Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

New guy with a question ridgelines that has already probably been beat to death

So I appoligize up front because I am sure this has already been covered, I have searched for a couple hours with no luck.

#1 What is the purpose of a adjustable structual ridgeline? I plan on making a whoopie just to try it out (not sure what size I need) but wanted to hear from the more experianced folks.

#2 are there any good links you can pass my way on how to properly secure one to my hammock?

Just for info I am hanging in a no seum hammock and plan on running webbing straps around the tree then coming down from a marlin spike hitch to whoopies at both ends secured to my hammock. I am not sure yet if the built in bug net will affect my capability of running a ridge line but im hoping I can figure a way around it if it does.

Thanks in advance for any info or links you can pass my way that can help me better understand or help me with what im trying to find out.

Josh

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Adjustable structural ridge line gives you the ability to change the sag of a hammock to suit your personal taste. The purpose of the ridgeline is to have the same sag every time you hang the hammock. As far as connecting it, my fixed length ridgelines have a loop (eye) on each end that the suspension passes through where it wraps around the gathered ends. You could do the same with an adjustable one.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Adjustable structural ridge line gives you the ability to change the sag of a hammock to suit your personal taste. The purpose of the ridgeline is to have the same sag every time you hang the hammock. As far as connecting it, my fixed length ridgelines have a loop (eye) on each end that the suspension passes through where it wraps around the gathered ends. You could do the same with an adjustable one.
    Thanks Scotty II still am not sure how the sag changes the hammock? The first time I set my hammock up I tried to get it as flat as possible because I assumed it would help to keep me laying flatter in the hammock. Was I wrong in assumeing this? Thanks again for the info!

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Tillamook View Post
    Thanks Scotty II still am not sure how the sag changes the hammock? The first time I set my hammock up I tried to get it as flat as possible because I assumed it would help to keep me laying flatter in the hammock. Was I wrong in assumeing this? Thanks again for the info!

Josh
    Yeah, most poeple try to lay at an angle (asym or diagonal).. this creates a flat pocket of fabric to lay on, like an off-center taco and you're the meat in the bottom.. that's what you should be shooting for. The tighter the hammock the hrder this is to do and the more stress you're putting on your fabric and suspension. Loosey Goosey baby.

So the generally accepted lay angle is in the ballpark of 30*(degrees=*) and keeping a structural ridgeline allows you to not have to worry so much about where you're hanging your suspension and finetuning it, because once in the ballpark your ridgeline finetunes it. You should have just enough play in your ridgeline to straighten it up and down pressing up with your thumb and down with your finger.. if you can't it's prob too tight and too lose and it's not doing anything.

Hope this helps buddy

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Another question I have is I just ordered some 7/64 amsteel and i think its 8 thread? is this ok or should I have got the 12? thanks

Josh

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks a bunch slo it sure does I will experament with it once I get it all setup Thanks

Josh

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    the "sweet spot" length of SRL is somewhere between 80-85% of the total hammock length.
    83% is probably the most common.
    an adjustable SRL allows you to change the length to suit your person.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    7/64" is fine for the suspension. If you are using this for the ridgeline, it will work but it is more than you need. If you don't care about the extra weight of the 7/64", then use it.

As for the adjustable ridgeline, I use them so I can test different sags. Once I get the sag that I like the most, I change it out to a fixed ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5oz 2 Layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY IX 2 Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but Flatline thanks for the %. Helped me in my quest for matching the night owl with a winter tarp. I was worried about the coverage RL vs hammock RL.

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Born old your not highjacking, I agree great info flatline!

Sweetlou Thanks for the info I was just curious about the strand count and if it mattered. Thanks again !

Josh

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast