi Berra

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I've got a question for you guys, how cold can you go in a clark using just the pockets? ?
    i have slept comfortably down to -18degf in my clark na with only stuffing the pockets with wool cloths and some down cloths,and bags of cattail fluff.buttoned my coat around the foot end.have never used an uq with it despite haveing slept over 50 times below freezeing.stuffing the pockets works very good for car camping and pulk pulling trips,but it is hard to beat a down uq for packability if backpacking.
    diyin to hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123