Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images

JRB 8x8 tarp help needed

I could really use some tarp pitching advice...... (PLEASE !! )

This past weekend, I got to hang out with my new JRB 8x8 tarp w/ the self tensioning lines.

Weather- it POURED and was very windy!

I have a HH ULBAsym I used under the tarp.

I was wondering, about how much space should there be between the hammock ridgeline and the tarp ridgeline?

With this weather, should I be pitching as low and narrow as possible?
    Or, should I raise up the height slightly and go narrower?

I found with the wind added, and the condensation that was coating the underside of the tarp, when the wind blew strongly, it was shaking off the moisture onto me in excess.

It seemed like it was hard to keep the tarp taught in the wind with the self-tensioners, although with the wind being rather strong, I don't know if that would have really mattered....

Should I have guyed out the other available loops too?

How do you recommend I pitch in these conditions???

After many years of "getting my system down" with ground dwelling, now I am back in kindergarten learning from scratch here !

Perkolady

Images

A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes...

I have included my set-up below as you can see. It's not a JRB tarp but the idea is the same.

Back on Xmas Eve I had the tarp edges down tighter to the hammock and suffered a condensation issue too. Thus last night I slept in it configured like this. I set them ridgeline to ridgeline as yoou should notice in the last picture so that when I crawl my bottom in and the hammock takes my weight there is actually a couple inch gap that forms right now.

In case you have not read it before, tie your tarp seperate from the hammock so you can adjust for the gap when you weight the hammock. The first picture shows how I had the wings set. Ideally you should drop the windward side down as close as you can and leave the lee or windless side open so that air can circulate and remove the warm moist air of your breath and body.

Slept in this down to 30 degrees last night and only caught a chill about midnight which was easy to fix by adding a 200 weight fleece pull-over to my polypros and wool socks. I'll be out again in this tonight seeing as how the weather man says a low of 24-25 and that's close to what I want to achieve with this set-up.

Hope this helps!

TOG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Touch of Grey; 01-09-2007 at 15:41.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I use the JRB on a homemade hammock. I have found that using the tarp tensioners on the bottom corners and tying the ridgeline tight without using tensioners is better for me in windy conditions.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Touch of gray's set up is mostly what I do, the colder &/or more windy I put it tighter (closer in?) yes, it seems to increase condensation, but I'm warmer.

Doctari.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks for the responses
    (thanks also for the pics, TOG!)

I only use the self-tensioners for the sides. I just use a regular cord for the ridgeline ties.
    I also set the tarp up separately from the hammock, esp in the rain.

I will try that tip with the ridgelines starting out together.

I was wondering if maybe I had started out with the tarp a bit too high, which was adding to the spray. It makes sense that there's probably more movement the lower you go down the tarp sides, so I will try to tuck up under there !

I am thinking that maybe a lot of this kind of thing just comes with the territory of hammocking

*Another question I have-
    How tight should I be making the ridgeline on the tarp? Should it have a "slight" amount of "give", making the ridgeline seem a bit on the "caternary" side, or should I just be tightening up as much as possible?

Appreciate any input here !!

Perkolady

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When it's windy and rainy, I hang the tarp separately and tie it onto the tree 6-10" below where the hammock is tied to the tree. I crank the ridgeline down as tightly as I think the material can handle, then do the best I can on the sides. I haven't been in a windy enough rain with the JRB to use the extra tie-outs, but I guess it could only help.

I also don't tighten the side guylines so much that the tensioners are fully extended. I leave a bit of elastic in the tensioners so they can absorb the wind deflection.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks, Jeff !

I really like this JRB tarp. It has good coverage.
    Once I got it centered properly, I also hooked it onto the stock tarp clips on my HH (helped with the tarp lifting in the upward wind), and it kept most of the rain from blowing in the ends !

It was rather extreme with the wind and pouring rain. I must admit, it was a bit alarming

It's one thing to deal with one or the other, but having both to THAT extent, made me realize I had better learn all I can to keep myself and my gear protected

Perkolady

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JJ's post # 6 is all good info....

I add..

For a storm pitch I prefer the tarp ridge about 6-8 inches above the HH rifgeline and the side down at about 45 degree....peg it about6-10 inches beyond the 75-90 % extended STLs... this results in adequated ventilation and and best coverage, and without having to crawn on the ground to get in/out.

"A lot of wind" usually traces to poor site selection and / or poor tree selection.... First order of business is a sheltered site. Lee of the ridge line, behind boulders, behind thicket, in a draw, etc.... Then pick trees that align the hammock and tarp side to the prevailing and/or expected wind direction.

The extra tie out on the JRB 8x8 tarp are there for issues such as these if the wind is unavoidable or a true surprise event... they are the easiest answer to more tarp security...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks a bunch, Pan !

I'll give it a try.

This trip offered no choices for setting up, so I am sure that was a major part of the problem (which I didn't even think to factor in until I read your post)

I was just thinking this morning.... I wonder if part of my problem is also that I am so SHORT, and usually have to set up my hammock pretty low- and the tarp follows, which causes me to have to stake out the sides a bit wider than should be.

Maybe I should pack a step ladder, lol

I was VERY grateful to have a Weather Shield set- GREAT gear !!!

Thanks again!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Thanks a bunch, Pan !

I'll give it a try.

This trip offered no choices for setting up, so I am sure that was a major part of the problem (which I didn't even think to factor in until I read your post)

I was just thinking this morning.... I wonder if part of my problem is also that I am so SHORT, and usually have to set up my hammock pretty low- and the tarp follows, which causes me to have to stake out the sides a bit wider than should be.

Maybe I should pack a step ladder, lol

I was VERY grateful to have a Weather Shield set- GREAT gear !!!

Thanks again!
    Perkolady
    do you have to stake your tarp wider because it's reaching the ground at that height?
    if so, mabey you need a more narrow tarp? just a thought.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast