Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images

Ripstop - $2.12/yd - Hancock Fabrics

Ripstop is on sale at Hancock Fabrics online or in-store for $2.49/yd.

If you are on their email list, there is also an additional 15% discount for all in-store purchases.

Time to make Ms. Chef her GrizzBridge!
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yup, posted this earlier and was over there this evening picking up fabric to make myself a double layer hammock. Daughter was along so had to get some to make here a purple hammock too!

It's a good deal if you've got a Hancock Fabrics nearby, just be aware that this stuff is heavy - probably 1.9oz/yd. Not for the gram counters among us. Color selection is a bit limited - no olive green.

I did also see some mosquito netting too for something like $4 a yard.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    They don't list this on their site, but I stopped by yesterday and they also have a basic camo (similar to M81 Woodland) that is $7.99 regular price and is on sale for $3.99 a yard.

They had all other colors in stock shown here
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/search...+nylon&y=0&x=0

EDIT: Found the camo hiding on their website as "rip stop" instead of "ripstop". http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Camofl...VVviewprod.htm

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Any idea what weight the stuff Hancock sells is? Wondering for us fat guy's wanting to make a DIY hammock, if it should be doubled and what it can be used for realistically?
    Do you guys buy your thread at places like Hancock? I know polyester is the way to go but was wondering if the Guterman they sell is suitable for our projects?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's 1.9 ripstop. As for thread, I just buy 100% polyester and it has been working great for me and my gear gets A LOT of trail time.

I snagged some navy blue to make a new hammock and some for a friend too.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    It's 1.9 ripstop. As for thread, I just buy 100% polyester and it has been working great for me and my gear gets A LOT of trail time.

I snagged some navy blue to make a new hammock and some for a friend too.

Fronkey
    Thanks Fronkey.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    HangFan - I just made a Double Layer hammock New Years Eve with the Hancock Fabrics ripstop. It is heavy weight stuff and I wouldn't have any concerns putting a big guy in the one I made (though I'm only about 165#). Mine came out at ~1.5 pounds with suspension. More about the project here

As Fronkey said, just grab whatever 100% Polyester thread they've got. Don't use cotton thread, it won't hold up.

As far as whether or not you NEED to do a double layer due to weight concerns (as opposed to wanting the DL to put pads in) the WBBB website has a useful reference of hammock material & weight limits. Basically single layer 1.7oz should handle 250# and 2 layers of 1.7oz 400#

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFan View Post
    Any idea what weight the stuff Hancock sells is? Wondering for us fat guy's wanting to make a DIY hammock, if it should be doubled and what it can be used for realistically?
    Do you guys buy your thread at places like Hancock? I know polyester is the way to go but was wondering if the Guterman they sell is suitable for our projects?
    Merlita is what I use from Hancocks. Works great has held up in my projects over time. My Hancock did not carry Guterman for the longest time. Now they do, but I've been so satisfied with Merlita that I haven't changed. Definitly do NOT buy the big spools from anybody, including some of our great suppliers on this forum. Watch the thread as you are spooling a bobbin. Merlita passes by smooth as glass. In other products you will see "clumps" of thread go by. I have 3 cones from different places and after noticing the wads during spooling I threw them away. The ultra light fabric needs small needles and those clumps just cause bird's nests and frustration.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    ...Definitly do NOT buy the big spools from anybody, including some of our great suppliers on this forum. Watch the thread as you are spooling a bobbin. Merlita passes by smooth as glass. In other products you will see "clumps" of thread go by. I have 3 cones from different places and after noticing the wads during spooling I threw them away...
    I don't know what you got a hold of, but I have never seen "clumps" or had any problems with Gutermann thread from two of "our great suppliers". I highly recommend both the thread and suppliers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I think I picked up some Merlita, too. The Hancock I went to didn't have Gutermann in 100% polyester, so I bought what they had. I think most of the store was 30-40% off, so I also picked up a rotary cutter, a new set of shears, and some spools of 1.5" grosgrain.

The Gutermann thread I got from one of the suppliers that frequents this forum hasn't given me any problems and I didn't notice any clumps at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast