Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Newbie Hanger!!! Looking for Suggestions

Hey fellow hangers, My name is Eric and I'm just getting into hanging. My family always had cheap backyard hammocks when I was a kid and I spent many hours hangin as a kid. Just last spring in Steamboat Springs, CO my girlfriend had just picked up an ENO double-nest hammock and we spent many hours hanging between aspen trees snuggling and falling in love. We moved to WA/OR for raft guiding and kayaking and one of my fellow guides Dereck from Arkansas informed us that hanging is an art and he slept in his hammock every night. We spent many nights hanging and some sleeping on my raft. I fell in love with hanging and have been dreaming about getting a bad-*** hammock for myself now that she broke up with me. So I've been doing on-line research(how a found this forum)looking to purchase a hammock.
    Been looking at the Warbonett double layer BB 1.1 or the Hennessy Expedition Asylm. Like that the Hennessy comes with a tarp and is less expensive, but the Warbonett BB seems to be the way to go. Looking for opinions on these and other suggestions you might have for a begginer hanger Oh yeah, mainly will be using for car/raft camping and occasional kayak self support camping. I'm 5'9 170

WBBB seems to be the popular choice. I myself am going to be getting a Lite Owl from wilderness logics after seeing one at a hang.

If I were to go with the WBBB though it'd def be the 1.1 double, dont' think you can go wrong. Different strokes for different folks, just gotta get one and see how you do in it, nice thing about here is especially with our cottage vendor stuff it retains it's value very well. Many times you're only out the shipping costs, especially if you got it to try out and didn't like it.

Welcome btw! Glad to have another hanger in the clan.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome from Louisiana.

Banned
    I appreciate it guys I feel like there is a lot of love in the hanging community. I'm still gonna spend some more time doing research before buying one. What are some good online places to order? just the warbonnet site for the BB? any sales goin on? ect..

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You are on the right track with WB. Look under Forums and you will find a vendors section with most of the suppliers. Their websites will keep you very busy researching gear. I "window shop" almost daily.

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I currently have an HH. It is a fairly inexpensive way to cover a lot of bases with a single purchase. Hammock, bugnet, and tarp in on convenient package. I would suggest going with the side zip option as well as the larger tarp they offer. I don't think it adds too much to the cost. I like my hammock but intend on modifying the bug net with a zipper or possibly cutting it, adding some additional length and simply draping it over the hammock. It's a great starter hammock. We also own an ENO double nest which is quite comfortable as well. I do intend to go with the blackbird for my next hammock. I like the ideal of the shelf as well as the foot box.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Banned
    Thanks man I like that the HH comes lots of stuff and the fact that you get a free cub zip and 2 snake skins with it for $150. But that foot box is the big seller for me on the WBBB along with the side zip and shelf, just looks uber comfy How is the HH comfort on a assymetric lay? and how would you say it compares in comfort to the eno double. Again I appreciate the replys you guys rock.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welceom to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Welcome from MI.
    Warbonnet user here. Really like it. I also use a DIY hammock. That is a pretty cheap way to go too.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the board!
    If ya liked the eno DN before the breakup, ya could always buy another one for yourself! There’s a bunch of us on here that really love them, including me! I’ve been hanging in mine for over a year now and love it. Check out the eno section here…
    Whatever ya buy you’ll love it and then buy another and love that one then buy another and so on! lol It’s an addiction and there’s no way around it!
    Have fun hangin’ in whatever ya buy…!
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast