HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Miguel : ?????

I to have a full length 0* Incubator, and have tried it set up with the cords over the hoop pockets. But I have not been able to get it to really snug up against my back. Maybe I am not tightening the shock cord sufficiently......

Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I to have a full length 0* Incubator, and have tried it set up with the cords over the hoop pockets. But I have not been able to get it to really snug up against my back. Maybe I am not tightening the shock cord sufficiently......

Jim
    The inability to see how well one is tucked in is a killer. Or, rather, a chiller.

I had assumed my back was itself flat enough to remove hills and furrows in the hammock bottom that would admit cold air. Then I found out one AM it wasn't true.
    As, I've done elsewhere, too often, maybe, I'd urge you to take advantage of those pockets and put some thin pillows in the forward ones. They'll work as insulation, and also work especially as gasketing.

When I was in home construction, I learned that effective stoppage of air infiltration was often the most important function of insulation. IOW, we thought we were insulating, when most of our time was effectively spent on caulking.

If there IS a gap, it way well be due to failure of the shock-cord to stand up to the cold. I saw variation in performance here in NJ the last wee. We need better elastomers.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Very true DemostiX.

Those little gaps will bite you in the butt when you least expect it.

The problem I have is that the dimension between the head and foot hoop webbing is shorter than the length of the Incubator. My first idea was to replace the shock cord sections inside the grograin side tunnels with Dynaglide and short sections of SC at the end attachments, and hope that the UQ would "inchworm" between the hoops. Less than ideal results.

This weekend I will try leaving the head end hoop in place but going hoopless at the foot to allow the UQ to stretch out to full length (with the Dynaglide removed and the shock cord back in place). I am thinking that the longer sections of SC will allow a tighter tension, improving the snugness.

Iam going to try UQ Triangle Thingies from AHE as well. They might be the ticket.

Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I disagree about longer sections of shock cord being a solution in this case. The UQ is large enough and does not have to move. What is needed is the right length of the right shock cord. Cord maxes out at about double its length, and should be pre-loaded a minimum of 20% of length.

So, a start would likely be in drastically shortening the full length of the furnished cord with a knot. The full length UQ is 77" long. The hung NX250 length is about 90". So start with shock cords that are no longer than the UQ, and even shorter.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Clark NX-250 & JRB MW-4

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Mt Washinton 4 is a zero degree quilt that fits very well.

Remember I'm biased.

Pan
    +1 ... I have an NX-250 and a MW-4 and can attest to the MW-4s ability to fit the NX-250 and keep you very warm down to zero degrees.

I'm not biased, just a satisfied user.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Yeah Demo, we are actually talking about

the same technique. I know that I will be pulling the SC really tight to obtain snugness. I learned my lesson on that with a 3/4 UQ. I might even up-size the SC for a snugger fit.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post

Jim
    The FL Incubator is too long for that but the IX is perfect. I'm in upstate NY and plan on going out some night this week. I'm going to use both the IX and my 20 degree Incubator together. The IX will go against the hammock and will be threaded over the side tabs. The Incubator will will go under the IX. I don't winter camp enough to justify a 0 deg. UQ but I think the combination I have will work quite well. We'll see.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Ajust. Webbing

NX 250: An Interesting Experiment

Howdy All,
    With a dreary and boring afternoon on tap here in RI, I thought I would play around with a couple of my new Christmas toys, a HG winter incubator and my Kestrel 2500 weather meter.

The outdoor temperature was 50.5 degrees with light gusts of 2 to 3 mph...overcast with a very slight hint of intermittent drizzle (yuck).

I set up my NX 250 in the backyard and strapped on the incubator, fine tuning it as required. I jumped inside, closed the weather shield, and monitored the temperature. Although I only had on a light fleece jacket, I was pleasantly pleased to feel the warmth radiate around my shoulders, back and legs...no cold spots whatsoever. Over the course of 30 minutes, the temperature rose from 50.5 degrees to stablize at 68.7 degrees. Under these conditions, I could have easily slept with no overquilt. Also, I could see the the weather shield moving but there was no hint of a breeze inside. As the rain started to increase I packed it in. I plan to redo the test as it gets colder to see how much the temperature delta drops off as a function of outside temperature.

Of course, I do all this in the name of science and for for the betterment of mankind and the hammocking community...not for fun...nope...there's no fun in goofing around with this stuff...none whatsoever...

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Good info y'all, I may do some experimenting this weekend with mine. Got down to 28 degrees last night. brrrrr can't wait to check it out.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    So, it sounds like if you're using an UQ, then you can't put anything in the pockets. Is that correct?
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast