Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member KerMegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,479
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

    Oh, and I had an idea for dessert. How about Bananas Flambe with Bacon? I'm not sure whether we should use cognac, rum, Bacardi 151 or Everclear in the recipe. Decisions, decisions.
    Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. my favorite for cooking.

    especially "Bananas Flam-bow!"
    Last edited by KerMegan; 12-13-2011 at 11:50.

  2. #12
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Posts
    8,309
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Has it occurred to you yet to check your GPS a couple of times whenever you get near that intersection?? ;-) Nice reports guys, thanks.
    A GPS is way down on my priority list of stuff to buy, but it sure would be handy when hiking at night in the Pine Barrens. The trail markings are less than spectacular, especially when the trail merges with a road for sections. The places where I kept getting lost were clearings where several roads merge together. When you enter the clearing, you might be heading north, but then the trail goes south (the direction you just came from) before turning north again. Sometimes the trail entrance and exit onto a road are on the same side of the road, which is counter-intuitive because you expect the trail to be on the other side of the road in the direction you are heading.

    The other problem is that these are large clearings with trees far apart. At night, I've had to walk around the entire clearing because the trail exit point could be anywhere.

    With a GPS, I'm not sure you would ever get to truly KNOW the land, the subtle changes in appearance between one place and the next (and trust me, the changes are very subtle in the Pine Barrens because it all looks alike). When you really know the land, it becomes a part of you.

    With a GPS, you'll probably know the route really well, but you won't know the land. It's the same thing when you drive with a GPS. When I go to Boston, a city I've lived in and visited for twenty years, I laugh at what the GPS is telling me. The GPS can never navigate Boston as well as I can because I learned the city from experience.

  3. #13
    Dos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    So Cal
    Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    DogBun
    Suspension
    Dutch bling/strap
    Posts
    2,354
    Images
    5
    +1 to the Boston navigation by experience

  4. #14
    Senior Member Iafte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Williamstown, NJ
    Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Posts
    1,192
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Silent Orpheus - I nominate you Director of Adult Beverages for the NJ Winter Hang. After hearing some of your encyclopedic knowledge, I think you're the man for the job!
    Glad you had a good time and look forward to meeting you next month.

    Silent Orpheus- We are going to get along just fine at the hang. We are also masters of The Subtle Art of Beer and Whiskey Snobbery.
    Last edited by Iafte; 12-13-2011 at 13:31. Reason: Spelling
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

  5. #15
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Posts
    8,309
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Glad you had a good time and look forward to meeting you next month.

    Silent Orpheus- We are going to get anong just fine at the hang. We are also masters of The Subtle Art of Beer and Whiskey Snobbery.
    Hey, I'm in that club too. I brought a Belgian Framboise Lambic for dessert. Beats the heck out of s'mores!

  6. #16
    SkyPainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stoneham, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Camo
    Insulation
    AHE: HG TQUQ: Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Posts
    3,045
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    +1 to the Boston navigation by experience
    ===> Hehehe...yep, we tell folks to shut the GPS off when they are in Boston! In the city, if you followed the directions, you would either crash, get mugged, or wind-up in Atlantic City! ROFL! Some places just don't map real well with a GPS - Boston is one of them!

    Sky
    SkyPainter - "... and then the police came."

    All these years people said,"He's acting like a kid!"
    He did not know that he could not fly, and so, he DID!

    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

    "Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run! He hates that!"

    My outdoorsy YouTube channel is: "WMICommissioner"

  7. #17
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,650
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ===> Hehehe...yep, we tell folks to shut the GPS off when they are in Boston! In the city, if you followed the directions, you would either crash, get mugged, or wind-up in Atlantic City! ROFL! Some places just don't map real well with a GPS - Boston is one of them!

    Sky
    It even became a joke for a webcomic at one point.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Posts
    4,444
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A GPS is way down on my priority list of stuff to buy, but it sure would be handy when hiking at night in the Pine Barrens. The trail markings are less than spectacular, especially when the trail merges with a road for sections. The places where I kept getting lost were clearings where several roads merge together. When you enter the clearing, you might be heading north, but then the trail goes south (the direction you just came from) before turning north again. Sometimes the trail entrance and exit onto a road are on the same side of the road, which is counter-intuitive because you expect the trail to be on the other side of the road in the direction you are heading.

    The other problem is that these are large clearings with trees far apart. At night, I've had to walk around the entire clearing because the trail exit point could be anywhere.

    With a GPS, I'm not sure you would ever get to truly KNOW the land, the subtle changes in appearance between one place and the next (and trust me, the changes are very subtle in the Pine Barrens because it all looks alike). When you really know the land, it becomes a part of you.

    With a GPS, you'll probably know the route really well, but you won't know the land. It's the same thing when you drive with a GPS. When I go to Boston, a city I've lived in and visited for twenty years, I laugh at what the GPS is telling me. The GPS can never navigate Boston as well as I can because I learned the city from experience.
    I used to canoe the Pine Barrens. It all looks like sand and pine trees. BTDT. I also lived with a GPS for years driving to customers. The one thing they are good for is the answer to your problem. Check it at the intersection, make you guess, check again in a couple of minutes. Saves a lot of walking. In the car they are good for the last mile unless you are using a navigation system than lets you lay out the route from experience.

  9. #19
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Exit 5, NJ
    Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    294
    Images
    1
    Sorry I missed you guys, had a death in the family. I'd much rather have been out in the piney woods.

    Silver Surfer, I'll get your permit fee for the NJ Winter Hang. Actually, Kayak Karl should cover us both. I got him a permit last time I went to Lower Forge (the actual Lower Forge) and he went MIA then too.
    - Dylan

    “You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

  10. #20
    Senior Member DGrav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge v2
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, & DC
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Silent Orpheus- We are going to get along just fine at the hang. We are also masters of The Subtle Art of Beer and Whiskey Snobbery.
    If I'm able to make it I'll try to bring a keg from the brewery.
    JRB Beta Tester http://www.jacksrbetter.com/ ... Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, No Sniveller Universal Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.

    Brewer CoFounder - Local Nano

Similar Threads

  1. NJ Pine Barrens planning
    By natureboy68 in forum Northeast
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 08:00
  2. When the Taliban came to the Pine Barrens 7/28-29-12
    By SilvrSurfr in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 13:41
  3. NJ Pine Barrens
    By brownham in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 16:42
  4. New Jersey Pine Barrens 11/6
    By kayak karl in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 22:05

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •