Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Stomach Sleepers Help Me

Salutations Stomach Snoozers.....
    I have someone interested in trying hammocks but he is a dedicated stomach sleeper and thinks that he cannot possibly do that in a hammock. Please tell me your tricks, tweaks, sag vs. no sag ideas. Anything would be a terrific help to convert one to our fold.
    I thankee,
    Shug of the Supine Snooze
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Salutations Stomach Snoozers.....
    I have someone interested in trying hammocks but he is a dedicated stomach sleeper and thinks that he cannot possibly do that in a hammock. Please tell me your tricks, tweaks, sag vs. no sag ideas. Anything would be a terrific help to convert one to our fold.
    I thankee,
    Shug of the Supine Snooze
    Shug, two words: Bridge Hammock.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

sleeping on one's stomach

I rather suspect HF tires of me relating my story of getting into DIY hammocking...the short version is that I did so because building a bridge hammock was the only way I was going to be able to sleep on my stomach.

The bridge hammock supports the middle of you, it's like a hanging cot. It's not wide like a bed though. I've been able to sleep on my stomach provided that I've got my arms to my sides, or tucked under me, with my head raised by a pillow.

JRB sells them; some of us here on the forums build them. There are tradeoffs though, perhaps the most significant one is that you have to carry a larger tarp.

A man of your sewing talents could bang out a bridge hammock body in an afternoon, given the materials.

The ironic thing is that I end up sleeping on my back much more in my bridge hammock than I do in my own bed. Side sleeping is also excellent.

Grizz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for that Hooch and Grizz....I will pass it on to my constituent.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I spent the day helping The Jacks at their booth at Trail Days. They had several stomach sleepers try out the JRB bridge. All seemed impressed. They recommended a small support under the stomach to help with the little bit of natural sag. Could also be hung a little tighter than normal and will raise the center too.

I tried the bridge also...not on my stomach, but back and sides. Only problem...a little too short and weight rating too small for my mutant status. I'm promised a gear test if the ever build the heavy duty model.

Hope that helps...
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    what ever hammock you try, i would consider a partly inflated air mat to help give a more suitable "stomach sleeping platform" if the hammock itself isn't as comfortable as you want.
    just a thought.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    If not going with the bridge style ( probably that is your best bet), then probably the longer the better. I'm not a stomach sleeper, but I can get pretty much on my stomach, with adequate comfort, in my Claytor, which is probably simply due to it's 10 foot length. With my other hammocks I can't even attempt this.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Can't help you. I seem to be one of the very few people who sleeps on his stomach in most any hammock in which I can get diagonal. I find it difficult to get to sleep in any other position.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I can with both of my clarks but the new nx-200 is allot easyer and it's do to the fact that it's 110 inchs long I think. But on the other hand I have done it in my Clark NA but I have it pitched with very little sag

Images
    shug, alot of problems with stomach sleeping in a regular end gathered hammock are the result of the fabric stretching and droping your hips in the process. if you use a stronger fabric, such as a double layer, or possibly a polyester fabric, you will get less butt drop and thus a flatter lay. i weigh 160 and have been using both a double layer nylon 1.1 and a double layer polyester 1.4 both these do a pretty good job of supporting my hips better. you won't get quite as flat as in a bridge, but i can lay that way comfortably (never slept the night like that though) on the plus side laying like this in an end gathered hammock gives you ample room for arms/elbows in somewhat normal stomach sleeping position, and you have plenty room to bring your knees up as well. i would go 10 foot x 5 foot for dimensions, never tried any longer than that though.

another thing, people often sleep on their stomach at home because their mattress doesn't provide good back support, you sleep on your back and it gets stiff. if you have proper support (like a hammock) your back won't get sore and you can sleep that way, although it might take a few nights of getting used to the feeling. maybe challenge your friend to lay on his back till it gets stiff or uncomfortable, if he tries it he might realize it never does get stiff. just a thought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast