Well, it's ugly but...

I just finished my first DIY. I made a stuffsack that I will use as my foodsack. It proves to me that this stuff is harder than it looks. I am sure that all of my friends will have new stuffsacks before I tackle anything any harder. Anyway...I am proud for my first project.

Well, let's see it. Hope i get one.

Images

Thumbs up

Way to go! Finishing the project is a major accomplishment, IMO, when you are just starting out. Don't sweat the details until you have more experience!

I never thought I could sew anything until I just gave it a try. You had mentioned that you were not quite feeling confident in your abilities, yet. Have you had any difficulties with your machine, or the sewing process that we could help you with?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    buy a 12 pack of 1000 pins and use them all on every project. Just remember to take them out as you sew over them.

When running a long seam it is normal to watch the needle. Try to do the same as driving.. Line up the edge of the fabric with something on the machine either in front of the needle or behind it and use that as a sight guide. That will give you a better shot at getting a proper seam. A lot of the success of your seams will result from the precision of your cutting. The smoother and more accurate your cutting the easier it is to get a good seam allowance.

In many cases my DIY stuff looks like it was sewn by some one with palsy. Two reasons for that... First of all I have the shakes. Secondly... I am not trying to sell the stuff or impress anyone. I really don't care if it looks homemade. It is homemade. It's the old eggshell in the omelet routine for me. At least I know it was made with real eggs. At least people will believe me when I say "I made that."

Beyond that... practice is the key. I have sewn clothes for my wife on occasion. I can do a halfway decent job if I take my time. But here is the key from my way of thinking.. perfectionism is deadly. There is as much learned skill as inate ability involved in sewing. Either one can get you by. But those people whose stuff we gasp over usually have both.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I had a big discussion last week about craftsmanship.

In my opinion, first comes function and then comes appearance.

The other guy is a tradesman and felt if it didn't look perfect it was crap.

We were arguing about the settler work in the cabins that are restored for exhibition in the mountains.

I felt that the "git 'er done" approach was appropriate when winter was coming and you needed a roof, walls and a fireplace NOW.

Keep on sewing and ignore the snide remarks.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Images
    I have to say, I disagree. Function is superior to appearance, but appearance can affect function. Making mistakes can put holes in fabric where you don't want them and decrease strength or weather resistance. If the stitch tension is set incorrectly, the stitches can be too loose. Are the two fabrics held together? Sure. But even though it is functional, it can quickly become unfunctional with a snag or a heavy load applied to it.

Really the only reason you should have mistakes is because you were going too fast (this is what I always do) or you didn't practice using a scrap of materials and the thread and needle you will be using beforehand to get a feel for how to guide the fabric through the machine. If your settings are correct and you go slow, there is no reason after a bit of experience your gear shouldn't be both functional and look good. They go hand in hand, and that is why we care about appearance: it indicates that the seamster was trying to make something that will last.

The advice about sewing like you are driving is spot on, though! Really a great way to put it, Rev.

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    I had a big discussion last week about craftsmanship.

In my opinion, first comes function and then comes appearance.

The other guy is a tradesman and felt if it didn't look perfect it was crap.

We were arguing about the settler work in the cabins that are restored for exhibition in the mountains.

I felt that the "git 'er done" approach was appropriate when winter was coming and you needed a roof, walls and a fireplace NOW.

Keep on sewing and ignore the snide remarks.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom
    As a plumber, I can relate to what the guy was saying. Even though a lot of my work is hiding in the walls I want to do a good looking job. I know, it holds water and crap! How can you make that look good? Maybe I'm just anal that way. Sometimes with good looking work comes good tips.

That said, I'll be wishy washy here and say sometimes the things I make for myself are look exactly going to win any prizes for looks but they serve their purpose.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    appearance can affect function. I totally agree with that. Let me give you an example of what I mean. My wife is a professional seamstress. She can sew a straight seam within 1 mm tolerance. My seams will sometimes take up the seam allowance. I make my own gear, in part because it is mine. She has her own projects and if I want her to work on mine then it either needs to be a real quick easy job, or I need to wait until she gets to it. I made a set of DIY skins for my Hennessey. The long seam is wavy and bunchy. But you know what.... by the time I get them on the hammock, no one can tell if the seam is wavy and bunchy or if the hammock is bunchy. So why do I sweat the wavy seams.

Don't get me wrong... I do take pride in the work I do. But by the same token, I am not a perfectionist and I know my limits. But if somebody wants to point out the wavy seams.... let 'em deal with the ulcer. It's not worth my stomach lining.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I also just finished my first DIY. Also a sack, and also not going to win any prizes. (But it will be holding my materials for future projects till it falls apart!)

I then jumped ahead (like I shouldn’t have) and made a couple of short cinch buckle straps. I’ve had my thread break several times, and my ‘box stitch’ didn’t exactly look great either. I don’t know that I’d trust them with my weight, but I wanted to give it a try. I’m sure with practice will come proficiency.

I think skins for my ‘Neo’ tarp should be relatively easy since I don’t really care at all how they look, only that they work. Tarps and DIY hammocks will have to wait until I’m more proficient.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts