Warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    StormCrowIncubator
    Suspension
    DIY Strap

27 degrees and CBS???

Okay so I finaly got a chance to use my storm crow custom winter UQ AND TQ both with 3 extra onces of down, a Alps zero degree down bag and themal under wear tops and bottoms and ended up with a case of CBS and can't figure out why. The UQ was snug against my back side with no air gaps and the head and foot end tight to the hammock, I also had a nice tarp with the ends closed down. The rest of my body was warm but not as hot as I thought it'd be. I slid a hand warmer between my thighs mid way through the night and the CBS went away for a few hours. Am I doing something wrong, do I need a pad at below freezing? I had givin my rig a air math guesstimation rating of atleast zero degree comfort but a little concerned to go out again in three weeks to a location I know will be single digets hints advice?

Oh the hammock was an eno double nest deluxe couldn't fit my clark nx-250 in my new pack got a REI 85xt to try and go UL... My load out dropped to 53.6lbs I think I did something wrong there but I honesty took all the gear out I could... I think going dehydrated food will drop a few more pounds, either off of me or off my pack maybe both
    I LIVE FOR THE DAY AFTER TWO DAYS BEFORE TOMORROW.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It's a sure bet with that setup that you've got a gap somewhere. Get a friend to help you find it while you're laying in the hammock. Keep at it, once you get the UQ dialed in you'll be fine and you really don't need that Alps bag. I find Stormcrows gear is good for temps colder than the rating.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Was there someone to check out the uq while you where in it? Makes a world of difference. May have had a small air gap that caused it.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    StormCrowIncubator
    Suspension
    DIY Strap
    It was a solo hike, no one I hike with hasgear that can get them below 40, my father it threatening DIY a winter UQ and a few friends "if you can call a ground dweller that" say they're gonna try and gear up for colder hikes.I willhaveto try settingup at home and. See ifsomeone can spot the air gap, and yes I thought the alps bag. was over kill butafter the cbs am extremely happy I brought it... I was amussed that there was about 16 inches of puffy down above me in the hammock I couldn't see anything bellow my neck except my TQ. Thanks I'll look for air gaps.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    when all else fails cinch cinch cinch. The gear your describing should take you to the artic and back. If you can't get an extra pair of eyes just cinch the living heck out of the end channels and or move the quilt a few inches in either direction to find where you get the best seal. You'll be able to feel the difference rather quickly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    StormCrowIncubator
    Suspension
    DIY Strap
    I've always been a warm sleeper and the gearwas rated for well below what I was at I'm also thinking it may have been the eno, the gap Ihadit set up was only about 10 foot tree to tree and the hang was... not as comfortable as I'm used to, the hammock... creassed? In the middle by my calves so I cinched the top tight but. Probly should have gone tighter. I'm thinking of ordering a black bird double layer so I can throw a thin pad under me and realy get to some low temps. And maybe try the water bottle trick.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I know air gaps are a likely culprit, but if you cinch it up too tight dont you run the risk of compressing the down? I had my 0* incubator out yesterday at 25* with nothing but long underwear on and I was toasty warm.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Air gaps might not have been easily visible. I've had the edges of the UQ all cinched up and tight, but trapped a bubble of cold air between my butt and the UQ. I solved that by adding some extra bungie-cord to the grograin loops on the UQ, then stringing it over my ridgeline for lift. (this is on a Blackbird where I keep my ridgeline pretty tight)

My UQ has a couple OZ of extra 900 fill, and it simply sags in the middle causing that cold air bubble.

On my Switchback hammock, the hammock has grosgrain loops that almost match up with the grosgrain loops on the UQ, so I just use #0 size plastic S-biners to clip the UQ to the hammock (as well as the normal suspension). Clipping the UQ on pulls it a bit tight, but works well to keep any air bubbles from getting under me.

I hope that helps some. I might setup my winter hammock gear on the deck and sleep outside tonight in prep for a three(!) winter hangs I have coming in January. I'll take some photos if that helps. (I have a new "outdoor" camera I need to test!)
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sounds to me like you had too much extraneous crap in the hamock with you, a simple case of overkill gone wrong. With a 0* rated UQ and TQ you should have been plenty toasty at 27*, even if you were a cold sleeper. Try it with just the TQ and UQ and any clothing you would normally wear. Don't forget a nice warm hat.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lowclass View Post
    what I was at I'm also thinking it may have been the eno, the gap Ihadit set up was only about 10 foot tree to tree and the hang was...
    That hammock is 9'10" long. If you only had ten feet between the trees and did anything but nail the hammock body to the trees, you probably had too much sag to make the UQ wrap correctly under the hammock. If the hammock has enough distance between trees, the UQ should be ably to be suspended snug enough to resolve about all of the other issues you mentioned. Combine only having ten feet between trees with the DoubleNest being 6'8" wide, and it would be nearly impossible to get a good fit with any UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast