Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    How did you rig your poncho as a door? I experienced horizontal rain and strong winds this past weekend, and got some water on my hammock. First time that's happened-- normally I find a way to orient the tarp into the wind, but this storm caught me off guard. Now I am trying to decide if I want to get doors, or a new tarp, but using my poncho like this seems like a good alternative. I already carry a DriDucks poncho. Any tips?
    What I do is somewhat gear-specific, but it gives the general idea. With a DriDucks, some small line and pebbles larksheaded into the corners can take the place of the clips and grommets in mine.

Here's a short video on it, with a link for those of you on smartphones:

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    That's incredibly helpful! Thanks so much, Shug for the link, and FLRider for the video. You all are super!

I'll give this a try in the yard this week. Wonder if I could sew in some reinforced D-loops in the corners as attachment points, or if the DriDuck material is too thin. I also sometimes carry a custom sil rainskirt, so attachment points could more easily be added to that.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    A person just can't have too many tarps... When its a low chance of rain, I take the no doors tarp. When better chance of rain, the Tarp w/ doors is my choice.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    That's incredibly helpful! Thanks so much, Shug for the link, and FLRider for the video. You all are super!

I'll give this a try in the yard this week. Wonder if I could sew in some reinforced D-loops in the corners as attachment points, or if the DriDuck material is too thin. I also sometimes carry a custom sil rainskirt, so attachment points could more easily be added to that.
    Not a problem. Let us know how it goes!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not a problem. Let us know how it goes!
    I tried a similar setup to the one you showed in your video, FLRider. The DriDuck poncho fit well over the tarp, and seems like it just may do the trick if the rain goes horizontal. Now I just need another thunderstorm to test it out.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    A person just can't have too many tarps... When its a low chance of rain, I take the no doors tarp. When better chance of rain, the Tarp w/ doors is my choice.
    I do tend to agree that packing a tarp with doors may be a good idea if the forecast calls for high chance of thunderstorms. I started looking at tarps with doors, and a friend kindly offered to let me test out her superfly, so I'll see if I don't mind the extra weight too much.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I made Tyvek Grizz Beaks for my Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp and they were great for keeping the heat in during winter camping, and the wind/precipitation out. However, they were bulky.

I decided to go with a Hammock Gear 4-Season Cuben Fiber tarp. Most of the time I leave the doors open, but at least I know I can batten down the hatches if necessary.

A lot of people spend all sorts of time shaving weight in other areas, but I shaved a pound or two off my pack weight with this tarp. Bye-bye 23 oz. Funky Forest Tarp and Grizz Beaks!

The kids can use them if they ever want to join me for some winter camping.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I tried a similar setup to the one you showed in your video, FLRider. The DriDuck poncho fit well over the tarp, and seems like it just may do the trick if the rain goes horizontal. Now I just need another thunderstorm to test it out.
    Thanks! Just be cautious of the floppy material at the bottom; if you know a storm's coming in, it might be worth pebble larksheading a lead to the tree on that side with some spare cord to keep the poncho from flopping into your hammock. I have the advantage of my over-sized snake skins there, but not everyone does.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12