Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thank you all for the great info!!! I really appretiate you taking the time to write up the info!!! Thanks!

Shug you are one funny sun gun I love the juggling bit and the shout out ill have to check him out. And then after you act like a crazy guy you throw in a picture of your beautiful wife and daughter I assume just to show us all funny crazy guys get pretty women too lol Thanks for all your videos they are very informative and entertaining

Josh

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    the wife and I have still this year, been using our 15 degree and 30 degree BA bags when its cold as we haven't purchased all the quilts we want. Even with the quilts, still keeping the down bags as you just never know and the equipment is there for the using if you need it. Nice to have just in case I ever do go above the tree line of which I am sure I will again. And I love camping as high as I can get. Bags are easy to use as a top quilt.

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    the wife and I have still this year, been using our 15 degree and 30 degree BA bags when its cold as we haven't purchased all the quilts we want. Even with the quilts, still keeping the down bags as you just never know and the equipment is there for the using if you need it. Nice to have just in case I ever do go above the tree line of which I am sure I will again. And I love camping as high as I can get. Bags are easy to use as a top quilt.
    Thanks cevans

Josh

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I have a 20 degree synthetic BA that I use. The BA's have a pad sleeve instead of insulation on the bottom, so it's essentially a top quilt with attached pad sleeve. I have no intention of switching to top or bottom quilt at this time for several reasons... might as well use what I have (I'm perfectly content with it, it's effecient and no need to spend money when it is not neccesary). I too have a 3/4 pad but I have so far just put my extra clothing at my feet to keep my feet warm. As much as I would love to get all into the fluffy warmth of down I don't forsee myself going down that path anytime in the near future.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    I have a 20 degree synthetic BA that I use. The BA's have a pad sleeve instead of insulation on the bottom, so it's essentially a top quilt with attached pad sleeve. I have no intention of switching to top or bottom quilt at this time for several reasons... might as well use what I have (I'm perfectly content with it, it's effecient and no need to spend money when it is not neccesary). I too have a 3/4 pad but I have so far just put my extra clothing at my feet to keep my feet warm. As much as I would love to get all into the fluffy warmth of down I don't forsee myself going down that path anytime in the near future.

Sunny
    Thanks for the reply sunny

Josh

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I have been using a mummy style sleeping bag for a while now in my hammocks. Here's what I have found. They are a real pain to get into once in the hammock. This last trip I decided I would change up my routine, and I basically got into the bag standing up, and then got in the hammock. It made it much easier and less hassle. You need to put down a tarp or something to stand on so you don't get your bag wet. I also tossed my jacket over the hammock (no bug net) and then once I was in the hammock and comfy I would pull the jacket down to cover my head where the opening was in the bag. While I am not claustrophobic I did have a moment when I woke up with the urge to use the restroom, and couldn't see anything. Once I woke up and found the zipper I was fine, but being encased in a bag and having your head partially covered can cause anyone to panic.

I also used some of those hand warming packs they sell everywhere now for the first time. I found that if you placed one on your neck right it really helped warm me up it seemed. It could be just an illusion because of the amount of heat vs. what it really takes to heat your body, but I slept pretty good with it. I would wake up occasionally and switch it to the other side of my neck.

Back to mummy bags, I am actually going to try and find a rectangular bag because I think the mummy bag is just a little too restrictive for my movement. I would like to spread my legs out now and then, and you just can't do that in a mummy bag. I was going to place a couple of those warmers in my socks, and once in the bag, I just couldn't get my arms down there to do it.

Maybe try renting a few different style bags from REI and giving them a whirl before you make your decision, and shell out a lot of cash.

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    I have been using a mummy style sleeping bag for a while now in my hammocks. Here's what I have found. They are a real pain to get into once in the hammock. This last trip I decided I would change up my routine, and I basically got into the bag standing up, and then got in the hammock. It made it much easier and less hassle. You need to put down a tarp or something to stand on so you don't get your bag wet. I also tossed my jacket over the hammock (no bug net) and then once I was in the hammock and comfy I would pull the jacket down to cover my head where the opening was in the bag. While I am not claustrophobic I did have a moment when I woke up with the urge to use the restroom, and couldn't see anything. Once I woke up and found the zipper I was fine, but being encased in a bag and having your head partially covered can cause anyone to panic.

I also used some of those hand warming packs they sell everywhere now for the first time. I found that if you placed one on your neck right it really helped warm me up it seemed. It could be just an illusion because of the amount of heat vs. what it really takes to heat your body, but I slept pretty good with it. I would wake up occasionally and switch it to the other side of my neck.

Back to mummy bags, I am actually going to try and find a rectangular bag because I think the mummy bag is just a little too restrictive for my movement. I would like to spread my legs out now and then, and you just can't do that in a mummy bag. I was going to place a couple of those warmers in my socks, and once in the bag, I just couldn't get my arms down there to do it.

Maybe try renting a few different style bags from REI and giving them a whirl before you make your decision, and shell out a lot of cash.

Thanks fig I think I actually really like my mummy bag and it has always kept me toasty! Plus its what I have and it seems to work ok but I wont know for sure till i get out and try it. Thanks again for all the replys!

Josh

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.5'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, cheap bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here ya' go.....it does work)))))))
    Shug

I have a man-crush on Shug.

I also have a mummy bag that's rated for 0* and I'm planning on using it when its really cold as a TQ. Otherwise, my 30* cheapy bag, DIY UQ and pad are working pretty well for me in the freezing temp range.

Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by friartuck View Post
    I have a man-crush on Shug.

I also have a mummy bag that's rated for 0* and I'm planning on using it when its really cold as a TQ. Otherwise, my 30* cheapy bag, DIY UQ and pad are working pretty well for me in the freezing temp range.
    Thanks for the reply, the man crush thing not so sure most of his gear I fancy though

Josh

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.5'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, cheap bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    What's not to have a man-crush about Shug? He can sing, he can juggle, he can ride a unicycle and he' knows a thing or two abut hammocking. I'm thinking about leaving my wife for him.

(It should be noted that Friar Tuck is 100% heterosexual and loves his wife dearly. The preceding posts are to be considered jokes and jokes only. No relationship or proposal therein is made or should be implied.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast