Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Poles for treeless hang

I'm not sure the anchor problem is solved, but it is definitely on the run.

As for the poles, the question I think comes down to height, strength and clever loading.
    I am not sure how low I can go just yet. I think the key will be to just barely clear the ground. So that may dictate that dimension.

The strength may mean that I need to bi-pole it. I'm ok with that if the carrying package is easy to pack. I'm not chasing grams, so a little more weight won't kill the design. But it needs to be easy to pack and strap.

I think that many of the issues with strength and breaking come down to how the pole is loaded. Lots of poles are plenty strong enough in compression, but buckling is their downfall. I'd like to investigate the loading aspects of the setup to see if they can be used to reduce the side loads.

Since my hammock will be a bridge style (grizzbridge style to give credit where due), I'm toying around with the idea of having 2 poles at either end and attach them where the end of the spread bar is/was.

I've even sketched out a system that uses 1 pole at either end and 2 in the middle on either side of the hammock. This would spread the load out pretty evenly I think. But logistically this may be for the birds.

Somebody else testing the "Claw"

This guy is testing a version of the claw that is not solid framed. If I can work out my line dimensions, this would be similar to what I envision for the my pattern of anchors.

http://www.instructables.com/id/3-po...amic/?ALLSTEPS

I picked up some supplies from Depot today, so hopefully by the end of the week I will have some new designs to test and report.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Very interesting link. That bears investigating.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Very interesting! You could even mitigate the angle of the cord on the stake using the stake boom idea bandied about a while ago, although that suggestion is admittedly arm-chair engineering.

I am curious as to the holding power of these "claw-like" devices when the cord to the load is at a pretty good angle to the ground anchor. For holding up a hammock stand the sharper the angle the greater the force, so there's a trade-off lurking about in there somewhere.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBW 1.1 Double, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, ENO
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I may have missed this suggestion, but why not simplify - these would be easy to DIY. Obviously takes a bit more effort to get buried - but I can tell you that deadman systems like this hold (albeit wet sand makes them rock- solid).

http://www.rei.com/product/725165/re...d-tent-anchors

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I have a bunch of sand/snow anchors I made out of scraps of sil about 12" square. Sil is strong enough, and a lot lighter. When (if) they wear out, I'd make them a bit bigger next time.

Sand/Snow anchors

WV,
    I like the idea of using the surrounding ground (and mostly sand at that). However, I suspect that the state parks would not appreciate my digging up a ton of ground to fill my anchors. Since their objection to me using the trees in the first place is local nature disruption.

I like the idea of packing a few ounces of sil in place of stakes all together though.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I'm currently using 10'' knitting needles .. less then $3.00 a pair ... 10 grams each ... put them in at an opposie angle then your guy line ..

I just found these and will be either trying to replicate 'em...or forking over a few bucks ... http://www.toughstake.com/products/
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Looks like those could be use for a poop trowel too.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

in thinking about this I suspect The Claw might be a bit of overkill for the application - the application has the force coming from only one direction so a linear type of anchor may well be all that is needed - for example ABOK #212 or #1819 / #1820 - arrange the stakes in a line pointing to the pole tying the top of the stake closest to the pole to the bottom of the next stake then repeat for the number of stakes used

for sand you may need fairly long stakes but by ganging them up in a linear arrangement you can distribute the force among the stakes and add it all up to what you need for the hammock support

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast