Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

My lunchtime hammock

I was on a 10-mile group hike for old decrepit people like me. We average 2 mph on the flats, and 1/2 mph on the hills (both up and down because we don't want to end up rolling head over heels on the way down.)

This trip was hilly and we were all tired by the time we took our 1/2 hour lunch break. While everyone else was scrambling around looking for a log to sit on or a dry spot under a tree, I hung my homemade walmart-$1 bin hammock, climbed in, and nearly fell asleep. I brought it with me because it is very light and packs into a gallon ziploc bag with ring buckles and straps.

I'm sure they were jealous.
    Last edited by nogods; 05-17-2008 at 19:31.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I bet they were.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I went on another day long hike a few weeks ago and brought my lightweight napping hammock. Once again, it worked fine for a nap. this time I was by myself and I slept for about an hour.

The only problem was the black flies. I had to keep a head net on to heep them off my face. So now I'm looking for a cheap lightweight hammock with a bug net for my hiking naps. I don't want to use my Claytor for thse day hikes.

I'm looking at a Bliss hammock with atttached bugnet for about $50 from campmor. Has anyone evdr used this hammock? Remember, I'm not sleeping in it overnight - just taking a quick trail nap.

My other thought was to keep using my homemade hammock and buy the eno bug net whiuch cost about $60 and weighs about a pound (according to the website).

Added later: I was out at the store and stopped at Gander Mountain - got the eno bug net for $40 on sale. It's a little heavier and bulkier than i was thinking. the attached stuff sack accounts for most of the weight, I'm thinking of unattaching it.
    Last edited by nogods; 06-02-2008 at 19:45.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Smee and I often pack our hammocks on top so we can trow them up for lunch a nice rest and quick pack up.... sure is nice to put a 20 minute nap into a 45 minute lunch break.... great was to rid the legs of lactates, or whatever those muscle binding build up nasties are called

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Smee and I often pack our hammocks on top so we can trow them up for lunch a nice rest and quick pack up.... sure is nice to put a 20 minute nap into a 45 minute lunch break.... great was to rid the legs of lactates, or whatever those muscle binding build up nasties are called

Pan
    the more I think about this and hear from others the more I'm convinced that this could be the next big thing in hiking and backpacking. They'll have to change the "ten essentials" to the "eleven essentials" to include a mid-hike nap.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    [QUOTE=nogods;65117]II'm looking at a Bliss hammock with atttached bugnet for about $50 from campmor. Has anyone evdr used this hammock? Remember, I'm not sleeping in it overnight - just taking a quick trail nap.

I have a Bliss with attached bugnet and love that hammock. Very comfortable. I just don't like a permanently attached net, but it sounds perfect for lunch time hanging!

I bought and returned the ENO bug net. I felt it was a little too much.

Nest bought fabric and made a net to just drap over his ridgeline and put omnii tape on the ends to close it up. Very inexpensive and it's working great for him during his hike.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    nogods,

Two quick bug net fix alternatives.

1. Campmor sells a bug net, twin bed sized for around $10 last time I looked. Add a ridge line and just throw it over.

2. Just buy some netting from the S bin and hem the edges (or not) again, throw it over the ridge line.

My ridge line is some nondescript line I had in stock. It's not really structural. Who cares??

HTH

Tom

Images
    [QUOTE=Lost;65319]
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    II'm looking at a Bliss hammock with atttached bugnet for about $50 from campmor. Has anyone evdr used this hammock? Remember, I'm not sleeping in it overnight - just taking a quick trail nap.

I have a Bliss with attached bugnet and love that hammock. Very comfortable. I just don't like a permanently attached net, but it sounds perfect for lunch time hanging!

I bought and returned the ENO bug net. I felt it was a little too much.

Nest bought fabric and made a net to just drap over his ridgeline and put omnii tape on the ends to close it up. Very inexpensive and it's working great for him during his hike.

You don't have a bug net on your hammock. You "defaced" it on an earlier campout remember?

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...age.php?i=1963
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Okay - Cerberus aka Nest.

You're supposed to be hiking. And if you're where you can you a computer, you should be in cell phone range so you can call your Mama!

But he's right - I did "deface" the net on my Hammock Bliss. But hey - iit held!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Mid-hike nap? I'm in!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast