Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    They're truly scraps, just the cat cutouts. Do the numbers; the hex tarp use just 7 yards because Lawson switches middle and outer edges to minimize waste......and reduce cost to buyer.

I might want those strips, too, for reinforcement. But, then, the price for cutting may reflect their value to Lawson's.

Suggestion: Buy an extra 1/3 yard for reinforcing strips. Cheap enough.

But, find a pdf by suluk46.com testing bursting strengths of cuben tarp tie-outs, which suggests to me that (as with UHDPE cordage), there's an issue with dynamic resilience in wind gusts. Reinforcement strips will not easily change that.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-15-2012 at 20:52.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    They're truly scraps, just the cat cutouts. Do the numbers the hex. 7 yards only because Lawson switches middle and outer edges to minimize waste......and reduce cost to buyer.

I might want those strips, too, for reinforcement. But, then, the price for cutting may reflect their value to Lawson's.

Suggestion: Buy an extra 1/3 yard for reinforcing strips. Cheap enough.

But, find a pdf by suluk46.com testing bursting strengths of cuben tarp tie-outs, which suggests to me that (as with UHDPE cordage), there's an issue with dynamic resilience in wind gusts. Reinforcement strips will not easily change that.
    Thanks for chiming in.

I get that they switch the fabric to minimize waste. However, the two ends where the cat cut are should be enough fabric to make a couple stuff sacks with. That's what I wanted the fabric for.

Similar to the photo below, but with cat cuts.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Demostix, I've searched the Suluk website, and I can't find the pdf you mentioned. He seems to work with the lightest CTF3, CT.3K.08, which most consider too light for tarps. On the other hand, I've subjected my CT.6K.08 tarp (which some people still consider too light for tarps) to considerable abuse, and while I've had to repair holes punched into it by sharp objects (easy, by the way), I've never seen any sign of the tieouts weakening. This tarp has been left up for weeks at a time, year round, and it's seen some pretty good storms. Can you provide a link to the file you mentioned?

Fronkey, where do you think he starts cutting the next tarp?

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    The only tarp that has any waste is the Fastpacker, but I take the piece and cut it into small 6"x6" squares and give about 8 of these squares for EVERY tarp for extra reinforcement. The cat cuts don't have enough waste to do anything with but if you order a tarp and want them, I will be more then happy to include them because they just end up in the recycling bin anyway..

Thanks,
    Lawson

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainfitter View Post
    The only tarp that has any waste is the Fastpacker, but I take the piece and cut it into small 6"x6" squares and give about 8 of these squares for EVERY tarp for extra reinforcement. This is on top of the piece of CT5K. The hammock hex tarp really takes 7.33 yards of material but since I cut several at one time I am able to reduce the waste to Zero.. The cat cuts don't have enough waste to do anything with but if you order a tarp and want them, I will be more then happy to include them because they just end up in the recycling bin anyway..

Thanks,
    Lawson
    Oh ok. I understand where you're coming from and thanks a bunch for clearing that up. You'll hear from me again tomorrow on your site.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    Fronkey,

I understand what your getting at now. The material is stacked 4 layers thick and they are cut back to back. So that means each panel I cut yields 2 tarps.. I have a roll going with the hammock hex so every time I cut a new panel I get 2 tarps with no waste. I hope this makes sense now.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainfitter View Post
    Fronkey,

I understand what your getting at now. The material is stacked 4 layers thick and they are cut back to back. So that means each panel I cut yields 2 tarps.. I have a roll going with the hammock hex so every time I cut a new panel I get 2 tarps with no waste. I hope this makes sense now.
    It makes total sense. What was confusing to me was how you weren't getting waste and how you were making the tarps that long with only 7 yards. I get it now and please excuse my brain fart. lol

Fronkey

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Thanks for chiming in.

I get that they switch the fabric to minimize waste. However, the two ends where the cat cut are should be enough fabric to make a couple stuff sacks with. That's what I wanted the fabric for.

Similar to the photo below, but with cat cuts.

Fronkey
    And, then he makes the next one, off the same roll, maybe...... Anyway, Mountainfitter is in business, so it is reasonable of him to turn waste into $, as every tailor would like to do.

Believe me, I'm sympathetic. I asked for scraps when I last scored a DIY TQ here. KLHinNC was so generous (and I hope not tired of DIY) I felt guilty to get a swath, not scraps.

I farkled the red outer layer of a WM Summerlite sleeping bag, and would have loved to buy some patches to make the most unobtrusive repair. (Shout - out to WV for sending me some Pertex = that helped with me another screw-up on an interior.)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Demostix, I've searched the Suluk website, and I can't find the pdf you mentioned. <snip>
    David:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2KMA6HFvpCwX9A

I'm not disputing the strength of cuben over nylon. I am openly wondering about resilience to gusts. Sailmakers would know the appropriate trade-offs here.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    David:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2KMA6HFvpCwX9A

I'm not disputing the strength of cuben over nylon. I am openly wondering about resilience to gusts. Sailmakers would know the appropriate trade-offs here.
    Many thanks. This relates well to my experience with tests of CTF3 bonding methods, but we should let this thread get back on topic: Mountainfitter has CTF3 for sale (stronger than the stuff tested, too, I believe).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123