Thread: Sewing practice

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Sewing practice

For all you DIY project guys: I’m about to steal my sister’s sewing machine & start some projects. My question is what do you guys feel is the best material to use, what thread, and the best project to LEARN to sew. At this point I have ZERO experience sewing.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

I was introduced to sewing, years ago, thru a VCR series called "Sewing with Nancy." It really was good and actually a sewing/fabric store lent it to me 'cause they were so happy to have a guy be interested. There really is a lot to bobbin tension and technique, maybe it's like skiing or golf; a little instruction at the beginning goes a long way. It just might keep you from throwing the machine out the window in frustration.
    Last edited by daibutsu; 05-16-2008 at 18:42.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I already have a knowledgeable neighbor lined up to give me a couple of lessons. I know this help will go a LONG way towards keeping my sanity.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    6'

Just starting myself, but, I use nylon thread, "outdoor" or "upholstery" type, not polyester, because polyester and cotton break constantly. ($3+) My first projects were gear bags, and a ' practice ' parka made from an old bed sheet. Have moved on to a DIY hammock, and UQ.

It has been a journey of both patience, and common sense, (99% patience) It's certainly not rocket science. I remember much from my mothers sewing, almost 50 yr. ago, and, have the same machine now. My wife helps me take things apart which I have sewn together wrong here and there. (or inside out) I really enjoy making new equipment, and appreciate the HF people's experiences. Probably would not have gotten into it with out them.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Gutterman's thread is very popular here. It is polyester and will not rot or degrade in sunlight. Nylon thread is not the way to go for outdoor projects. The thin and slippery materials such as silnylon are difficult to sew so I would not start with them. Many projects on this site start out with 1.9 oz. ripstop which is not too hard to sew. Good luck and have fun and remember there is a learning curve so don't get frustrated.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Based on the little sewing that I've done, get some ripstop from the $1 bin at Wally World and sew lots and lots of stuff sacks. It's good practice. Also, if you know someone who can provide a lesson or 2, definitely take them up on it. It'll save you a lot of frustration and dirty words. Just take your time and remember you're trying to enjoy yourself, not run a race.

I have to second the words of gstepclassical to get quality polyester thread. It is definitely the way to go for outdoor projects. If you want to get some cheap polyester to practice with, go for it. Then save your good polyester thread for projects. Ed Speer sells a huge cone of polyester thread on his site for an excellent price.
    Last edited by Hooch; 05-17-2008 at 06:55.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    If you get the cone of thread from Ed Speer, realize that it will have to be rewound onto something else that will fit on your machine to use. I used a second bobbin. That seems obvious, but even though I have years of sewing behind me (wayyy behind me), I picked it up and looked at it as I sat at the machine and was stumped for a minute. My friend Nancye looked around and found a plastic serving spoon with a long handle, and she held it with the cone on it while I wound the bobbins with the machine. I'll try to attach a pic of it.

Hmmmm, that one must be on Nancye's camera. I'll get a copy and post it.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Somewhere there is a pic of a DIY thread holder for cones. It is made from a CD/DVD spindle and a coat hanger bent into a guide wand. Saves a ton of grief for rewinding. In fact you can draw the thread the directly off the cone on your machine in most cases. The tension may need to be adjusted but that would be an idividual machine thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

spindle for Ed's monster thread cone

found the picture.
    Mine does not look so tidy, but it has served me well enough.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Here Nancye and I are hard at work...

Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast