Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,374

    Minnesota: Sht Dec. 28-30

    Hey dudes, Fronkey here and I'm planning on headed up north to do some winter camping and wanted to extend an invite to any experienced hangers.

    I know it's in between two major holidays and during the week, but I'm really antsy and have some free time then to hit the snowy woods.

    I plan on hanging at South Egge lake for a couple nights to kick back and relax. I'm bringing some extra do-dads and gear to play around with while I'm up there and cook up some good food too.

    Fronkey

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota!
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,726
    How much snow is up there now? I'm game of I get my incubator before then....

  3. #3
    beep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    2,086
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Hey dudes, Fronkey here and I'm planning on headed up north to do some winter camping and wanted to extend an invite to any experienced hangers.

    I know it's in between two major holidays and during the week, but I'm really antsy and have some free time then to hit the snowy woods.

    I plan on hanging at South Egge lake for a couple nights to kick back and relax. I'm bringing some extra do-dads and gear to play around with while I'm up there and cook up some good food too.

    Fronkey
    Ah....I'd be all over this, except I'm working both the 29th and the 30th! Gotta love retailing, right??
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

  4. #4
    AScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Twig, MN
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Posts
    670

    Not much...

    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    How much snow is up there now? I'm game of I get my incubator before then....
    2-4 inches depending on who you ask. Had a little melting today. There's not much snow in the forecast, either.

    It's been a very dry fall in this part of the state. If we don't get hammered with snow the rest of the season and have a wet spring, the fire danger next spring and summer is going to be pretty high.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!


  5. #5
    Senior Member Refreshing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chaska, MN
    Hammock
    Portaledge-Of-Love
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Posts
    553
    FINALLY a trip that doesnt fall on the weekend!

    But wait

    28th?

    I will be in SD

    no

    But to be more serious, i will be celebrating a late Christmas and I was just informed that we wont head back until the afternoon on the 28th. I have really been into the lazy-backpacking lately (minimal hiking, lots of camp activities) so this sounds awesome and I have never stayed at that campsite (it is always full!). It comes down to whether or not a short overnighter is worth burning through so much of my backpacking-trip-gas-money. So, I am going to try and pick up a few shifts over this week instead of hiking alone and maybe I can join you for one night. This may work.

  6. #6
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    15,679
    Images
    62
    H-m-m-m-m-m....Daughter will be home. Busy week.
    Maybe.
    Chances slim.
    Hope endures.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

    Shug's YouTube Videos

  7. #7
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    How much snow is up there now? I'm game of I get my incubator before then....
    Do you have warm enough clothes for the day to day though? I'm asking because I remember your "invention" from Afton and the temps are predicted to be in the negatives right now. I'm sure your new quilt set up will keep you nice and toasty, but you don't want to be hanging out in your hammock the whole time.

    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Ah....I'd be all over this, except I'm working both the 29th and the 30th! Gotta love retailing, right??
    Bummer man. I was hoping you would make this one because it's during the week and you could test flight your new hammarack too. A man's has to work though. See you at the frozen butt for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    2-4 inches depending on who you ask. Had a little melting today. There's not much snow in the forecast, either.

    It's been a very dry fall in this part of the state. If we don't get hammered with snow the rest of the season and have a wet spring, the fire danger next spring and summer is going to be pretty high.
    I plan on giving you a shout when we get a little closer to the dates. We have absolutely no snow here in the twin cities and I'm curious if I'll even have to bring snow shoes for the hike into Egge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    FINALLY a trip that doesnt fall on the weekend!

    But wait

    28th?

    I will be in SD

    no

    But to be more serious, i will be celebrating a late Christmas and I was just informed that we wont head back until the afternoon on the 28th. I have really been into the lazy-backpacking lately (minimal hiking, lots of camp activities) so this sounds awesome and I have never stayed at that campsite (it is always full!). It comes down to whether or not a short overnighter is worth burning through so much of my backpacking-trip-gas-money. So, I am going to try and pick up a few shifts over this week instead of hiking alone and maybe I can join you for one night. This may work.
    Keep me in the loop dude. It will be a lazy few days with just some winter exploring and fire duties to take care of. I can't wait!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    H-m-m-m-m-m....Daughter will be home. Busy week.
    Maybe.
    Chances slim.
    Hope endures.
    Shug
    That's awesome your lady will be in town! I hope you and you're family have an awesome holiday this year.


    Fronkey

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota!
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,726
    Getting down jacket and pants for Christmas.....plus I've got other winter gear that I didn't bring on the last trip. I'd be fine, but it doesn't matter...turns out I've got to photograph an engagement session on the 29th...facepalm

  9. #9
    Member db's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Hammock
    HH HYPERLITE A-SYM ZIP & DIY 1.1rip
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MarlinH
    Posts
    74
    Fronkey,

    I wish I could make it but I'll be at my wife's folks place. By the way, I received the down and para cloth. Just waiting on the stuff for you. I'll keep you posted. Have fun and make sure to do a video!

  10. #10
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,299
    Images
    80
    I expect to see a video with you on snow shoes.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Similar Threads

  1. Another fng from Minnesota
    By cmoor in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 08:23
  2. Hello from Minnesota
    By Wushih in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 20:30
  3. Hello from Minnesota
    By Kaycee in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 19:57
  4. hello from Minnesota
    By watertones in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 10:09
  5. New Guy from Minnesota
    By Generator67 in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 12:19

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •