WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

need help with tie outs

Up to this point I have not used the tie outs on my tarp (HG Cuben Standard)
    it's raining today and I'm out experimenting with putting it up in the rain and keeping my gear dry It's obvious to me that the pull outs will be a necessity especially if it's windy. My question is what's your favored method for affixing tie outs? I'm trying to go as light as I can. I've seen the trekking pole method but it makes me a little nervous (my luck I'd end up with a hole in my cuben) so I think I'd rather side step that. Is it best to affix the bungee from d-ring to d-ring then add a fixed line to that or vise versa. If there's a video on this feel free to point me in that direction.

Thanks!
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    These may help I hope......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Click HERE for details on my tie outs. I plan on using the same method when I finally order a cuben from Adam.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I position my hiking pole upside down about two feet from the side of the tarp and in the midle of the side tieout points. I pull the lines to the pole, wrap them each 2 times in the opposite direction of one another and stake them out on the same stake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I obviously don't know how to be clear when I post Mike did pick up on the fact that I was talking about the side pull outs But, the poles make me nervous with cuben
    @Shane that's really awesome, would you use the same configuration for side pullouts?
    @Shug, thanks for the re-visit to the tarp rap, it's been a while since I watched them
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    @Shane that's really awesome, would you use the same configuration for side pullouts?
    I use this method on my side panel pull outs and my corner pull outs on both of my Spinn tarps. Use 12' total lengths for side panel pulls.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Mike did pick up on the fact that I was talking about the side pull outs But, the poles make me nervous with cuben
    I don't have those "side" pull outs on my tarp but, way back when I was still using a tarp/tent, it had side pull outs. In the picture that Mike posted, that's the exact way that I would stake them out. Sometimes I'd use my hiking pole where in the picture Mike used what looks like a wooden dowel. Sometimes I was able to find a stick that would work and sometimes a well positioned tree could be used. If you'll notice... the pole, stick, tree or hiking pole does not come into contact with the tarp.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Hey Leigh, Here are the Pic's I was talking about. The pull outs are 2' apart, I use 4' 1/8shock cord and tie cord in middle of that... If your pull outs are far apart, U might want to attach 1 foot 1/8" shock cord to each pull out... JMO... many ways to do this.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls

Working up a system to test this weekend.

clb,

Here is part of a setup idea I've been working up for my HG cuben this week, I'll take it out Sunday with some other tarp accessories for testing. You'll see a piece of zing-it made into a Y shaped line with loops & brummels. That doubles as a same side tie back for my doors or on the pull outs with a shock cord tensioner. I really like those micro sized s-biners to make it all change around easily. Also I stumbled into kind of a neat idea to finish off looped ends on shockcords. I did a crimped ferrule using those little copper do-dads that electricians bind ground wire with. I made the shock cord in the pic 46" long thinking of 3 possible setups; first to tension the pull out as you see in the pic, second as a same side door tie back and lastly as an adjustable door line (notice the trapped line lock.)

The basic concepts for my system came from some things I saw a couple weekends back on Hammike's tarp and from Watermonkey Winter Palace blog video. And it goes without saying that I had to have pulled a few ideas from Shug's videos as well.

Anyway, I'll give the whole bag of clips, lines, cords, tensioners, and do-dads (the sum of which likely out weigh my tarp) a test over the weekend and report back with what worked and what didn't make the cut.

Take care,

David

• + New Posts