Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Doors or a new tarp??

Hi Folks,
    Christmas is almost here and I'm just itching for another present for myself. I've been eyeballing some 2QZQ doors for my MacCat Deluxe. However, for the price of doors on both ends I'm over halfway into a new OES 4 Season Tarp.

I do a lot more summer/mild weather camping than going out in the cold and horizontal rain (funny me, I like camping when it's nice). I've managed to weather at least one really nasty storm and stay dry so my current setup is very functional. More space sure would be nice though. Even with my MacCat I was a very popular guy in the middle of a very soggy AT trip last year. All my hiking buddies wanted to hang out and cook rather than stand in a downpour or huddle in their tents.

So, those of you with multiple tarps....do you bring a tarp suited more to the forecast or just always bring the palace "just in case"? This will help a lot as modifying my MacCat pretty much locks me into this scenario.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    funny me, I like camping when it's nice
    That part depends on what you consider nice. There's a lot to be said for cold, wet, wintry bluster.

If you do most of your camping in 3 season conditions, what about just using either a 2Q/ZQ Grizz Beak or a set of removable doors (ala Warbonnet)? That would give the protection you want along with the choice to use them or not.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I bought 2 Grizz beaks that started out covering the end on my HH Hex, and now on my MacCat Deluxe.
    Without a doubt, the only tarp I will buy in the future will have doors attached.

Last time I took out my gear; one of the doors was missing. I consider this to be an essential part of my setup, and hate that fact that I could so easily lose it!

I am eyeballing a cuban designed like the BWDD Winter Dream. It would cost a house payment, but I think it would be worth it.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I do most of my camping when it is rather mild 3 season weather as well, but I've been toying with getting another toy also. I believe I want a tarp with doors. I don't want the extra weight of doors on my sil, so it'll be a cuben tarp. I thinking of a 10'x7' cat cut tarp w/ doors out of black .51oz or .74oz cuben.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I usually bring the palace

Unless I'm doing a lot of miles, or the weather is guaranteed to be nice (it's pretty variable here in CO) then I'll downsize to a smaller tarp. But for most situations the extra 8 oz for the bigger tarp (sorry, no cuben here : ) is well worth the comfort and protection to me. If the weather is nice - I just open 'er up and enjoy the views.

Even on my smaller tarp with removable doors I take the doors all the time anyway, but thats just me. Rather have them and not need them than the other way around.

If it were me, being 1/2 way to a complete tarp, I'd buy the new tarp and keep the other as a spare/loaner.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    If you go new tarp via Warbonnet with doors you dont have to worry about loosing them, once they snap/clip on they are on...I've never taken mine off my WB tarp since using them for the first time.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm a big fan of using a poncho as a door on one end. Only very rarely have I run into truly swirling wind and rain. So, I've learned to pitch my GI poncho over one end of the tarp in bad weather (did it up in Middleburg during that monsoon over the NE FL hang a few months back). It works tolerably well.

Now, if you're looking for wind blockage during cold weather, that's an whole 'nother animal...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    OES MCD, WB SF
    Insulation
    WL T/UQ,HG 0* T/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Go for the new tarp. That way you have a summer set-up and winter set-up, or use it as a loaner. You can never have too many tarps.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I'm a big fan of using a poncho as a door on one end. Only very rarely have I run into truly swirling wind and rain.
    How did you rig your poncho as a door? I experienced horizontal rain and strong winds this past weekend, and got some water on my hammock. First time that's happened-- normally I find a way to orient the tarp into the wind, but this storm caught me off guard. Now I am trying to decide if I want to get doors, or a new tarp, but using my poncho like this seems like a good alternative. I already carry a DriDucks poncho. Any tips?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is one picture I remember.......http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...59&postcount=4
    Hope that gives some insight.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast