Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    Maybe take some naps in the day time in the yard .I had to do that with my boy. he know will not git up when we go, I have to wake him up. I think the daytime naps help get it set for you and you used to it. Also they are right dif. Hammocks have dif. feels and lays. I love WB my boy now took my HH and my daughter uses an ENO. This was after many daytime naps in them to decide, before we hit the trail. I know it can get pricy we just put change in a jar until we get enough. Sorry for the rant just my 2 cents and who does not like a nap in the hammock, come on. (laughing)

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Make a topless hammock.
    Ditto,,, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    easy plans on making a hammock. no bug net

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I like the advice of a netless hammock. I use mine whenever there are no bugs because, of claustrophobia and it's easier to adjust the UQ (which is more critical the colder it gets). I think a zippered-bug-net mod might help you. The thought of using bottom entry only hammock, makes me squirm.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    You might consider trying a cheaper, open hammock without a bug net for your winter-hanging. There are a couple of useful, relatively inexpensive open hammocks you could try...grand trunk, etc...
    Agree. A claustrophobic may not be pleasantly thrilled in a closed up netted hammock filled up with pads, bags and clothing. For cold weather, I suggest- as several others have, a no net hammock, or at least one where you can get the net out of the way. Order a double layer WB Traveler or Claytor No Net ( $40 plus $15 shipping ). If you don't like the WB Traveler ($75 + shipping) you can sell it at a good price here. You need to be wide open on top, with the either the stars or the tarp hung well above you. Just get a big cheap Wal-mart tarp while experimenting, something that can protect you while being hung at standup height. On these double layer hammocks, you can put the pad in the pad pocket instead of inside the hammock with you, and it will work much better also. Sell the HH if you have to, or see if HH will take it back in swap for a zip model HH. Then you can leave the net open.

But an UQ or pad in a pad pocket under you will give you less wierd feeling than pads in the hammock and trying to stay on them. Also, if you have a bag warm and roomy enough, just use the bag rather than a bunch of clothing or liners in the bag. Plus if you can stay warm enough, use the bag as a quilt. All this will feel less claustrophobic.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-31-2011 at 00:10.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah don't give up right away.... took me a while till i could sleep in a hammock... still to this day there are nights when i only get a few hours of sleep but there few and far in between anymore but some people it takes some time
    also like others have said better gear makes for a better nights sleep i was never a fan of sleeping on pads .... much rather a UQ but they do cost money
    the good part about them is if you fine it's not for you ,you can always sell it and get most of your money back
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    I had a HH and the bottom entry was not for me with the sown bug net. I had the same feeling so I sold it and bought one with the zipper option and that was what I needed. For some reason I just did not like the sown in bug net and bottom entry, being able to unzip the net makes a big difference for me,I am not claustrophobia. The HH is a very good hammock and very comfortable I am a big guy and need the room.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've heard some folk say that they never sleep too well on the first night of a trip, sleep is much improved on the second or night.

I used to be restless, especially in the morning. I'd be waking up every hour or every time I rolled over. Over time it's just got better and better.

I'd say try and get out for a few nights and see how you get on.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Brutus, I was in the same boat you were in. Couldn't fall asleep in a hammock but on the ground sleep in 10 minutes. I was all but going to give up on hammock camping. Here is a link: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42319
    I want to express my gratitude and generosity for this hammock community. dejoha gave a copy of his new book. "The Ultimate Hang An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping"
    http://theultimatehang.com/
    In the spirt of Pay it Forward I would like to give this autographed copy to you if you would like it. It is a great book and has some great information with great illustrations. Just shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you .
    Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I've heard some folk say that they never sleep too well on the first night of a trip, sleep is much improved on the second or night.

I used to be restless, especially in the morning. I'd be waking up every hour or every time I rolled over. Over time it's just got better and better.

I'd say try and get out for a few nights and see how you get on.
    Yep I'm definitely with Shewie on this one. Invariabley I find it hard on my first night out to get a good nights sleep. If I do a week by the second or third morning, I'm sleeping in.
    Its a wierd feeling, but on the second or third morning the same hammock I had problems getting comfy in, just feels fabulous.
    cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm also a member of the claustrophobia club. I can't even imagine trying to sleep in a bottom entry hammock. At the very least, try a hammock with a side zipper. I have experienced many times the feeling of being entombed in the dark of night followed by the frantic search for the zipper. It's even worse in my Clark with the weathershield zipped but I've done it.

I've always been able to overcome it and get back to sleep. If it lingers I sometimes leave about six inches of the netting unzipped. I believe psychologically it helps and it's much easier to find the zippers. I know it's all in the mind....I also try to play some mental gymnastics which often helps.

Having said all that, I once slept 13 straight hours in one of my hammocks, so give a side zip a try before going back to ground. Another suggestion is to try a netless hammock and then buy one of those seperate nets without a zipper. They simply gather under your hammock with a bungee corded opening I believe. That way if a panic attack came on, all you'd have to do is pull up on the netting and you'd be out, without the frantic search of the zipper. You could make the hammock cheaply ....all you'd have to buy is the netting. I'm not sure who makes those nets but it's someone on HFs.

Good luck, Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast