Hello all. I finally got around (now that the weather is warming up) to making my first hammock based off of headchange4u' DIY HH design. I have the body of the hammock completed and have sewn on the zippers. The only thing left really is to sew on the side asymmetrical tie-out loops, attach a ridgeline, and finish the covers (bugnet, etc.). I have run into a few problems though.

The first isn't too much of a biggie, I think the rope is to blame. I'll hang the hammock about 5 feet high and when I get into the hammock I'll sink to the ground. I then have to re-tighten the ropes several times, even raising the hang until about 6 feet off the ground before I can get in without touching the ground. My only guess is the rope must be too stretchy as there is little or no slipping of the knots going on. It really doesn't feel stretchy at all though, surely not enough to make the hammock hang so low. The rope is (I think) polyester with a 1000 lb test strength, and about 1/2 cm in diameter.

The real problem that I am faced with is how the hammock lays when I am in it. No matter how I lay, on an angle or straight, I am tacoed in. The sides of the hammock come up and over me and squeeze me as if I'm in a cocoon. My body feels like is rolled up like how one rolls their tongue. I'm not sure what is causing it or how to fix it. I think if I attached the tie-outs that would help some, but not much as I tried to push out on the edges and it didn't help much. I refolded and whipped the ends of the hammock several times but the problem persists. I think the root of the problem may actually be in the size of the fabric used for the hammock. I used a 10' by 60" wide bolt of polyester for the hammock body. I've read that most people make theirs about 60" wide though so I'm not sure.

Should I continue to experiment with different rolls and folds on the ends? Should I go ahead and see if adding the side tie-outs solves the problem? Would adding in the ridgeline help? The following are some pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. They were taken using a camera phone so the quality may not be the best.

Outside looking in...

Inside view looking down the length of the hammock...

Hammock hanging about 4 feet off the ground. When I lay inside I am only about 1 inch from the ground.