Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.

Big Sur CA - Upper Salmon Creek Falls 12/10,11 (pic heavy)

So it was a trip of firsts; first trip with several new pieces of gear and my first overnight in an area I'd scoped several times before. I knew there was no place to put a tent, but that's hammockin for ya! I threw out a couple invites, but with Christmas so close it was gonna be another solo trip.

Got up at about 0400 on Sat 12/10, got to see an entire lunar eclipse out of my driver's side window on my way up.
    LINK to a newpaper article (not my local paper) about the eclipse
    I was boots on the trail by 0630 and got to see the sunrise as I walked. The thermometer on my rear view read about 42 when I left the truck.

The first of the firsts shined almost immediately; my new Treksta Evolution Mid hiking boots are almost perfect. They are super light, have good ankle support, and whoever designed that toe box should be knighted. I can't say how fantastic it felt to not just have your big toe jamming against the front of your shoe on downhills.
    The second of my firsts also shined: I'm a proud new ULA Catalyst owner, it's very comfy and super light. Not to mention that I'm able to take the GG ccf pad I always take with me for the hammock and use it to replace the stock back panel padding for more weight and volume savings.
    I stopped at a high-ground camp to gather dry tinder and kindling as I knew I'd be dropping back into the grotto at the falls, and likely everything would be wet. I moved slowly on the way in to take pictures and dropped off the main trail down what is basically a leafy controlled slide down into the grotto. I had my pack off by 0830. I'd heard, but not seen, only one other hiker and I had the noisy grotto (think white noise machine up waaay too loud) all to myself.
    First thing I noticed: it was cold. Cold and damp. As usual my hiking shirt was soaked, so fire became the priority. Got one going, changed into my dry long sleeve and the world looked brighter.

Next firsts: My incredibly light and versatile combo of a new Patagonia Micropuff Hoody and ridiculously light Marmot Supermica jacket. Holy moly. For me, I nailed this combo. Hoods up/down, pit zips open/closed. Endless combinations and soooo warm when all buttoned up.

Next first: first set up "in the wild" of whoopie slings. I'd test run several "nap-length" hangs in the front yard, but was still a little nervous. However I was determined to spend the night suspended by these little ropes.
    I was hoping to have a HammockGear Winter Palace cuben to brag about for this trip, but alas, it was not to be. The trusty Superfly was along for the ride.

Next first: no water filter no hydration bladder. Boiled some water on the fire and used aqua Mira for the rest of my water needs; used plastic bottles for storage.

The fishing was pretty good, with a consistent bite and several small beautiful takers. All caught and released. I did have an A-HA moment while I was sitting on the rocks and fishing; super ultralight breathable footwear breathes away a lot of the heat around your feet. I vowed to make sure one of my pairs of socks next time would be a thick sleep/camp sock typed deal, as I've been hiking in thinner socks lately.

The grotto got NO direct sunlight, and as the afternoon went on it started getting dark quickly. I took advantage of the faux-evening to change up lures and locations and it paid off.

I landed this trout after several big hits from him. He was so big compared to everything else I caught (and have caught in the same area) I'm not convinced he wasn't a young steelhead. Picced and released.

Dinner for the next first: I have a brand of freeze dried chili that I love but really wanted cornbread. I'd practiced at home and pulled it off, so I brought an extra ounce of fuel and steam baked some cornbread on the fancee feest stove.

Super, super good.

First: using the ccf pad I always bring in between the layers of my BB. I probably would have been fine without it, but I figured with all the other things I was trying for the first time, why not? It was a toasty night's sleep.

The next morning was a very relaxing; just me, nobody else's agenda and no rush. Kept enough dry kindling for a morning fire. clouds were comin in so I got packed up.

I had a visitor announce himself by screaming "Rock! Look out!" from the main trail above me. He was trying to come down a scree slope and the football sized rock and its friends bounced aggressively past me 25' or so away. I directed him to trail that wasn't a trail and ten minutes later he was at my camp. Nice guy. We talked, he took some pics, and he split. I could hear him swearing loudly as he tried to make it up the leafy slope. He must have made it because I didn't hear from him again. Fished a little, por nada, and when it started to rain, I knew it was time to go. The leafy slippery slope to get out was a little gnarly; trekking poles were a must have in my book and in four minutes of balance and leg pumping I was back up on the main trail.

Hiked out in a light rain and able to see my breath. The official Big Sur mascot was out due to the damp weather:

I was back at the truck by about 1530 hrs. Although I like longer trips too, these 36 hour excursions have been great as this was my eighth (or so) trip to the woods this year; without being willing to squeeze in a trip like this I'd only have been out a time or two in 2011. Great trip and first run for several pieces of new gear.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Nice pics. nice spot with waterfall and all.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Nice trip. Thanks. Cool Banana slug.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Sometimes the trips alone are the best, especially when you can try out so many new things. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    That all sounds great. That sure is a great part of the world down there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    When weather permits, Big Sur is the place to go all year around. This may motivate me to get back there soon. That cornbread looks soooo gooood!!!

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Great report!! I've hiked North Big Sur around Sykes hotsprings but never the south end. I'm inspired now.

I own the Nanopuff and Mica too.... Great combo here in California. I'll sometimes sub my Patty Down Sweater and Houdini depending on the season.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    The cornbread is Marie Callendar's instant "butter/honey" flavor, and it baked up all kinds of perfect.

Hobie: let me know and we could put something together. My buddy and I are already loosely talking about a Jan trip back to Manzana Narrows too... I tried the Houdini, but it didn't work with my "figure". very impressed with both pieces though.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Nice report... Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the tarp.. That is my next purchase... Talked to hobie cause he and I have the same hammock-- and was looking at the madcat.. But those cuben tarps from Hammockgear sure are nice... Im thinking about giving that catalyst a try too.. Looks like you had fun.. Nice to see some places to fish here on the central coast..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Thanks for the trip report, the hiking in Ca is really amazing. I'm interested in the how you do cornbread on an alcohol stove as well as details about your fly fishing rig for backpacking.

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast