Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: morning pains

Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    I haven't had horrible bladder pains but i do find i have to go a lot more often when sleeping in a hammock in colder weather. The other night it was 4-times I thought this is crazy then my buddy who slept the first night in his hammock told me he had to go 7-times. We were only drinking water & hot cocoa. I thought it was due to body position but like someone mentioned it is probably due to the coldness/temperature.
    I think that's why I go more when I camp.. I find that if I'm toasty warm and comfortable I can sleep all night, if not I wake up then have to pee.

Isn't Billybob a surgeon? Seem to remember him having to go to some other town on a medical mission. Am I wrong Billbo?

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I was just starting to get into hammocks, we had a campout with the scouts. I was unsure whether I would have somewhere to hang, so I stuck with tradition and sleep in one of the canvas t**ts on a cot. I had to get up about 5 times that night and go. Never before had this happened. Most times I can get up once, at most. Then I'm good for the night. I have had it happen a few times since. Not getting up 5 times, but a few anyway. And noticed that it only happens when camping and it's cold out.

Hope you get it figured out.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I'll be back in a couple of minutes... just reading this makes me want to go.....
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I think that's why I go more when I camp.. I find that if I'm toasty warm and comfortable I can sleep all night, if not I wake up then have to pee.

Isn't Billybob a surgeon? Seem to remember him having to go to some other town on a medical mission. Am I wrong Billbo?
    No, I just spend my day watching surgeons ( including urologists etc) work. I provide the oblivion of general or deep sedation and or "comfortably numb" of the epidurals or spinal. IOW, anesthesia. Put 'em to sleep. Then more importantly, keep 'em alive and wake 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I was just starting to get into hammocks, we had a campout with the scouts. I was unsure whether I would have somewhere to hang, so I stuck with tradition and sleep in one of the canvas t**ts on a cot. I had to get up about 5 times that night and go. Never before had this happened. Most times I can get up once, at most. Then I'm good for the night. I have had it happen a few times since. Not getting up 5 times, but a few anyway. And noticed that it only happens when camping and it's cold out.

Hope you get it figured out.
    The cold is no doubt a major factor, IMO and based on my experience. I'm about to be 63, but when I was a 35 year old whippersnapper, I found out about this relationship. Though it took many years to know for sure there was a def relationship. I was on a NOLS course in WY, and on June 27 we hiked all day and did our first Tyrolean Traverse river crossing during a storm with over a foot of blowing snow followed by 24F. Long story short, I shivered all night. The worst part of it was having to get up 4 or 5 times, exit the tarp I shared with 2 others and pee. By the 3rd time or so my boots were frozen solid and I could only get my toes in good. Anyway, I was cols and I was peeing a lot. Normal would have been zero to one time, not 5. I think even an un-noticeable amount of cold = peeing more.

How is this relevant to the OP? jons4real, are you sleeping inside? Are you using something to keep your back warm even inside? If outside, are you staying plenty warm including your back/kidney area?

But, jons4real is having bad bladder pain, not just having to go "right now". So a Doc visit might well be a good idea. But, if it has never happened except in a hammock? And if cold causes a great increase in urine output, and you are sleeping way deep, that bladder could be quite distended after 8 hrs. The cure ( so far at least) is avoiding the hammock, but of course you don't want that. The cure might be simply warming up in the hammock or even just warming up the kidney area. I wouldn't wait too long before having a doc check you out. But me personally, I'd make sure it is not hammock induced cold ( or whatever hammock caused problem) causing the problem before subjecting myself to medical expense and possibly invasive testing. It would be a shame to do all that if it was indeed just related to being very slightly cold in a hammock. Then again, if it continues don't wait forever to seek medical help.

Any one else here had actual bladder area pain from having to go real bad, or after sleeping in a hammock or being cold camping?

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I have been sleeping inside. Although my basement is probably in the 50's I've been trying different ways to keep warm both times it happened I was on top of a normal bedroom quilt with a 50 degree bag on top. If I don't sleep on something I freeze in my basement. As far as the pain goes its more like drinking a case of anything and waiting as long as you can to relieve your self. As soon as I go to the bathroom I find immediate relief .
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The cautious approach is to see a doctor. This may be a symptom of a problem developing. Whatever the hammock difference is, you don't want this to get worse. The suggestions about temperature are good, but decide how long to try an insulator pad before acting on this.

I am not a doctor. I will not charge you for advice. Don't sue me.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Images
    I usually have to get out of the hammock and water the trees 3-4 times a night.
    I always though it was because I had been hiking and drinking 4-5 times the normal amount of water I do at home.
    I have experienced bladder pain if I ignore the urge and go back to sleep.
    Now I just get out of the hammock at the first sign.

Oh, This happens year round for me. Typical summer nite in the Mtns is 45F and winter is 20F. Hung as low as -19F. No additional bathroom breaks were required.
    hth

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Happens to me nearly everytime. Even after I pee the pain will stay a bit. I think its a multitude of things with me. I don't drink nearly enough water on the trail so I doubt its that, but physical activity seems to rise the need to urinate for me. I think the cold plays a role and possibly an underlying nervousness I feel like I've got over while being in the wilderness.

I drink far more water at home and never have to wake up and go.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have had this twice also, I have it when its really cold outside, I don't have an under quilt of any sorts and its only happened on the colder trips, but both times I was either by a large river or the ocean, so it might have been that also

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I don't have bladder "pain" though when I sleep outdoors in a hammock I definitely wake up at some point to pee. Warm and comfortable in my bed, I can go all night without the need to befriend a baby tree...

When sleeping on the ground in one of those nylon dome thingies, I don't get up to pee, but I don't get much sleep either...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast