Byer of Maine
    Tarp
    5x7 Wally World
    Insulation
    baginabag
    Suspension
    depends
    Images
    mayday is coming and a friend of mine from work too.
    40 nights out hammocking 2011...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Just so that I and everyone else is understanding this, this is a backpacking trip and not just a hangout. The plan is to hike, snowshoe, skip or whatever from one site to the next??

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    ...this is a backpacking trip and not just a hangout.
    Last year four of us hung out on Roan High Knob... it it weren't for the fact that we had to range far and wide for firewood, we would not have enjoyed it much at all.

On Roan High Knob, there is no view without leaving and going somewhere else. If it is blowing, it can be very cold. The firewood was pretty wet, and reluctant to burn. The Belgian got his name from bringing a pulk load of firewood up from the parking lot!

Even Overmountain Shelter would be a little small for a two night hangout. That's why I vote for backpacking... not very far, but a hike nonetheless.

- MacEntyre

P.S. Thing1 won't go if we don't at least do a couple of day hikes.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Last year four of us hung out on Roan High Knob... it it weren't for the fact that we had to range far and wide for firewood, we would not have enjoyed it much at all.

On Roan High Knob, there is no view without leaving and going somewhere else. If it is blowing, it can be very cold. The firewood was pretty wet, and reluctant to burn. The Belgian got his name from bringing a pulk load of firewood up from the parking lot!

Even Overmountain Shelter would be a little small for a two night hangout. That's why I vote for backpacking... not very far, but a hike nonetheless.

- MacEntyre

Yep. I feel part of my issue last year was getting up to altitude, then just sitting there. It will require a different mindset (no pulk, but more layers and even lighter gear) but I think it will be an excellent challenge.
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

- MacEntyre

I agree that staying put for several days has limited utility. However, there were several day hikes and outings that were made last year either to the gardens or the other side of Carvers Gap.

The challenge with an actual backpacking trip is multiple. Logistically, it requires everyone to arrive and depart around the same time (at least for each leg). Last year we had folks arriving from Friday morning to Saturday afternoon. There is also the issue of conditions. We can plan all that we want the third week in December, but until the conditions are known, planning an actual backpacking trip is pointless. There could be no snow with temps in the 60's or there could be five feet of snow with another two feet on the way. Deciding how many miles can be covered so far in advance could prove an exercise in futility. I know I make trailhead decisions on my winter backpacking trips as the conditions dictate as opposed to my schedule.

If it's an actual backpacking trip, you may as well wait until the beginning of February to decide your route and then arrange for everyone to arrive around the same time.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Dark View Post
    Yep. I feel part of my issue last year was getting up to altitude, then just sitting there. It will require a different mindset (no pulk, but more layers and even lighter gear) but I think it will be an excellent challenge.
    Dragging all of the extra stuff up for the pot luck did not help. I know I had 20 lbs of charcoal and a five pound pot among other things. The pulks did not fair very well on the off camber stretches of trail either. Using any snowshoes other than technical ones would probably be slower rather than faster as well.
    I'm planning on packing lighter, leaner and smarter. On my solo trips, I'd never dream of carrying as much as I did to RHK last time. I can usually get by with less than 35 lbs for three days in the snow covering several miles a day.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    things I learned last time-
    I think most would agree that conditions on RHK last year were brutal.
    Obviously I can sleep most of the time away.
    RHK was not pot luck dinner kinda place.
    That even with backpacking on the second day one (me) still would need a very very warm parka for break time and camp set up time....lightweight backpacking joys of the other seasons are nec. suspended this time of year.
    Agreed with Wisenber-the actual 'doings' will have to be planned 2-5 days prior so flex is important.....what I've decided is that I'm spending Friday night on RHK in the group hanging area by the shelter-this for personal reaons-it's my birthday again so two years in a row though I don't want the same two trees.
    The next night can be wherever the conditions allow or even not at all....it is a trip of sentiment and not mileage--like most who will attend I've done this section of the AT in every direction too many times to count and in a dendrology class buswhacking the Roan with no trail for hours trying to find a specific tree.
    I have not ruled out a pulk, in fact I plan on having one along for when possible but far lighter, smaller, and part of my pack.
    And of course the obvious, if we get a '92-93 snow dump on Wed or Thur before only the military will be getting to Roan Mountain and probably not in 4 wheeled vehicles.
    All that said I hope for bare trails under a 60F sun and a second night Overmountain.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I have not ruled out a pulk, in fact I plan on having one along for when possible but far lighter, smaller, and part of my pack.
    Like the Portable Pulk Sled?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    That's the thing. Most of the pulks used up there had no blades for tracking. That (and gravity) made them keep sliding downhill and off the trail. I'd look more toward something with a ski or two to track better on the off camber sections.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    That's the thing. Most of the pulks used up there had no blades for tracking. That (and gravity) made them keep sliding downhill and off the trail. I'd look more toward something with a ski or two to track better on the off camber sections.
    I think we both lost some gear on the slide out last year.Intrested in trip but got a get off one day first.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast