BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

3.26 pound winter sleep system, baby!

Attention all gram weenies. Here is proof that winter hammock camping can qualify as ULTRALIGHT. Here is my setup.

I use a down mummy bag pulled peapod style around my hammock. This works for me down to 5 degrees, with a cuben vapor barrie liner and some clothing on top of the VBL, inside the bag. Here goes.

Bag: Sierra Designs Nitro 15 down mummy. Footbox zipper allows the peapod use. Nice! 34 ounces.

Hammock -- Grand Trunk Nano 7 with whoopies and a fixed structural ridgeline made of zing-it 6.3 ounces

Tree straps -- one 10 footer and one 6 footer with an amsteel extension for big trees total 4.43 ounces.

Tarp -- zpacks cuben fiber hammock tarp with doors. Weight shown here includes 8 guylines, continuous ridgeline and 4 carbon fiber stakes 11.5 ounces, including cuben stuff sacks for the tarp and the stakes.

cuben fiber vapor barrier liner for the bag, from zpacks, 1.8 ounces. This is vitally important for maximizing warmth in an ultralight setup and also for keeping sweat vapor out of the down bag, which adds weight each day and subtracts warmth. I sleep inside the vbl wearing just smartwool longjohn top and bottoms. I put my down jacket inside the sleeping bag but on top of the VBL, almost like a mini quilt above the vbl to add more loft warmth in the bag.

Not counted in this weight are my neck gaiter and blackrock down hat, since I would be carrying them anyway to wear in camp and on hiking breaks.

So there you have it. a 3.26 pound winter sleeping system. Ultra comfortable, ultralight. Ultra warm. (ultra expensive, though. Sigh. That cuben fiber is way too expensive. When will Walmart start carrying it??)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Very cool. I mean, ummm, warm! Any chance of seeing some pictures?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Shenandoah
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    +1 on pictures. I'd like to see how a diagonal lay in a hammock works with the sleeping bag around the outside. I tried this with a rectangular bag and it made big gaps on each raised side of the hammock.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

diagonal lay

Quote Originally Posted by Derizen View Post
    +1 on pictures. I'd like to see how a diagonal lay in a hammock works with the sleeping bag around the outside. I tried this with a rectangular bag and it made big gaps on each raised side of the hammock.
    Since I solo hike, I can't photograph myself in the rig unless I would set my camera on timer and then run around like the three stooges in time to get in the bag before the camera flashes. I will admit that in the Nano 7 with the bag around it, you can't get very diagonal. I'm 5 ft 10 and weigh about 155. For whatever reason, a diagonal lay isn't really important to me. I find if I put my pack at the head of the hammock, clipped to where the whoopie attaches and them ball up an extra item of clothing under my knees I am quite comfortable without having to achieve a very diagonal lay. People's comfort with this probably varies quite a bit so you pretty much have to try it to know if it works for you.

Here is a video from last season. I've since switched to a 900 fill bag and ditched the stupid-heavy little piece of hardware I used to use so I could unclip the ridgeline to pull the hammock through the bag. Now I use a nacrabiner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9hZYe4dno

Images
    Hey Moto, most impressive! Interesting to see another VB user, and clearly it is helping you get the most warmth for a given weight and bulk. I am a bit of a VB fan myself, though I have not yet used a bag liner. Mine VB experience has been, in order of extent:
    1: A space blanket on top of my HHSS OCF pad and inside the HHSS Sil-nylon ( also VB) undercover.
    2: Space blanket inside my PeaPod, between my hammock and all insulation.
    3: VB socks under wool socks and on top of thinnest liner socks(1st used all the way back in 84)
    4: Most recently, Stephensons Warmlite VB clothing ( shirt and socks) worn right next to skin, which have a built in thin liner called "Fuzzystuff". Very comfortable next to skin. I hope to try out some pants of this material in the near future.

In my experience so far, my VB use has always kept me a good bit warmer and, at least for everything except right next to my skin, drier. Good to see someone else using this approach and see it working for them. There are a few of us, but not many.

It is great that you have been able to use a 15F down bag pod style, for top and bottom insulation, and be warm down to 5F! Hat is off to you!

Images
    what is your height and weight if i may ask?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Here it is

Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    l. I'm 5 ft 10 and weigh about 155.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    Here it is
    r u the OP?????
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    He may not be the OP, but he did find a quote from the OP stating height and weight. That counts doesn't it?

The quote was from post #4 above by the way.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do you find that you have some empty space over your chest/torso area when the bag is zipped up?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast