Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How's it Hangin?

Hi all,

Recently addicted reader first time poster just saying my first hi y'all. Cept we don't really talk that way up here in Paris....Ontario that is. I guess to be correct it should read "hi eh!".

So the wife and I are getting back into camping after a few years away and in looking up what's the best equipment for us, I discovered people talking about hammocks instead of a tent. A quick post on Advrider and I found hammock forums. I've been reading up on hanging ever since.

Last week we were at MEC to pick up a few stocking stuffers and lo and behold there were a few HH's laying around. So I thought why not try one out at home. Of course it got really cold and wet outside so I had to hang it up in the garage. I hung it up on my gladiator hanging system thingy but it was pulling away from the wall in a couple of spots so I had to come up with something else to hang it on. I thought about a couple of hooks, but why not spend 10 min and over do it, I mean that's what all the tools are for after all. So instead I used tapcons for the concrete and some really long screws for the studs on the other side, put a couple of 2x6 together and cut out a notch for the straps so I can remove them at will. My wife joked that I had a real man cave now! See attached pics for final result.

I wanted to make sure that we both could hang for as long as we wanted to really make sure this is something we both wanted to do. Survey says.....we have a winner, it was love at first hang ! So I'm now eyeing a couple of WBBB's, I hope they're planning on a boxing day sale since I missed the one they just had. Our annual 2 week escape to Florida this year will be a hanging adventure. We can both hardly wait. The only real question is do we ride the bike down if the weather is decent? I suspect we'll be driving down but one can dream no?

Hammocks and tarps decided on, WBBB & a Mamajamba, I'm still trying to figure out if we should bother with the TQ & UQ for our trip or just get a couple of pads and the quilts later. Do we get just a set of UQ's or just the TQ's for now in case it does get chilly? This is about the only thing I'm not sure about. We're planning on spending most of our trip in the southern part of FL although won't be making any specific plans so we can go where all the hanging action is. As far as quilts go, I know it's like hammocks, many to pick from and everyone likes something different. At the moment I'm leaning towards underground quilts, we both like the idea of a full size quilt over only a partial.

Hanging closer to home will require something as temps do drop down a bit in the spring and fall, so we'll have to make a decision eventually on which Q's to get.

Anyhow, we're both quite excited about hanging and I'm looking forward to learning even more about whoopies, toggles, oh my.... As it is, I'm already feeling all shug-up from watching all those funny but informative videos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome... Where in FL are you going to be hangin'? You said South Florida... If down near the Everglades an UQ may be overkill. A pad and a good bag will probably do ya. As you work your way north though it could easily be below freezing in Jan - Feb.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by StringHimUp View Post
    Welcome... Where in FL are you going to be hangin'? You said South Florida... If down near the Everglades an UQ may be overkill. A pad and a good bag will probably do ya. As you work your way north though it could easily be below freezing in Jan - Feb.
    Thanks, not sure about exactly where we'll be staying. We have usually stayed in the Clearwater area but that was renting a condo. We just know we want to hit a few different places we've never been to; the Keys, Miami. We're up for any other suggestions on where to go. Not interested in the crowded attractions so much like Disney or Bush Gdns, Universal, been there and done most of them already. But we'd love to go hiking and check out some of the more natural scenes.

I did find a cool link to some Florida trails that I'll be going through more thoroughly in the next couple of months.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcome to Hf from Bama......you are now officially bitten by the bug and are one of us.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Welcome to Hf from Bama......you are now officially bitten by the bug and are one of us.
    LoL. I won't tell my wife you said that. She was hoping to avoid being bitten by anything in a hammock.

But thanks.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    riding down from Ont to FL would be an amazing trip. stopping along the way to hang every night? dream come true.

welcome to HF~!

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    i think you dove right into the deep end. welcome. you have a great start going.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    riding down from Ont to FL would be an amazing trip. stopping along the way to hang every night? dream come true.

welcome to HF~!
    Except for maybe the first night, I'm hoping to do just that. We're not booting it down like we usually do so I'm not sure how far south we'll get the first day. Hmmm, maybe I can talk her into putting the first nights hotel $ towards a good UQ instead....I'm not too worried about spending a night in some chilly climate, but I don't think the Mrs feels the same, at least not the first night. She says the garage is too cold and it was 50 at the time.

Why only a 3/4 size UQ vs full size? Wife gets cold feet when sleeping at home with a down comforter so she's thinking about staying as warm as possible in that dept. I realize there is a weight difference full to 3/4 but bringing an extra pad for the lwr legs/feet will add weight back anyway and now there's something else in the hammock to move around or have to think about having your feet directly over it, no? Teach me...

We're both enjoying your gallery btw. I think I'll be splurging on a BRG beannie I've actually been looking for a new hat and just haven't found anything I really like anywhere but those look awesome. I love my down vest but a 4oz down vest....wow!
    Last edited by L84toff; 12-21-2011 at 00:27.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Howdy from Georgia!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast