Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    What kind of amsteel straps do you use? How wide are they?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Nice looking kit list

Have you noticed any tree damage using the Amsteel straps as opposed to webbing? This would be a big weight/bulk saver if I did the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by floorman View Post
    What kind of amsteel straps do you use? How wide are they?
    Glad to see that this is being addressed .. sure would like to see you use something to protect the trees .. this is the major issue getting hammock camping approved by the Rangers .. This is an instance where a once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    that being said ... that sure is a nice looking set-up you have there .. looking forward to your performance reports ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I'm using the Nano 7, JRB Steath, 20* Cuben Phoenix, custom cuben poncho tarp, and PapaSmurf winter sock comfy down to the high 20s/low 30s.
    I sleep with some extra layers and my JRB sleeves over my feet/lower legs and a small sit pad under my feet.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Charlieb! Check out mydiygear.com the hammock sock is made by papa smuf. It pulls up over the whole hammock. I hope between uq. Sock & clothing the tq will work just fine.

Glp. I think next weekend my pack weight should come in just under 10lbs before consumables. We'll see. Depends on weather & if I decide to throw in an extra layer of clothes.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
    That's very impressive! I can't even get my pack to that type of weight in mid summer! I'd love to know how you are doing that!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    I'm using the Nano 7, JRB Steath, 20* Cuben Phoenix, custom cuben poncho tarp, and PapaSmurf winter sock comfy down to the high 20s/low 30s.
    I sleep with some extra layers and my JRB sleeves over my feet/lower legs and a small sit pad under my feet.
    I've seen you're set-up .. and know it's light .. but what's the weight R00K ??
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Shadow alpha, do you use snakeskins on your tarp? I've found them to have several advantages, including a big help while setting up in wind.
    Keeping the tarp in the skins while attaching the ridge line to the trees prevents the wind from grabbing the tarp out of your hands.
    If you have set up crosswise to the wind, the tarp will blow to one side upon removing the skins. That side can be staked with a reasonable amount of effort since its on the downwind side. Now comes the unavoidable "fun" part - the last side.

I love your setup! It's not only lightweight, it's extremely comfortable and you haven't compromised on safety!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Good luck with it. I did a sub 10 pound winter hike last year. I was thinking of revisiting that project again this winter.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Here is the packing list: www.hikinghq.net/winter-ultra-light.html

I never finished the page because I didn't consider the hike a total success. The snow was so bad I couldn't make the mileages I had planned. I had planned for cold, but not knee deep snow! We got a killer snow storm that January and I spent the rest of the weekend digging out my house, my mother's house, and pulling people out of ditches with my truck.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    here's my list My numbers are showing 8.75lbs with no consumables. using a manual postal scale to get these weights. The scale seems fairly accurate when I have mailed items - weighing it at home then bringing to post office. But to be fair -- in an earlier post I'm calling it just under 10lbs.

Only thing that's not really up to date on the list is the newest stove with picture. stove kit will come in at about 5.5 - 6.5 ozs. I'll add more of a breakdown & pics later.

Mad777. I do have mesh tarp sleeves on my superfly tarp. I should switch it out to the cuben tarp. it's all about the comfort & being safe!

SGT Rock. I dont expect knee deep snow - unless mother nature goes really crazy I'm in NW GA. so most of my battle during winter months is below freezing temps at night & winter winds. I might welcome the snow rather than the wind. Live up north all my life - knee deep snow was much better than dealing with wind or ice. I like that list..

CharlieB - another addition to the 3 season TQ is the aluminum bottle to use as warmer if needed -- plus I'll wear 2 pairs of fleece socks at night, hat & wristies. my down jacket becomes a pillow.

re: amsteel tree straps. its regular blue amsteel where I use sticks under the lines. Have thought about trying a piece of reflectix -- might test it later today. However, have never noticed any tree damage. I have more concern about my tarp ridgeline seems to be tighter around the trees than my hammock setup - even when I am laying in it.

I think the main factor in bringing weight down is using traveler hammock & cuben tarp. I don't pack extra clothing. For a 2 night weekend trip I don't change clothes.

Enjoy!

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    SGT Rock. I dont expect knee deep snow - unless mother nature goes really crazy I'm in NW GA. so most of my battle during winter months is below freezing temps at night & winter winds. I might welcome the snow rather than the wind. Live up north all my life - knee deep snow was much better than dealing with wind or ice. I like that list..
    LOL, neither was I. We do get some snow here, but I didn't expect that - and it was out of character for the area.

I was just looking at your list and it looks like you are expecting warmer temps then I was on my winter hike.

I'm thinking for my next winter sub 10 trying over at Wigg Meadow and such in Cherokee.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast