DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I find that a Brazilian needs only about 15' when hung from the rafters but a camping hammock needs about 21'. At 15' the suspension angle is too steep for them.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I find that a Brazilian needs only about 15' when hung from the rafters but a camping hammock needs about 21'. At 15' the suspension angle is too steep for them.
    I agree with this. You need to maintain a 30* angle in the hammock suspension with the hammock at the height you want.

You can put a couple of nails in the joist and hang a rope between them (like a hammock) to find the distance that works for your situation.

Hammock
    Just got the ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Working on it
    Suspension
    DYI

more basement hanging

I screwed a 2' 2x4 to my wall studs and screwed a hook to it in the upper end of the 2x4. All the weight pulls down and pushes on the 2x4. seams to work well so far.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Set up a test hang spot in my basement last night, now I can hang in the house which makes me a happy guy lol

All I did was drill a 7/16 hole in the center of the rafter, about 21 feet apart and use tree straps I made to hug the rafter. Attach a marlin spike hitch and all set to hang!

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I drilled holes in my joists. I hung parallel to the joist so I used the same joist for both attachment points. I just drilled a half inch hole which I have used for webbing loops as well as amsteel loops.
    +1 I did the same thing. Started out with I bolted but then switched it up. I measured out 15 then looked for the best place to hang from once past the 15ft mark .
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Reviving this old thread because my new home doesn't have the proper trees (yet)

I have an unfinished basement with some 2x8 vertical joists, or whatever they're called...I'm construction clueless. Unfortunatley, they're only about 10' apart. I tried it anyway with my WBBB and it worked, but not ideal.

So I think I will try hanging from the rafters since I should be able to find a 20' span. I'm not sure if I'll use padeyes or just drill a hole. Drilling a hole in these scares me for some reason. Either way I'm looking forward to hanging indoors!

Consider going at an angle? If the room is 10 ft wide, an offset of just under 7 ft would give you a 12 ft hang. In a 10x10 room, corner to corner, you can get 14ft.

Here's mine. Of course, after I finished building it, I came up with modifications that I'd do next time.

I didn't want to drill into my walls for a couple reasons: First, they are lathe and plaster, a pain to repair. Second, I'm still trying to figure out my hang. If i ended up with a hook to high, I didn't want to drill ANOTHER hole and hope for the best.

The verticals are 2x10s fastened to 2x4s for stability. The cross piece is a 2x6 hinged in the middle. The hinge makes it easier to move around through the house to get it to the room, stores easier, and only has to be strong enough to support it's own weight. (the hinge is on the bottom). It's function is to hold the supports apart when I'm in it. The cross piece is not fastened to the verticals, but rests an a shelf made of a 2x2 scrap that I had laying around. The 2x2 on the opposite side is to make up the space left by the base board and quarter round. I've got a bit of padding (some scrap reflectix) taped to it to protect the walls a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Well I finally got some free time last night so I got the drill out and set up the Blackbird in the basement. This is a 20 or 21' span and gives the perfect angle. It sure is nice to have the exact same setup every time - just clip the carabiners on some rope loops and you're done!

I'll probably put a small screw in the wall for the shelf pullout, and hold the other pullout on the floor with a dumbbell.

I was tempted to throw Toby in there, but he probably would have freaked out. Plus, he really needs his nails trimmed!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12