Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Cold Feet......if your not wearing your parks but it over the hammock foot end. works great.
    Shug the Warm-footed.
    A great idea, but not workable on a hammock with netting attached, like a Hennessy or Blackbird.

I always have a down jacket with me, either a very light down liner in the summer, or a heavier, warmer down jacket in colder weather, and have often thought it would be the perfect answer for use as bottom insulation under my lower legs and feet, allowing me to use a 3/4 underquilt. I envision something made of netting and a bit of elastic to be used to hold a jacket up against the bottom of the hammock, like a mini UQ. Even in the case shown in your photo, it would seem more efficient to keep all of the down jacket under the hammock where it is needed, since your TQ provides the needed top insulation to your feet.

I am not a DIY gear maker so don't really know how easy or difficult something like this would be, but to my uninformed mind it seems like it would be rather easy. Judging by the plethora of ideas and innovations I see here at HF, I'm guessing somebody has probably tried this and knows why it is not practical, but I haven't come across the reason.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Great speaking voice you have there
    It's got narrator written all over it.

Nice area and nice report! Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just did do it on a -1º trip in my Blackbird but I have the netting flipped back....so it can be done. Now I am not so sure about a Hennessy as I don't have one.
    Shug

Originally Posted by Shug
    Cold Feet......if your not wearing your parka but it over the hammock foot end. works great.
    Shug the Warm-footed.
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    A great idea, but not workable on a hammock with netting attached, like a Hennessy or Blackbird.

I always have a down jacket with me, either a very light down liner in the summer, or a heavier, warmer down jacket in colder weather, and have often thought it would be the perfect answer for use as bottom insulation under my lower legs and feet, allowing me to use a 3/4 underquilt. I envision something made of netting and a bit of elastic to be used to hold a jacket up against the bottom of the hammock, like a mini UQ. Even in the case shown in your photo, it would seem more efficient to keep all of the down jacket under the hammock where it is needed, since your TQ provides the needed top insulation to your feet.

I am not a DIY gear maker so don't really know how easy or difficult something like this would be, but to my uninformed mind it seems like it would be rather easy. Judging by the plethora of ideas and innovations I see here at HF, I'm guessing somebody has probably tried this and knows why it is not practical, but I haven't come across the reason.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How about just having a piece of ripstop with some suspension attached like a UQ but no insulation of its own. Rig it up at the foot end, lay your jacket out in it and snug it up?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Great report. I think you just sold me on the 20* Phoenix. I would rather have a little too much then not enough. Plus I do not like having to sleep in a lot of clothing. Thanks for the great report again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123