Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    We had a great night, the wind was up pretty good through the next morning with short periods of total calm. Sometimes it came up so hard it sounded like a train passing. We were at H camp which is on top of a ridge enjoying a great fire during one of the calm moments when what sounded like a really large tree snapped off a couple hundred yards away and seem to take the longest time crashing to a stop. An awkward silence followed.

Anyway the cubens all stood the test unscathed and a good time was had by all.

Happy New Year!

David

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Sad I missed this one.

Can't wait to see the OHangers again in 3 weeks though.

Me too, my kind of weather. Woke up to snow here in cbus, had some small hail last night. Great gear testing weather for sure. Hope you all stayed warm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You fellas were both missed.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL, 1.1SL traveler
    Tarp
    Edgespin,HGcubenPL
    Insulation
    HG Custom's x10
    Suspension
    Slings
    Did you and hammike make it out allright? Temp really dropped huh
    Ultralite Gear and Apparel

Lukesultralite.com

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Glad to hear you all had a good time and everything was ok.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Finally gettin around to a little report here. I hit the trail from the trailhead saturday about 2:30ish. About ten minutes into my hike I slipped steppin over a small stream and both my feet completely submerged for like 2 seconds and I could feel the water flowin in. Bad start but I didn't let it get me too down. There are some nice rock formations and views on this trail. It ended up being a longer hike than I anticipated to camp H. I got to the site right at dusk and was soaked with sweat beacause I started pushin hard on the last leg to get there before dark. I picked myself a couple of trees and got setup. I went back to a continuous ridgeline on my tarp and have been usin my side tieouts on my superfly which makes for a really roomy space. There wasn't a soul in site so I stripped down and got some dry clothes on and felt alot better. I walked around a bit checkin out some other spots and collected enough downfall for a little fire. The intitial impression was that the area was pretty well picked over but when daylight hit the next day I found plenty. Anyways after gettin the fire goin I had some coleman cheesy tomatoe pasta(very nice). I brought out my 24oz GSI Kettle and really liked that I could heat up enough water for food, drink and the kettle made it easy to pour. My stove on the other hand didn't perform well and had to be nursed to keep goin because the kettle sucked the heat right out of it. It's an aluminum bottle rolled into itself with side jets. I've since made a fancy feast and it works well with the kettle.
    I hit the sack about 11 and it was a mild night with a low of about 32. I slept warm in my WL liteowl w/ 20deg Incubator and 0deg Burrow. I was wearin standard longjohns, a long sleeve Tshirt, 1 pair of synthetic/wool socks, and my patagonia puff pullover, and toboggan.

The next mornin I had bfast, took a walk to the pit latrine that is about 100 yards from the site, and spent the rest of the day collectin firewood, knappin, and surveyin the area. At one point early afternoon I had one side of my tarp flipped over and was layin in my hammock listenin to my ipod in the sun when it grew dark and cloudy real quick. I had left my stakes in the ground so it was a cinch to get back into covered mode. Just as I got my lines back on the stakes it downpoured for about 15 minutes. After that the wind got progressively worse and scary at times. Exup and Luke showed up about 3:30 and Bannerstone followed about an hour later. We spent the evening around a nice campfire and had plenty of good talk. As the others have said we had a nervous moment when we heard a very large tree fall not too far away. It sounded like gun shots at first then gave way to the sound of breaking limbs and a large thud. We all hit the sack about midnight to snow and wind. That night I had a hard time stayin warm. I had on two sets of longjohns(2 bottom 1 top), longsleave tshirt, patagonia puff pullover, nike acg pullover, two pairs of socks, and my toboggan. I used a bungee over the hammock ridgeline to hold the UQ up and might have had it too tight and was compressin some down. Anyways it got down to 27deg inside my tarp. The next morning was a cold one and took alot to get out of the hammock. We had a small fire, coffee, and packed up for the hike out. I ended up slowin down alot on the way out and enjoyin the snowy views and got some trail video. Here are some pics of the campsite and some of the hike in. I'd definately recommend the spot for another hang. There is a larger site a short walk down the hill from the one we stayed at with more trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HamMike; 01-07-2012 at 10:45. Reason: spelling
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Here is a short video of Camp H.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Thanks for posting Mike, the rock formations really were something and even more beautiful on the way out with all that snow. I agree with this site for another get together for those who don't mind puttin in a few miles, I think the shortest route might have been about 5 mi. from the parking area at the furnace. I was really surprised that there is a park stocked underground water cistern up at H camp, so cool to be up on a secluded ridge at a primitive site in freezing conditions to turn a valve and have running water, plus a privy. Definately good for groups.

I was pretty worried about sleeping warm in those high winds but had a unique set on my tarp with the windward side edge pulled down against a fairly large downed log which blocked a great deal of wind. What really made it for me was doubling up my base layer with a pair of fleece lined cycling tights and my new Sierra down mocs. Together they added a fair bit of pack weight and space but I was glad to get to test out some things for the Ohang later in January.

Oh and Mike should get honorable mention for collecting such a gigantic pile of firewood. The rest of us arrived so late we barely got our rigs set before dark. Then we stayed up so late we burned nearly every stick. Thanks Mike, you saved us on that one.

David

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Nice pictures! Too far in for me to do while hauling all our stuff...but with a goat, no problem

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123